2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

6 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I want Jackson at 14 about as much as HZ wants us to trade into the top 5 and pick Nelson.

I don't even hate Josh Jackson, I just hate his fit for what I look for in corners.  I put a HUGE premium on man skills, and his man skills lack.  For me, grabbing Oliver in the 30s beats spending a pick in the 20s on Josh Jackson.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Had some leftover vacation days to use before the work year ends, and I've got Wednesday through Friday off.  Wednesday is going to be brutal.

I just moved to Madison, and am wrapping up my last week of remote work at the University I worked at in Florida. My entire next week will be spent waiting, rejoicing, cursing & drinking with my fellow Packer faithful during draft week. Dreams come true.

4 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

People were saying the same thing about King last year despite his numbers.

The thing with King is nobody had him pegged as a 4.4 guy.  That and he was a bit handsy in college, and most thought he was going to struggle with that in the NFL.

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Let’s say Ward is available at #10. Would we have the ammo to move up to pick Ward, then still have enough to get back to say #20 to snag Landry if he were there? Would next years #2 be enough to get back to 20?

Probably not, unless some team is willing to take some sort of below-market deal.  And by that, I mean they'd move down for something like a 4th round pick.  So not likely to happen.

17 minutes ago, Csraverage said:

I just moved to Madison, and am wrapping up my last week of remote work at the University I worked at in Florida. My entire next week will be spent waiting, rejoicing, cursing & drinking with my fellow Packer faithful during draft week. Dreams come true.

I took the whole week off.  Vegas monday-thursday followed by a guys weekend of golf and draft!  Best week ever?  Lol

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I don't even hate Josh Jackson, I just hate his fit for what I look for in corners.  I put a HUGE premium on man skills, and his man skills lack.  For me, grabbing Oliver in the 30s beats spending a pick in the 20s on Josh Jackson.

IF Gute is set on CB in the first I would trade down for Oliver vs staying put for Jackson as well. Million dollar question is always how low can go without getting burned. You know there will be a run on CB's at the top of the 2nd. I doubt that a "possible day one starter" value will trickle to #45

I just don't see an elite edge in this draft at all, would I take Chubb if he fell to #14, in a heartbeat, I think he will be a really good player, but not elite edge. I think the Packer's identify a cb they like and quite frankly need who could still be there later in Rd. #1 and see if they can accrue more picks in Rd. 2 to QB hungry team.

So,

1. worst case scenario, they identify a corner (Hughes, Alexander) who they feel fit well into the system and will contribute immediately at #14

2.  They receive a trade back offer where they can still grab one of the two identified cb's and pick up an additional #2.

3. At #14 someone falls that is elite at there position and we jump on it, for me James, Smith, Edmunds, Ward, Nelson, not a Fitz fan, but if Gute and the DC think he's elite, who am I to say.

I had myself convinced #14 is a horrible spot this year, but I guess my cup is half full one week away

2 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

No offense, but do you like anyone lol?

Yeah.  I'm pretty sure I was one of the first ones to be on Harold Landry.  I mean, we've got Michael Gallup, Deasean Hamilton, Isaiah Oliver, and Holton Hill as a few guys I like quite a bit.  But back to Kemoko Turay, we've been waiting for years for him to flip the switch and he's underwhelming at best.  After posting 7.5 sacks in his freshman year, he had 8 over his final three seasons COMBINED.  He's a one-trick pony, and he doesn't even do that very well.  Add on a comp that there's no way he can live up to that comp.  I mean, if you're going to make a comp I would have gone with Yannick Ngakoue before Von Miller.

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

IF Gute is set on CB in the first I would trade down for Oliver vs staying put for Jackson as well. Million dollar question is always how low can go without getting burned. You know there will be a run on CB's at the top of the 2nd. I doubt that a "possible day one starter" value will trickle to #45

In the last 3 years, the draft has averaged 5 corners drafted in the 1st round, 5 CBs drafted in the 2nd round, and 5 CBs drafted in the 3rd round using ProFootball Reference.  That's when the CB class is pretty much dried up.  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Denzel Ward, Josh Jackson, Mike Hughes, Jaire Alexander, and Isaiah Oliver end up in the 1st.  Carlton Davis, Quenton Meeks, Deonte Jackson, MJ Stewart, and Anthony Averett ended up being selected in the 2nd round.  And some combination in the 3rd round when you're looking at guys like Isaac Yiadom, Holton Hill, Tarvarus McFadden, etc. in the 3rd round.  IF we want a good corner in the 2nd, I'd bet we'd need to trade up for one which is partially why I'm keen on a small move back in the first and a semi-sigificant move up in the 2nd.

5 hours ago, mightybk said:

I would trade up to 7 to draft Ward.  If that doesn't happen, then I would trade up to 9 for Edmunds.

Fallback at 14 would be Davenport, but not excited about that.

Have any idea how expensive that would be?  Trading to 7 isn't going to happen.  Going to 9 would probably cost us our 3rd round pick at a minimum probably more.  Ward may fall into our laps at 14 without having to trade up.  Really think trading up in the 1st is a bad idea.  Too costly.  We aren't that desperate.  If anything would rather we trade back and pick up some additional draft capital.  Move back 4 or 5 spots and take Davenport or Landry.  Probably could score a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.  We might have to trade up in the 2nd to get our corner.  Alexander, Oliver, or Davis.  To move up might cost us our 4th.  So we move back a bit in the first and up in the 2nd.  End up moving up a bit from the 4th to 3rd round and get the 2 guys we need.  Ideal scenario but not likely.  Chances are Gute will stay put and take the BPA that falls to us.  It will either be Ward, James, or Davenport.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Had some leftover vacation days to use before the work year ends, and I've got Wednesday through Friday off.  Wednesday is going to be brutal.

I'm gonna take Friday off I think. Just so I can post in here all day when everyone is going crazy that we drafted someone out of nowhere because Ted is still the GM.

9 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'm gonna take Friday off I think. Just so I can post in here all day when everyone is going crazy that we drafted someone out of nowhere because Ted is still the GM.

Bold prediction: Rodgers is gonna hijack the draft room, hold everyone at gun point, and takes over the draft!

Archived