2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

2 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Random thought, but anyone else feel like Courtland Sutton is a horrendous prospect? I wouldn't touch that guy with a 10-foot pole.

The only WRs in this draft class that had a faster 10 Yard Split than Sutton (at the NFL Combine)  were Chark and Callaway. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Supporting cast excuses only go back so far.  Going back to 2010, we've had one QB taken in the 1st round who never had a season where they completed 60% of their passes in their college career, and that was Jake Locker.  Assuming Lamar Jackson goes in the first round, we're about to see two.  Completing 60% of your passes in college really isn't a hard given the offensive schemes teams are running these days.  Last year, we saw 63 QBs complete at least 60% of his passes.  Lamar Jackson wasn't one of those players.  That's a red flag for me.  And you could easily make the argument that he regressed as a passer from his sophomore to junior year.

But let's go back and look at a few clips from that Mississippi State game.  If you want to use the time stamps from the YouTube clip, I'd be willing to discuss it more but I'm not digging for the video.  Literally the first throw (0:03) of the game, he has a clean pocket, steps into his throw, and still manages to overshoot his receiver.  That shouldn't happen if you're a naturally accurate passer.  At the 0:55 mark, it ends up being a broken play which is supposed to be his strong suit he actually does a good job resetting his feet but still misses his receiver and missed high badly.

In terms of raw arm talent, he's talented.  But in terms of playing QB, he's significantly further behind the rest of them.  Most inaccurate QBs you can attribute some of their inaccuracies to poor mechanics.  That isn't really the case with Lamar.  He actually displays surprisingly good footwork for a mobile QB.

It was the game you gave so I thought maybe you had it in your mind a bit more. The time I gave was play clock from there on out it was drive by drive. I was zipping through the whole game to get a feel for where the momentum was. I digress, we'll just have to see but I don't think Baker will amount to much. Maybe Lamar doesn't either but I don't think he's near as bad as some people make him out to be with his arm. I think you can still attribute plenty to his poor footwork, even the TV analysts harp on that. LIS I don't think Lamar is best in class but I'd certainly take him over Baker and well ahead of Lauletta.

EDIT: Were you more impressed by Bakers game vs Georgia than Lamars game against Miss St? They were very similar games with Bakers skills making much more of a go than Lamar's. Both run into sacks. Both throw from bad platforms, both miss high in the middle of the field. Both will drop their eyes escaping pressure. Major differences, Mayfield has years more time and the scheme brings guys wide open more often. The bolded happens literally twice in this game for Baker.

One guy who wasn't a combine invite that I would love for us to draft is the safety Tarvarius Moore out of Southern Miss.  Great athlete and the tape matches.  He is one of very few non-combine invites with a legit chance to break into the top 100.  

He would be a great mid-round choice to add a lot of athleticism on the back end.  

3 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

6'3'' 220 WR that runs a 6.57 3-cone is pretty impressive. He might be my favorite guy since Ridley and Moore got 15s on the wonderlic.

Don't pay attention to the wonderlic, doesn't mean anything or is gonna effect their play.

17 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Don't pay attention to the wonderlic, doesn't mean anything or is gonna effect their play.

I could be insane but I think he was kidding after we talked about sub 15 scores for QBs in another a thread

Archived