2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

5 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Can you elaborate?

There are, at least, 14 players worth more than him? Taking a WR, especially a guy that's not a true #1, in the 1st round isn't smart. Especially when the supposed #1 WR in the class isn't in a tier above most of his peers. 

55 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Nelson is one of the 10 I'd be happy with but all 4 of those guys are higher.

Well, again, I'm not saying that we should pick Nelson over one of those four. Just that we at least pause and consider it first. Why? Well, while no prospect is an absolute "sure thing", arguably some come with less question marks than others. So the appeal of Nelson to some would be that--less bust potential. Every one of those other four gives me question marks: 

Ward: Is he limited to slot CB? (Do you spend pick 14 on a slot cb?)

Fitzgerald: Is he a jack of all trades, master of none? 

Edmunds: Football IQ/recognition skills?

James: Pass coverage/ball skills? 

Now, again, I'm NOT saying I'd pick Nelson over one of those other guys given each of them meet a higher priority need than RG, just that they may be less a sure thing than Nelson, and getting it right with our first round pick is something we all want. Just trying to add something different to think about to this discussion thread. :)

@HorizontoZenith

What size shajersey? Smeedium or MediumHusky?

https://amp.packersnews.com/amp/537543002?__twitter_impression=true

PETE DOUGHERTY | USA TODAY NETWORK-WISCONSIN

“Here’s a look at some of the possibilities:

Quenton Nelson

How’s this for an example of the varying ways that different experts see the same players and predict the way the top of the first round will go? I asked five NFL scouts about the chances that Nelson, the Notre Dame guard, would make it to 14. Three said unlikely, one said no way, and another assured me he’ll still be on the board.

If by chance Nelson is available at 14, he’d have to give Gutekunst pause. Guard is not a primary position in the NFL, but the Packers have an open starting spot at right guard, and some scouts think Nelson is an uncommonly good prospect for his position.

“I think he’s the best player in the draft,” one longtime scout said. “You plug him in, he’s going to play 12 to 15 years and be great every one of them. He’s got Zack Martin — he might be a little bit better player than Zack Martin, and Zack Martin is a Pro Bowl guy every single year.”

Said another scout: “I would draft him immediately at 14 (if he’s available).”

Said a third scout: “I wouldn’t take a guard that high. But if that’s your guy, and you have him targeted and you feel comfortable with that, then you either sit and pick or go get him. But that’s a little rich for a guard.”

I'm a big fan of reading in-between the lines on a prospect. I like listening to them interview, just to hear if they give scripted answers, sincere answers or just flat-out uneducated answers that let me know they are just happy to "make it to the league". I love seeing prospects with honest answers showing ownership and that they have that mental gear showing they can evolve and adapt.

I know most here are bipartisan on Minkah, but one things for sure....I'd give him a job if he's sitting there on Draft Day. Thankfully his tape is matching his mouth.

His combine interview stating how he practiced a lot learning the nickel corner, and the subtle duties that corner position holds in being part slot corner, part safety. Then growing from a "leader by action" to a more vocal type, the reason why he did so and his follow through in getting on to other DBs because he loved them and wanted to see the best of them. Just a sincere, honest, dynamic professional.

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

If OG Nelson was somehow still on the board at #14, do you take him, even if RG is a lower priority need compared to Edge/CB or even RT? Perhaps getting a potential 10 yr. mainstay, Steve Hutchinson level player at RG is a luxury we can't afford given all the other higher priority needs we have, and he might be more suited to a man scheme than zone, though he'd be good in either.  But I guess I'd have to at least pause and consider it, even if one of Ward/Fitz/Edmunds/James is still on board at 14. Again, I may pass on him for one of those other guys, but I'd at least pause and consider it. 

Other than the obvious reasons of addressing the defense, I would think you have to look at Neslon as a 4 year guy. After that, if he lives up to expectations, you're looking at a guard that wants tackle money. It's tough to make that pick a long term cornerstone worthy of the investment

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I still don't want Nelson over guys like Ward, Fitz, Roquan, Edmunds, and James. 

It’s possible those guys are all gone along with 4 QB’s, Bark and the 3 EDGE guys. We NEED 5 QB’s to go before us or we could be looking at Nelson and Vea as our best option. 

10 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

It’s possible those guys are all gone along with 4 QB’s, Bark and the 3 EDGE guys. We NEED 5 QB’s to go before us or we could be looking at Nelson and Vea as our best option. 

I'd probably bite the bullet and take Landry in that case.  I really have no interest in a guard at #14 no matter how good he is.  We've seen over the years in Green Bay that you can get high quality guards much later in the draft. 

Archived