Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, Rolni said:

Morton never was a QB coach before, so I don't know about that...

With that said I would welcome him as an offensive assistant

I think we would have to offer an assistant head coach position to him.  He will most likely get a OC position.

From John Middlekauff on the Athletic:

I talked to a Raiders offensive coach this week and asked: what offense will you guys run? His response was simple, “a bit of everything.” Just because the Raiders hired Tom Cable to coach the offensive line doesn't mean they will just run zone schemes. Just because new offensive coordinator Greg Olson just came from Los Angeles doesn't mean the Raiders will copy Sean McVay's Rams offense.

The Raiders expect to blend everything together and put a lot on Derek Carr's plate. The reason you pay Gruden $100 million is because of his offensive prowess, and I would expect that to be on full display from Game 1. From what I've heard, they will attempt to be like the Patriots in the sense of a game-specific scheme offense. Change by the week and let the matchup dictate their plan. That is the goal at least; easier said than done.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

From John Middlekauff on the Athletic:

I love this. It's what a smart coach that has been studying the game and offenses in particular would do. Reminds me of Belichick on defense mostly but offense as well.

You have to be adaptable. Every scheme has a way that it can be beaten. But if you run aspects of many schemes and get players that fit that then you have a better chance to be successful. Seems simple to understand but incredibly hard to execute successfully.

34 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I love this. It's what a smart coach that has been studying the game and offenses in particular would do. Reminds me of Belichick on defense mostly but offense as well.

You have to be adaptable. Every scheme has a way that it can be beaten. But if you run aspects of many schemes and get players that fit that then you have a better chance to be successful. Seems simple to understand but incredibly hard to execute successfully.

Executing it is a matter of hard work and discipline. Really, not cliche. Learning to cleanly execute a myriad of things requires significant commitment to doing things precisely, to fine tuning the details, to reducing errors to near zero, to tons of work and all the finer points. You can barely get a group of players to master a small portion of an offense these days. Good luck getting a team to master a wide array of skills. Too many dummies, attitudes, guys not willing to work for anyone but themselves. It is the dream though. They're basically talking about having the arsenal to beat any D in any way necessary. The arsenal is talent, sure, but more than that it is a fattened playbook of stuff you can execute beautifully again and again. It's why Brady can win games year after year with the endless changes in his weapons through his career. 

I'm sure the offense will be this, because if Gruden is committed to that then he will run it. The big fat question is whether or not anyone, and I mean pretty much anyone, on our offense is suited to actually running this. Aside from Hudson I am not sure we have any of the type of guys needed to execute some offense like this. Mistakes abound, headcases abound, streak players everywhere, attitudes emerging. Even Cooper seems like the machine personality for this and yet on the Raiders he seems to have morphed into a mess. On a side note, Cooper fits exactly the type to leave our team late career and go to N.E. to chase a title. 

58 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I'm sure the offense will be this, because if Gruden is committed to that then he will run it...Cooper fits exactly the type to leave our team late career and go to N.E. to chase a title. 

Hopefully we can build something here that will compete with that kind of success and stop him from wanting to wander.

47 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Hopefully we can build something here that will compete with that kind of success and stop him from wanting to wander.

Certainly a better chance under Gruden now. Gruden did get Rice and Brown humming here. 

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I want it to SO BADLY but I won't believe he is done til he announces it. He said he wants to play to 45 IIRC.

His body won't last. When people hit hteir downfall, it happens FAST. Look at all the greats. Somewhere around 38-41 they hit a wall and it's very obvious when they hit it. 

Archived