2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

If the GB is reluctant to move that first pick in the 4th round in an opportunity to trade up to get a more talented player....that would be really sad. 

I don't think it's a situation where they'd refuse to move it, I think they'd just prefer to hold onto the pick and use it on a player.  More bites at the apple so to speak.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm sick and tired of drafting CBs in the first round. Seems we're ALWAYS pulling from this talent pool to fill a need. I got it - a handful of them are needed in a pass happy league and because of injury / FA / poor talent evaluating or drafting - we're back at the trough looking for some life saving water - but I've tired of the exercise and either wish we'd get the selection right, get lucky injury-wise or win the LOTTO and that player gives us some years worth of "Dont worry about this spot cause I got it covered" production.

lol it was 2 drafts. And one of them is barely past his rookie season. Over dramatic much?

13 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

It was a big story last year and other teams are talking about it too so maybe we get a little extra trade value from it. Someone on the Vikings forum was talking about wanting the first pick in the 4th over a 3rd comp if they traded back.

I mean, you're on the clock for the ~12 hours or whatever instead of the ~8 minutes.  You're able to take time to sift through your board, figure out where the draft runs are going to likely come, and actually look at all the trade offers in detail.  Having the first pick in the 4th round is more valuable than the last pick in the 3rd round in terms of flexibility.

1 minute ago, TransientTexan said:

lol it was 2 drafts. And one of them is barely past his rookie season. Over dramatic much?

No drama involved. It was two drafts (as you say) and we're back at it for a third. I'm tired of pouring top draft selections into this position group.

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

No drama involved. It was two drafts (as you say) and we're back at it for a third. I'm tired of pouring top draft selections into this position group.

I mean Randall didn't work out, Rollins got hurt, King is only 1 year in. It's not as much poured in as you think. Also picking higher each round will give us a better shot at getting better  players opposed to when we picked in the 20s for years and years.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm sick and tired of drafting CBs in the first round. Seems we're ALWAYS pulling from this talent pool to fill a need. I got it - a handful of them are needed in a pass happy league and because of injury / FA / poor talent evaluating or drafting - we're back at the trough looking for some life saving water - but I've tired of the exercise and either wish we'd get the selection right, get lucky injury-wise or win the LOTTO and that player gives us some years worth of "Dont worry about this spot cause I got it covered" production.

I'd make the argument that CB is in that second tier in terms of positional value along with LT and EDGE.  You can never have too many good corners, and they ALWAYS get overpaid in FA.

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Part of the value of Derwin James is that he's a clear 3-down player.  Just watching that first two minutes of the Alabama game, how many different roles did he play?  By my count 3.  He was a single high safety on the RB run, he played slot corner, and he was a pass rusher all within the first two minutes of the game.

I get that but his best play he made was blitzing and batting a ball back that the QB caught and ran with. My issue is that he doesn’t hustle after that and almost seems to have given up and let others Run the QB down. 

3 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I get that but his best play he made was blitzing and batting a ball back that the QB caught and ran with. My issue is that he doesn’t hustle after that and almost seems to have given up and let others Run the QB down. 

I'll be honest, I think your expectations aren't at the right place.  He's not Earl Thomas in terms of range, and he's obviously not Sean Taylor.  But the best thing a DB can do is be invisible, and he's still making plays all over the field.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think it's a situation where they'd refuse to move it, I think they'd just prefer to hold onto the pick and use it on a player.  More bites at the apple so to speak.

Mores bites at the apple after 90+ bites have been taken.  

If that 4.1 puck is what is needed to move up from 45 to the early 30's to get a player at the end of a tier you would do it.

GB has 12 bites at the apple already.  Need to get better quality bites over raw quantity bites .

Seems like lunch time......

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'd make the argument that CB is in that second tier in terms of positional value along with LT and EDGE.  You can never have too many good corners, and they ALWAYS get overpaid in FA.

True. You need ALOT of CBs to fill out a secondary. Starters then proficient backups / nickle's & dime's. I just wish it was #3 on our current "needs list".

With less than a week to go, it's pretty simple to me. I'm 90% confident at 14 we get a shot at one of these four: James, Fitz, Landry, Davenport.

I'll be pretty disappointed if our pick is anyone else but one of those 4, but if the doomsday scenario happens, I take LVE at 14 over Hughes, Alexander, Jackson etc. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

With less than a week to go, it's pretty simple to me. I'm 90% confident at 14 we get a shot at one of these four: James, Fitz, Landry, Davenport.

I'll be pretty disappointed if our pick is anyone else but one of those 4, but if the doomsday scenario happens, I take LVE at 14 over Hughes, Alexander, Jackson etc. 

Hard to imagine a scenario where one of those guys isn't there. If they're all somehow gone, that means Edmunds or Ward is probably available.

18 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Hard to imagine a scenario where one of those guys isn't there. If they're all somehow gone, that means Edmunds or Ward is probably available.

Bigger concern is if a QB unexpectedly falls like Allen or Mayfield. Could see Landry and Davenport both go between 11 and 13 and Mayfield is left on the board.

Archived