2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

3 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

lol Mel and Todd's mock draft on ESPN2 has us taking Calvin Ridley. They are both hacks.

I don’t want Ridley or any WR at 14 but it’s funny how if people told us we’d have a shot Ridley like 8 months ago many wouldn’t have believed them

Per McGinn

“This is the worst wide-receiver draft I’ve seen in my life,” one grizzled personnel man exclaimed. “Name me a first-rounder other than Ridley?”

The favorite to be the first wideout picked certainly is Alabama’s Calvin Ridley, a lithe route runner who took over for departed Amari Cooper as a true freshman in 2015 and averaged 74.7 receptions per season in an NFL-preferred, pro-style offense.

In a poll of 14 scouts requesting them to name their top five wide receivers in order, Ridley drew 11 first-place votes to win going away.

Ridley’s 65 points (5 for a first, 4 for a second and so on) easily outpaced Maryland’s D.J. Moore (40 points), SMU’s Courtland Sutton (30, one first),
Texas A&M’s Christian Kirk (24, one first), Oklahoma State’s James Washington (20) and Memphis’ Anthony Miller (13, one).

Following, in order, were LSU’s D.J. Chark (eight), Washington’s Dante Pettis (seven) and UCLA’s Jordan Lasley (three).

“Ridley is the only one worthy of a first-round pick,” said another executive. “There’s nobody in the top 15. He’s not as good as Amari Cooper, but that type.”

Over the years, coaches and scouts have come to classify wide receivers as 1’s, 2’s, 3’s, 4’s and 5’s. Five scouts said Ridley shouldn’t be considered a No. 1 receiver.

“Every offensive coordinator would love him but he doesn’t have the dominant triangle numbers (height, weight, speed) to really be a top-tier guy like Calvin Johnson or Julio (Jones) or A.J. Green,” one scout said. “His size bothers me.”

Not only does Ridley (6-0 ½, 190) lack size, he worked out like a late-round draft choice at the combine. The vertical jump (31 inches) and the broad jump (9-2) were stunningly ordinary. According to one scout whose team throws all kind of current-historical data into a computer to gather positional rankings, Ridley fell somewhere in the 80’s at wide receiver this year.

5 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I'd gladly take him.

No thanks. Far better value going CB/EDGE in 1 and grabbing WR depth on day 2 or 3. Example, Anthony Miller with pick 101 is far greater value than Ridley at 14. Miller is going to be THE guy from this draft at WR.

I'm sick and tired of drafting CBs in the first round. Seems we're ALWAYS pulling from this talent pool to fill a need. I got it - a handful of them are needed in a pass happy league and because of injury / FA / poor talent evaluating or drafting - we're back at the trough looking for some life saving water - but I've tired of the exercise and either wish we'd get the selection right, get lucky injury-wise or win the LOTTO and that player gives us some years worth of "Dont worry about this spot cause I got it covered" production.

17 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I think the one vs Alabama is pretty darn good.

I watched the first half and didn’t think much. I’ll have to go watch th whole thing again. I see an athlete but there is some lack of hustle and he doesn’t always stick his nose in there. Also times when coverage wasn’t good but Bama QB never looked his way. I guess I’m just so so on him. 

6 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

No thanks. Far better value going CB/EDGE in 1 and grabbing WR depth on day 2 or 3. Example, Anthony Miller with pick 101 is far greater value than Ridley at 14. Miller is going to be THE guy from this draft at WR.

I agree. Ridley would be a great value at 101 as well. I lov his tape but dang those numbers!  Scouts think this draft for WR is terrible but I feel only for the first 2 rounds. I have like 15 WR’s I’d love to draft between the 3-5 round this year. 

7 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I watched the first half and didn’t think much. I’ll have to go watch th whole thing again. I see an athlete but there is some lack of hustle and he doesn’t always stick his nose in there. Also times when coverage wasn’t good but Bama QB never looked his way. I guess I’m just so so on him. 

Part of the value of Derwin James is that he's a clear 3-down player.  Just watching that first two minutes of the Alabama game, how many different roles did he play?  By my count 3.  He was a single high safety on the RB run, he played slot corner, and he was a pass rusher all within the first two minutes of the game.

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

I agree. Ridley would be a great value at 101 as well. I lov his tape but dang those numbers!  Scouts think this draft for WR is terrible but I feel only for the first 2 rounds. I have like 15 WR’s I’d love to draft between the 3-5 round this year. 

I'd sooner play the numbers game, and draft a WR on Day 2 and Day 3 than use our highest pick in years on a WR.

15 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Yeah, I have zero faith that Ward will be on the board at 14. I'm fully expecting one of the EDGE guys being the pick or trading back.

Pretty much.  And if the Packers trade back, it's probably a rather minor one where a team like Los Angeles (Chargers) or Dallas makes a move up the board.  I don't think they want to move back very far.

14 hours ago, packfanfb said:

No chance in hell Ward drops to 14 IMO. I could see Edmunds, James, Fitz or Smith fall to 14 before Ward. He won't make it out of the top 10.

He's also the only CB I'd consider at 14. Not another one in this draft in the top 20 for me. Bunch of CBs in the 25-40 range. 

Of the guys you listed, only Fitz and James have a realistic shot of dropping.  And the only reason why I think Fitz might drop is because he's not your traditional boundary corner.

Archived