2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

32 minutes ago, Green19 said:

So there is talk that apparently Harold Landry, Edge from Boston College, is one of the early favorites in the Green Bay scouting department.

Acmepackernews mentioned it when discussing Arden Key... saying how Arden is a better physical talent but Landry has been linked to Green Bay in the early stages of the process.

Until we have our DC and until we see these guys at the Combine (probably far and away the #1 position where athletic numbers matter) it's hard to have a preference for any EDGE guy.

It's hard to watch Landry on tape and not think he's someone who would help us a great deal. Then you watch 2016 Key and drool over that guy too. Need the full package presented to you and I'm sure every FO feels the same way.

My ideal draft;

First Round-

I'm really hoping for Key in the first. Pass rush is the number 1 need and they don't grow on trees. We've kind of been left out of the top guys drafting in the late 20s the last decade, so given the opportunity, I think we have to take one. This year was rough for him due to injuries, but what has me is;

- the 2016 tape... I mean, wow. He just had that extra burst that Laundry/Chubb don't have. 

-the 6'6'' and long arm frame... can't teach that.

We haven't had an athlete like him to really be excited about in awhile.

Second-

Christian Kirk- I'm hoping he falls (or we could potentially trade up with the extra comp picks). He just looks like a Packer WR. I feel like people fall in love with big bodied wrs  like Sutton, but forget the NFL and especially our offense is more about spacing, timing, and ability after the catch. He's a burner, good in space, has return ability. In an ideal world, he could legitimately take over for Davis as return man, and slip into the WR 4 role for next year and eventually get to 3 when people get hurt or he blows people away (assuming we still have Nelson, Cobb).

Those are my 2 guys. I wouldn't be opposed to getting more athletic at ILB if a real plus athlete that could potentially provide an inside rush fell (like a Malik Jefferson). Another OL is fine too (Evans is gone, Bulaga is a big question mark).

3-5 fill the roster-

more OL depth (need that development interior OL we draft every other year in the Trettor mold)

- a 4th corner

- TE/WR (if we didn't take one above)

-QB if one  falls

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Until we have our DC and until we see these guys at the Combine (probably far and away the #1 position where athletic numbers matter) it's hard to have a preference for any EDGE guy.

It's hard to watch Landry on tape and not think he's someone who would help us a great deal. Then you watch 2016 Key and drool over that guy too. Need the full package presented to you and I'm sure every FO feels the same way.

Landry is so smooth when he wins on the edge. Paired with Matthews they would be very versatile and both could probably rotate inside for blitz packages, with Perry on the other side.  

I haven't watched Key yet, but Landry looks outstanding as an edge/speed rusher.  Reminds me of what you got with Floyd a few years ago.  Long arms, scary bend.  Same faults, too, not real sturdy against the run.  Like that burst and lean off of the edge.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm confident ALL of the edge guys are gonna get linked to GB.

I’m sure... just saying I read that the word is GB likes and has been linked to Landry among the nfl circles.

Im sure they will look at everyone... just Landry is being discussed enough by or around them that people are linking him to GB.

There was another long, fast, edge guy from LSU that went in the first round to the Browns. Do you remember Barkevious Mingo? A bust of a player who was 6-4 and 240. He and Key are similar in how they attack the LOS and their lack of strength. Mingo has never really made it and with Key NOT a high character guy....might stay away. I think Landry or Ferrell from Clemson would be better prospects.

Just now, Hands said:

There was another long, fast, edge guy from LSU that went in the first round to the Browns. Do you remember Barkevious Mingo? A bust of a player who was 6-4 and 240. He and Key are similar in how they attack the LOS and their lack of strength. Mingo has never really made it and with Key NOT a high character guy....might stay away. I think Landry or Ferrell from Clemson would be better prospects.

Coincidentally, I'm intrigued by Mingo in free agency.

He's a tease! The guy was a track star in HS, did fine at college. You get to the NFL and once those big ugly dudes get their paws on you....you go down. Same issue with Key. Call me crazy, but wondering if Vita Vea falls to the Pack if they don't take him. The big NT would start right away, clog the lanes and a steady pounding of Clark/Daniels and MT. Adams would free up those LBs to make tackles closer to the LOS.

34 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm not looking for an edge who is sturdy against the run anymore.  Not looking for one who ISN'T sturdy, but it's just not a weighted factor for me. 

Let's go get a freak athlete.

Coverage too. I hate when someone asks how a pass rusher is in coverage, who cares? Lol.

If he totally sucks in the 2 plays a game that we mix in an exotic coverage and drop him back there while he goes on to have 15 sacks, we'll all be overjoyed.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Coverage too. I hate when someone asks how a pass rusher is in coverage, who cares? Lol.

If he totally sucks in the 2 plays a game that we mix in an exotic coverage and drop him back there while he goes on to have 15 sacks, we'll all be overjoyed.

Agreed 100%, how are Von Miller/Khalil Mack in coverage? Does anyone really care? It's like asking how good of a blocker a WR is, it's an added bonus but in no way shape or form will it factor into me favoring one WR over another.

19 minutes ago, Hands said:

He's a tease! The guy was a track star in HS, did fine at college. You get to the NFL and once those big ugly dudes get their paws on you....you go down. Same issue with Key. Call me crazy, but wondering if Vita Vea falls to the Pack if they don't take him. The big NT would start right away, clog the lanes and a steady pounding of Clark/Daniels and MT. Adams would free up those LBs to make tackles closer to the LOS.

I'd wait a year on Montravius Adams before making a huge investment in Vea. A good OLB rusher tops that, for me, since we have Clark and Daniels already, to go with Adams. One good pass rusher, one starter level corner (I'm hoping for a vet there), a second year jump from Biegel and Gilbert............ (plus the new DC) and that defense could suddenly look pretty good.

The domino affect of another edge is huge for us. Whether Clay likes it or not, inside is where his value comes at this point IMO. 

Rookie ........Clay...........Martinez/Burnett...........Perry

Passing downs or otherwise, this would be a group a DC could have some fun with

Archived