2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, Gopher Trace said:

Same here. I'd say I've zeroed in on Fitz and James for our pick at 14, and I like what Fitz brings to the table a hair better.

I’m a good bit higher on Fitz than Derwin but would be happy with either. I honestly think Fitz is a young Charles Woodson and would be a playmaker for our D.

17 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Miller isn’t going to make it to pick 100. I’d expect him gone before pick 75.

I think there are going to be a few teams who are higher on him than most, but I don't think that 75-100 range isn't too much of a stretch.

17 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Ok but you just named 2 “special” safeties and said he not that. So, why are you so high on him for our 14th pick? End of the first topmof the second, I’m all over him with you. But, what do I know. I just don’t see “It” when I watch him. 

Because there's literally not much on the football field he can't do.  Elite safeties go off the board well before the Packers would be in range to pick.  If you think you're getting a guy like Derwin James late 1st, early 2nd I think you're looking at unrealistic expectations.  In the last 3 years, the safeties drafted in that range have been Jabril Peppers, Budda Baker, Marcus Maye, Marcus Williams, Byron Jones, and Landon Collins.  Of those prospects, how many of them are as good as Derwin James?  None.  Safeties as good as James don't last that long.

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Doubtful but it could. I might lead Nelson in the ultimate worst case there. More of a need but Vea may serve as our DT next year. If you draft Vea, where would he play considering Clark?

I'd sooner dip into that second tier of CBs (Jaire Alexander, Isaiah Oliver, etc.) before I take Nelson.

48 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

I put 2-3 cause I was talking about a (hypothetical) elite years of play, you'd still have him for 5 years if you pick up the rookie option. For 5 years of good play, including 2-3 of elite, absolutely it is! Now, we're talking hypotheticals here, I still dont want Nelson, I just don't think the reasoning stated is logical.

Best case scenario, you've used your highest pick in years on a non-premium position for the right to pay him elite OG money in a few years.  That's not a wise use of resources, especially when the Packers RG position hasn't killed offensive production.  I think the only way you find a situation where you're taking Nelson is if you moved down into the 20s and the board is obliterated.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because there's literally not much on the football field he can't do.  Elite safeties go off the board well before the Packers would be in range to pick.  If you think you're getting a guy like Derwin James late 1st, early 2nd I think you're looking at unrealistic expectations.  In the last 3 years, the safeties drafted in that range have been Jabril Peppers, Budda Baker, Marcus Maye, Marcus Williams, Byron Jones, and Landon Collins.  Of those prospects, how many of them are as good as Derwin James?  None.  Safeties as good as James don't last that long.

That’s just it. I don’t see him as being that good. His film is not great. He does a lot but does he do it well? I don’t see it. 

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Then you auction off our pick to the highest bidder.

I'd look to do the same. Only other guy I'd consider at 14 is LVE because he's unique. If we draft a CB at 14 not named Ward, I'll be disappointed.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd look to do the same. Only other guy I'd consider at 14 is LVE because he's unique. If we draft a CB at 14 not named Ward, I'll be disappointed.

I like Hughes and Alexander a lot too. I wouldn't be upset at all getting either at 14 if the board blew up. You can say trade back all you want, in the case of that scenario from the tweet, who the heck is anyone going to want to move up for? Vea or Lamar Jackson is it, and I doubt anyone is paying you close to the picks worth for that, unless you're a bottom half team that's fallen in love with Jackson and you want the jump ARI.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I like Hughes and Alexander a lot too. I wouldn't be upset at all getting either at 14 if the board blew up. You can say trade back all you want, in the case of that scenario from the tweet, who the heck is anyone going to want to move up for? Vea or Lamar Jackson is it, and I doubt anyone is paying you close to the picks worth for that, unless you're a bottom half team that's fallen in love with Jackson and you want the jump ARI.

Based on the initial tweet by Andy Herman, you've got Marcus Davenport available.  Obviously, not ideal but probably ends up being my selection.  Someone suggested that what would you do if the Bills opted for Davenport instead of Rosen (an unlikely scenario IMO), at which point you'd be dangling Rosen out and see what teams would bite.  My guess is between Arizona, Baltimore, and Los Angeles would all have interest in moving up that pick relatively soon after the Packers pick.  I'd imagine that New Orleans at 27 would have some level of interest, and I think depending on the price New England would have interest as well.

Just wanted to do a fun check on the averages from the last 5 years draft.  On average, we've got this many players go in each round.

QB - 1.6
RB - 1
WR - 4.2
TE - 1
OL - 6
DL (Non-Rush) - 3.4
EDGE - 3.6
LB - 1.4
CB - 4.6
S - 2.6

Remember, these are nothing more than averages over the last five years.  Obviously in certain years, you're going to see more taken one year than the next.  We're likely to see at least 4 QBs (Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen) drafted in the 1st, with a potential 5th taken. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because we're not talking about a Mike Evans or Julio Jones-level of WR, why would you take one that high?

uh....OBJ? Not my favorite guy, but you have to respect the talent.

Certainly not endorsing a Calvin Ridley pick. If that occurred, it would have to be entered as the 134th entry under the word "stupidity."

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

uh....OBJ? Not my favorite guy, but you have to respect the talent.

Certainly not endorsing a Calvin Ridley pick. If that occurred, it would have to be entered as the 134th entry under the word "stupidity."

I'd make the argument that OBJ was the exception, not the rule.

Archived