Titans Head Coaching Search 2018

KingTitan

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

No he’s saying they can block it if we’re reaching out to him as an OC, only way get Leflaur is as a HC

Not necessarily, although by far most likely.

Even a lateral move is possible if he wants to call plays and the Rams don't block the interview. He's basically an offensive assistant in LA.

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I'm pretty sure they can block all lateral moves. Teams I think can deny a coach under contract under any circumstance.  Of Course, they don't because who would work for anyone that wouldn't allow them a move up.  
Like you said, I think it comes down to what LaFluer would want to do and how close he is to McVay. Maybe they bring him in with someone like Vrabel and make him asst.HC and OC. Making him have it on his resume being in total control of the offense. 

But I think it's either HC or no LaFluer.

I'm sure that's the only way we could get him and I'm sure they would prevent us from interviewing him as an OC, I'm just saying its possible that a HC who already calls the plays and is friends with him could let him walk to call plays if he was interested.

McVay and Lefluer have a history together, it makes sense that he would let him go anywhere if LeFleur wanted it badly enough.

1 minute ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Crazy to think that this will be our third head coach in 4 seasons and we've only had 5 in our entire 20+ years of being the Titans.

As a fan of the Titans and Vols my whole life I only saw one head coach fro each team up to 2008. Since then 7 from both lol.

Heard someone on 104.5 mention John Fox as a potential candidate....I thought the guys were going to hang up on him. Who are these people that think Mularkey overachieved or that bringing in some retread is a good idea....must be casual fans. 

Even USAToday had an article that was quite accurate on our situation and the fact that Marcus was not responsible fully for his struggles. Surprised the national media was clued in to our team that well.

As for who to get next...time will tell. I was super excited about Whiz. All I know is we need someone to adapt the offense to our strengths and even tighten up the defense...too soft (as in playing 8 yards off on 3rd and 2, not physically soft) too often. And not someone who is conservative, we need a guy that wants to crush opponents not just do enough to win. Winning big and smoking teams build confidence and you don't "prevent" away 2 wins a year.  That is the reason I have wanted McDanials, I like his offensive scheme and I think he would understand that there are times you have to score 40+ Pts to win. I know he is probably not available but someone similar. Defensive guys worry me I always assume that they will be too conservative, even though that may not be the case...Fisher ruined me.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Shouldn’t be hard at all considering most of our guys have played in a 4-3. Morgan, Dodd, and Orakpo would all be DEs. We have the DL but obviously we’d still have to find a young talented pass-rusher. The LBs would be the only issue. Williamson is a FA and doesn’t belong in a 4-3. Woodyard is likely the MLB. Need to find a weak side and SAM LB. Jayon Brown may fit as a WLB. Certainly has the athletic traits but it takes a lot more than that. LB would definitely be a huge need.

I agree about Williamson that’s why I didn’t even mention him 

5 minutes ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Heard someone on 104.5 mention John Fox as a potential candidate....I thought the guys were going to hang up on him. Who are these people that think Mularkey overachieved or that bringing in some retread is a good idea....must be casual fans. 

Even USAToday had an article that was quite accurate on our situation and the fact that Marcus was not responsible fully for his struggles. Surprised the national media was clued in to our team that well.

As for who to get next...time will tell. I was super excited about Whiz. All I know is we need someone to adapt the offense to our strengths and even tighten up the defense...too soft (as in playing 8 yards off on 3rd and 2, not physically soft) too often. And not someone who is conservative, we need a guy that wants to crush opponents not just do enough to win. Winning big and smoking teams build confidence and you don't "prevent" away 2 wins a year.  That is the reason I have wanted McDanials, I like his offensive scheme and I think he would understand that there are times you have to score 40+ Pts to win. I know he is probably not available but someone similar. Defensive guys worry me I always assume that they will be too conservative, even though that may not be the case...Fisher ruined me.

Heard the same call about Fox ?

I just hope whoever we bring in doesn’t change our defense from hybrid 34. I see a lot of you guys keep saying you want us to go back to a 43 but truth be told we still run a 43, if we add the right pieces our defense will be elite, & those pieces are a dominant 5tech that can rush inside & out & command a double team to free up Orakpo, & we also Need a side line to side line cover & effective blitzing ILB.

all the top defenses in the league are hybrid 3-4 43under teams. The Rams, Atlanta, Den, SEA, N.O, Hou, & Jaguars.

Of the names I've heard floating around, the one I'd probably be most enthused with is Wilks provided he brings along a good OC. Vrabel might work out, but he has such a limited track record as a coach. No thanks to LaFleur. He's been in some good spots, but that LA turnaround is all McVay IMO. Schwartz is as meh as it gets.   

I wouldn't be necessarily pissed off with any of the above, at least nothing like I was when he hired Mularkey, but it would still seem kind of uninspiring.

As for who I'd actually like? I'll simply revisit two of my favorite potential candidates from 2016: Dave Toub and David Shaw. Toub is probably the best in the business at what he does. My only concern would be the fact that he's been doing this for so long and yet no one has promoted him. Makes you wonder if GM's and front offices see something we don't. Might be difficult to pry Shaw away from his Alma Mater, but he'd be a great hire IMO. Here's another interesting name: Mike Smith. I know he had a rough end to his tenure in Atlanta, but prior to that the man went 11-5, 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, and 13-3. Would be kind of weird given his connections to Mularkey and Robiskie, but he's still easily one of the more accomplished names out there.

Just excited to see what direction we go with this.    

1 minute ago, ShupacTakur said:

Of the names I've heard floating around, the one I'd probably be most enthused with is Wilks provided he brings along a good OC. Vrabel might work out, but he has such a limited track record as a coach. No thanks to LaFleur. He's been in some good spots, but that LA turnaround is all McVay IMO. Schwartz is as meh as it gets.   

I wouldn't be necessarily pissed off with any of the above, at least nothing like I was when he hired Mularkey, but it would still seem kind of uninspiring.

As for who I'd actually like? I'll simply revisit two of my favorite potential candidates from 2016: Dave Toub and David Shaw. Toub is probably the best in the business at what he does. My only concern would be the fact that he's been doing this for so long and yet no one has promoted him. Makes you wonder if GM's and front offices see something we don't. Might be difficult to pry Shaw away from his Alma Mater, but he'd be a great hire IMO. Here's another interesting name: Mike Smith. I know he had a rough end to his tenure in Atlanta, but prior to that the man went 11-5, 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, and 13-3. Would be kind of weird given his connections to Mularkey and Robiskie, but he's still easily one of the more accomplished names out there.

Just excited to see what direction we go with this.    

How can you say that was all McVay, because he didn’t or hasn’t call plays doesn’t make him any less of a good coach. A lot of HC have good Offensive assistants on their staff but prefer to call plays, Kyle Shanahan, Sean Payton, Andy Reid didn’t turn play calling over to mid season to natty. Mike Tomlin was never a play caller. Leflar has 1 thing that a lot of guys in the running don’t & that’s a history of working wit QB’s & being around some great football minds