2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, Pilprin said:

If we can get Carter in round 2...then I'd be ok with Jackson, Hughes , or Oliver in round 1

At 14 I'd be upset with any of those three .. if we traded back a bit and picked up some more ammo I could live with it.  Just seems that at 14 all three are at least slight reaches.

Alexander is the only CB in that second tier I’d be willing take in the top 20. If we could move down 4-5 spots, grab him , then Carter in the second and maybe bundle a couple picks to get back into the late 2nd-early 3rd and get one of Moore/Miller/Sutton we’re in very good shape.

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I just don't think either QB should be drafted higher than the 25ish even with added QB value. I'm not seeing a lot of upside with Baker, I think he can give you average QB play. IF you can get into Lamar and he responds to some coaching he could be next level. I just don't think you'll get much more than McCown from Baker if you're the Jets.

I mean, I don't mind if you're not that high on either of them, but the notion that Lamar Jackson is as good or better a QB than Baker Mayfield is blatantly false.  You have to evaluate Lamar Jackson the passer, not Lamar Jackson the athlete.  He's a mediocre QB prospect.  Quite frankly, I don't blame a team for preferring someone like Kyle Lauletta to him.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I don't mind if you're not that high on either of them, but the notion that Lamar Jackson is as good or better a QB than Baker Mayfield is blatantly false.  You have to evaluate Lamar Jackson the passer, not Lamar Jackson the athlete.  He's a mediocre QB prospect.  Quite frankly, I don't blame a team for preferring someone like Kyle Lauletta to him.

I think Lamar has the ability to put the ball where he wants, has better touch passes than you're giving him credit for. I think Baker had a better opportunity to showcase what he's got. If you're looking for year one production go Baker, if you want a shot at a home run go Lamar. If you surround Lamar with talent I think he'll show out. 

The last part is gross.

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I think Lamar has the ability to put the ball where he wants, has better touch passes than you're giving him credit for. I think Baker had a better opportunity to showcase what he's got. If you're looking for year one production go Baker, if you want a shot at a home run go Lamar. If you surround Lamar with talent I think he'll show out.

A sub-60% completion percentage pass says otherwise.  Just watch that Mississippi State game, and he's missing his WRs with a clean pocket.  He misses the WR when there's tight coverage.  He can hit an open receiver, but in terms of touch Baker is light year's ahead of him.  If you're drafting Lamar Jackson, you're hoping that for the first 2-3 years he's in the league you're hoping he's a big enough threat while you wait for him to develop as a passer.  Baker is a significantly more natural passer.

I just get the feeling we are going to trade down from #14. I think the likelihood of one of those top guys sliding, even with 5 QBs going b4 us, is slim. Again, I have no idea how high the Packers rate guys like Davenport, Landry, LVE, Lorenzo Carter or the CB from Iowa, but I don't see value at #14 IMO. Also, I see about the same value at about 18-23. 

It would be great if one of those QB's were there and we had competing offers. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

A sub-60% completion percentage pass says otherwise.  Just watch that Mississippi State game, and he's missing his WRs with a clean pocket.  He misses the WR when there's tight coverage.  He can hit an open receiver, but in terms of touch Baker is light year's ahead of him.  If you're drafting Lamar Jackson, you're hoping that for the first 2-3 years he's in the league you're hoping he's a big enough threat while you wait for him to develop as a passer.  Baker is a significantly more natural passer.

I think a LOT of that goes back to the talent he has around him. From what I'm seeing there's a lot of drops/miscommunication with young guys. His deep ball needs work but his underneath placement encourages YAC. 

The Miss St game, the 1st TD drive he made 2 good throws from different platforms and 1 easy read to keep the drive alive, the TD throw wasn't perfect placement but it got the job done. The 2nd touchdown drive was game manager-ish from him, which should be a positive as he's seen as such an enigma, took what the D gave him worked the ball down the field to tie it up. OC does him no favors so far outside the 4th&1 play. Int at 7:48 shouldn't have been thrown, got into a huge hole from RB pass right away and should've just let the drive die. 2nd int was a straight miss. His feet were screwed as soon as the snap left the center. Improv throw after keeping eyes up after wanting to take off for TD right before the half, can't hate that. Next possession he has 1 guy looking for the ball near the 1st down marker on 3rd and 6 before there's pressure, probably take the throw but good chance that isn't converted either. OC does him no favors. After the muff the OC tries a package that MS eats up twice with no one open, eat the sack get the 3 points, not hating that. Next he plays the blitz poorly and then sees soft coverage so he throws underneath to the 1 receiver who does anything for him, didn't see the corner peel off his man. After the MS turnover he should've had a TD, blatant drop, good throw in tight spaces. 3rd int goes right through his WR's hands hard to fault him for this one, not great placement but it should be caught. Might have missed a TD in favor of a safer throw on the next possession, late on the throw on 3rd down but a safe low throw where no int means go ahead points, disappointing but not a killer. WR quits on his route for the next INT, I don't put that on Lamar. Last drive he tries to do too much and eats 2 bad sacks to end the game. I don't think this was as egregious as you're making it out to be. Definitely not a good game in any way but there's positives.

Right before half he athletes his way all the way down the field, not a pass play but it's still fun. 

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I think a LOT of that goes back to the talent he has around him. From what I'm seeing there's a lot of drops/miscommunication with young guys. His deep ball needs work but his underneath placement encourages YAC. 

Supporting cast excuses only go back so far.  Going back to 2010, we've had one QB taken in the 1st round who never had a season where they completed 60% of their passes in their college career, and that was Jake Locker.  Assuming Lamar Jackson goes in the first round, we're about to see two.  Completing 60% of your passes in college really isn't a hard given the offensive schemes teams are running these days.  Last year, we saw 63 QBs complete at least 60% of his passes.  Lamar Jackson wasn't one of those players.  That's a red flag for me.  And you could easily make the argument that he regressed as a passer from his sophomore to junior year.

But let's go back and look at a few clips from that Mississippi State game.  If you want to use the time stamps from the YouTube clip, I'd be willing to discuss it more but I'm not digging for the video.  Literally the first throw (0:03) of the game, he has a clean pocket, steps into his throw, and still manages to overshoot his receiver.  That shouldn't happen if you're a naturally accurate passer.  At the 0:55 mark, it ends up being a broken play which is supposed to be his strong suit he actually does a good job resetting his feet but still misses his receiver and missed high badly.

In terms of raw arm talent, he's talented.  But in terms of playing QB, he's significantly further behind the rest of them.  Most inaccurate QBs you can attribute some of their inaccuracies to poor mechanics.  That isn't really the case with Lamar.  He actually displays surprisingly good footwork for a mobile QB.

2 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I like him more than most but his hands are a real issue. Expected that to get better with more targets last year with Mike Williams leaving Clemson but it never really happened.

Yeah. His hands are only 8 3/4. That might be contributing to some of the drops. From what I've read he actually has solid hands. Just struggled with concentration drops sometimes. His YPC are high-end. He could be the deep threat we've been lacking

Archived