Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

KO, Jackson, and Hudson have enough talent to play different schemes but will not perform at optimal levels.  They will be retained.  Which OL players currently on the team do you see here next year.  I am pretty sure, although talented, Kirkland and Alexander are gone.  On a side note how did KNJ get the DC job in Seattle.  You would think that after Pagano showed that KNJ was the weakness that he would only get a LBs coaching job at the most.

Pete Carrol runs the defense. It's his baby. KNJ is pretty much Pete's Greg Olson. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Gus Bradley and Dan Quin disagree.

Spare the social proof. They ran Pete Caroll's defense. He's been running and tweaking it since he worked with Monte Kiffin back in the day.

KNJ will find success with it in Seattle where they draft the talent for it and Pete Carrol's thumbprint on it. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Spare the social proof. They ran Pete Caroll's defense. He's been running and tweaking it since he worked with Monte Kiffin back in the day.

KNJ will find success with it in Seattle where they draft the talent for it and Pete Carrol's thumbprint on it. 

Mayhaps, but it sounds like they're blowing up the machine in SEA. It could be argued that he won't have the same level of talent that SEA has in the past. With the reports that Chancellor and Avril are both done. Not to mention that Sherman and Bennet might be on the outs because of their attitudes. Honestly it might only be Wagner and Thomas left on the defense coming into the next season. What does this mean? Well probably that the defense will take a major step back. Whoever runs this defense next season will have a rough go of it and heads could roll if they underachieve. 

40 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Mayhaps, but it sounds like they're blowing up the machine in SEA. It could be argued that he won't have the same level of talent that SEA has in the past. With the reports that Chancellor and Avril are both done. Not to mention that Sherman and Bennet might be on the outs because of their attitudes. Honestly it might only be Wagner and Thomas left on the defense coming into the next season. What does this mean? Well probably that the defense will take a major step back. Whoever runs this defense next season will have a rough go of it and heads could roll if they underachieve. 

And I would guess that's all for the better. Infusion of youth to help propel them forward.  It's what we seem to be doing, but coaching and injuries have held us back so far.  Pagano, Conley, Amerson, and Obi all year last year would have done wonders for our mediocre defense.  There was a sizable difference just with the coaching change.  Imagine if we didn't have 7th rounders and URFA'a minding the back end.

47 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Good points. Seattle's defense was built on good scheme. But moreover talent. They drafted well and signed awesome talent along the Dline to build it. That talent is now dropping off as you've stated. 

You're right. KNJ will not have the talent they had previously and will suffer for it. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Good points. Seattle's defense was built on good scheme. But moreover talent. They drafted well and signed awesome talent along the Dline to build it. That talent is now dropping off as you've stated. 

You're right. KNJ will not have the talent they had previously and will suffer for it. 

But I predict they play a bunch of young guys and still are a good defensive team because of the things you brought up (Carroll's blueprint, good draft picks, and Vet Pro bowlers). But I think that KNJ knows how to coach this type of defense in this system and if they do have success he will deserve the same credit Quin and Bradley received in coaching this team. They both coached up new pieces to the defense in the system and keep the machine moving and parleyed it into HC jobs.

I don't understand all the Cable hate, hes always had to do more with less. Helped turn Gallery into a Pro Bowl guard. He worked with trash while he was here and in Seattle. The sack numbers in Seattle have a lot to do with Russ holding onto the ball so long. I think our OL will be just fine.

I don't get the Cable hate. The guy is an O-line coach, and players love playing for him. If he was a coordinator or HC, I could understand the hate. But getting someone as experienced as him for a positional coach is great. If you notice, Gruden is only scooping up guys with large amounts of experience in the league. I love it. 

14 hours ago, Geezy said:

I don't understand all the Cable hate, hes always had to do more with less. Helped turn Gallery into a Pro Bowl guard. He worked with trash while he was here and in Seattle. The sack numbers in Seattle have a lot to do with Russ holding onto the ball so long. I think our OL will be just fine.

That's one side of the coin for sure. Time will tell. But he's inheriting 2 great players on this line. Possibly 3 if Gabe rounds back into form. Need to get him some tackles. 

18 hours ago, Geezy said:

By what metric? Definitely not pro bowl selections or appearances

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:30 AM, big_palooka said:

lol... hilarious stuff here. Gruden hires Cable and fans actually think the Oline is going to suck now and want to us Seattle's production on Oline's as why?

The Raider have KO, Hudson and Jackson on this line. These guys are not just going to become awful now lol. 

Way to much gets made out of ZBS and Power schemes. Most teams are multiple. It comes down to talent. 

At least someone said something positive. 

I seem to recall Cable was our OL coach.  Was it  when the Raiders were in LA?  No criticism as that's merely a guess.  He was lauded as the best at that time.  He not only was good for us but everybody was whining when he left.  Have his abilities suffered or declined since?

Archived