2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

20 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Have any idea how expensive that would be?  Trading to 7 isn't going to happen.  Going to 9 would probably cost us our 3rd round pick at a minimum probably more.  Ward may fall into our laps at 14 without having to trade up.  Really think trading up in the 1st is a bad idea.  Too costly.  We aren't that desperate.  If anything would rather we trade back and pick up some additional draft capital.  Move back 4 or 5 spots and take Davenport or Landry.  Probably could score a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.  We might have to trade up in the 2nd to get our corner.  Alexander, Oliver, or Davis.  To move up might cost us our 4th.  So we move back a bit in the first and up in the 2nd.  End up moving up a bit from the 4th to 3rd round and get the 2 guys we need.  Ideal scenario but not likely.  Chances are Gute will stay put and take the BPA that falls to us.  It will either be Ward, James, or Davenport.

He's not falling in our lap.  That'd bunk history of the last near decade.  The latest the first CB has gone since 2010 was 11th overall, and that happened last year with Marshon Lattimore and back when the Vikings took Trae Waynes in the 1st round.  I really, really would't get my hopes up that Ward is going to fall.  But I definitely agree that trading up in the 1st is a general bad idea.

17 hours ago, cannondale said:

It would take our first pick the the fourth along with 45 to move up to 35

I think I would do that depending on who is available, and I support exercising as many picks as possible this year

Historically speaking, it's generally a 4th round pick to move up in the 2nd round and I think that's a price the Packers would gladly pay if there was a CB they liked still available.  The problem I'm having is that I think the Packers wanted that first pick on Day 3 for a reason.  Nothing more than a gut feeling on this one, but it seems like that will be where teams start taking those gambles on those health and character concern risks.  Maybe it's just me, but that pick was as much the reason for the Randall trade as the Kizer acquisition was.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's not falling in our lap.  That'd bunk history of the last near decade.  The latest the first CB has gone since 2010 was 11th overall, and that happened last year with Marshon Lattimore and back when the Vikings took Trae Waynes in the 1st round.  I really, really would't get my hopes up that Ward is going to fall.  But I definitely agree that trading up in the 1st is a general bad idea.

Yeah, I have zero faith that Ward will be on the board at 14. I'm fully expecting one of the EDGE guys being the pick or trading back.

6 hours ago, cannondale said:

Do yourself a favor and look at any of the numerous trade value charts available. Once you see the cost to make a leap like that, you will think twice

Historically speaking, it's been a 4th to move back up from the mid 2nd into the early 2nd.  Figure you're adding a bit of premium to move into the late 1st to make sure you don't beat other offers.  If you combine the Packers 2nd and 3rd round picks, the Packers could move to the 28th pick, but I think it's unlikely the Packers want to go 73 picks in between their picks, so scoot them down a bit and add something in return.  Let's say Philadelphia wants to move down, so we send them our 2nd and 3rd round picks and they send their 1st (32nd) and 5th (169th).  Basically, if we're making that move up the board we're kicking one of our major needs (WR, CB, and EDGE) to next year.  It's probably not the move we want to make, unless we've moved backwards from our original 1st.

Let's say this scenario plays out, San Diego or Baltimore wants to jump Arizona to grab their QB (say Lamar Jackson).  They'll offer their 3rd round pick.  We move back a few spots, and are still able to take Harold Landry/Derwin James/Marcus Davenport.  We then do that trade with the Eagles, and grab our CB (pick your choice).  Then in the 3rd round, we have either our original pick or the one we received in the trade down to find a WR, say Deasean Hamilton.  If we came out of the draft with Harold Landry, Isaiah Oliver, and Daesean Hamilton with our top 3 picks, I'm stoked.

10 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

lol Mel and Todd's mock draft on ESPN2 has us taking Calvin Ridley. They are both hacks.

They're literally click baits.  I don't take their mocks seriously, since their paid by the amount of clicks they get.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're literally click baits.  I don't take their mocks seriously, since their paid by the amount of clicks they get.

Oh, I don't either. I just laughed when I saw it. I could deal with someone like Jaire Alexander or whatever due to the fact that it's a premium position. It's like they don't have any idea how teams really draft.

5 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Oh, I don't either. I just laughed when I saw it. I could deal with someone like Jaire Alexander or whatever due to the fact that it's a premium position. It's like they don't have any idea how teams really draft.

I mean, the casual Packers fan probably isn't all in line with the Packers situation, and the Packers released Jordy Nelson and didn't really replace him.  A WR is an easy slot for guys like Kiper/McShay to make.

29 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Yeah, I have zero faith that Ward will be on the board at 14. I'm fully expecting one of the EDGE guys being the pick or trading back.

He's not your prototypical corner.  Little short and a little light.  Good cover guy but don't think he'll go that high.  We'll see.  Anywhere in the top 20 but think the Pack has a 50/50 chance he'll be there at 14.  Even if he's there   Gute may opt for a OLB instead.  CB is a deep class but not strong at the top.  We will see a few surprises.  Some guys will go earlier than expected others will fall.  Guess I am not buying into Ward as much as others.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

He's not your prototypical corner.  Little short and a little light.  Good cover guy but don't think he'll go that high.  We'll see.  Anywhere in the top 20 but think the Pack has a 50/50 chance he'll be there at 14.  Even if he's there   Gute may opt for a OLB instead.  CB is a deep class but not strong at the top.  We will see a few surprises.  Some guys will go earlier than expected others will fall.  Guess I am not buying into Ward as much as others.  

You'd have a point if he played short and light but he doesn't. He can high point the football and he's a tough, physical corner. He'll go top 10.

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

No chance in hell Ward drops to 14 IMO. I could see Edmunds, James, Fitz or Smith fall to 14 before Ward. He won't make it out of the top 10.

He's also the only CB I'd consider at 14. Not another one in this draft in the top 20 for me. Bunch of CBs in the 25-40 range. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Historically speaking, it's generally a 4th round pick to move up in the 2nd round and I think that's a price the Packers would gladly pay if there was a CB they liked still available.  The problem I'm having is that I think the Packers wanted that first pick on Day 3 for a reason.  Nothing more than a gut feeling on this one, but it seems like that will be where teams start taking those gambles on those health and character concern risks.  Maybe it's just me, but that pick was as much the reason for the Randall trade as the Kizer acquisition was.

The Packers definitely like that pick. This goes back to when bad front offices weren't as organized during the 2 day draft. Now the draft is spread over so many days, it allows even bad front offices to re-group so I don't know if it is quite as valuable, but still a premium to be first on day 3. I remember reading that somewhere - maybe from Andrew Brandt - don't remember.

Also the bad teams at the top of the 2nd might be reluctant to move down. They know the value as well and want to have 2 slam dunk picks to turn their fortune.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

If the GB is reluctant to move that first pick in the 4th round in an opportunity to trade up to get a more talented player....that would be really sad. 

It was a big story last year and other teams are talking about it too so maybe we get a little extra trade value from it. Someone on the Vikings forum was talking about wanting the first pick in the 4th over a 3rd comp if they traded back.

Archived