LeVeon Bell @ His Contract Demand

Ward4HOF

Worth 14m for one year sure. I think Pittsburgh tags him and runs the wheels off that vehicle if and when he reports. 

Worth 42m guaranteed for three years? No way. Not to the Steelers. Maybe to the Browns or 49ers or any other team with a ton of cap room. He hit thet magical 400 touch mark. Never forget Jamal Lewis! 

7 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I never said Connor could replace the production. So, go back and read what I wrote. Anything I've posted on this subject clearly indicates that the team would need to bring in outside talent. Likely with a high draft pick.

I have a hard time putting that much money into the RB position. It was sort of worth it for the Vikings a few years ago because of the lack of talent on offense and at QB in particular. The Steelers are not that Vikings team. And, yes, I firmly believe the Steelers can find the guys in off-season who can get a good chunk of Bell's production. And Connor can be part of that equation behind this OL.

True.  And what we Steeler fans are dealing with is our leading sack producer from NOT on the DL, is an ILB...which is not good when you run a 3-4. We lost our 1st Rd pick at ILB we suspect, forever, our other 1st Rd pick from 2007 at ILB last year, another 1st Rd pick in Jarvis Jones...the point being, typically, you depend on 1st rd picks to contribute, and we're losing them left and right.

For the cost of Bell, and about 20% of our RB production (including pass--we can find a guy who can grab 450yds and a couple of TDs receiving), we can save approx $10M or more that can be invest in a Defense that sorely needs it.

This isn't a QB...this is a position where there is more talent than available starting slots in the NFL, once the draft happens...

9 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I never said Connor could replace the production. So, go back and read what I wrote. Anything I've posted on this subject clearly indicates that the team would need to bring in outside talent. Likely with a high draft pick.

I have a hard time putting that much money into the RB position. It was sort of worth it for the Vikings a few years ago because of the lack of talent on offense and at QB in particular. The Steelers are not that Vikings team. And, yes, I firmly believe the Steelers can find the guys in off-season who can get a good chunk of Bell's production. And Connor can be part of that equation behind this OL.

You're right, I misread that, my fault. I'm in agreement that for the Steelers it is best to not pay him that salary, but that's an enormous chunk of the offense to expect a rookie/FA and a 2nd year back to pick up.  Realistically, they'll have to lean more on Ben and guys like Bryant (unsure what his contract looks like) and Schuster to pickup some additional slack.

14 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Worth 14m for one year sure. I think Pittsburgh tags him and runs the wheels off that vehicle if and when he reports. 

Worth 42m guaranteed for three years? No way. Not to the Steelers. Maybe to the Browns or 49ers or any other team with a ton of cap room. He hit thet magical 400 touch mark. Never forget Jamal Lewis! 

Browns have the 1 and 4 picks in the draft. They would be able to  draft  Barkley and save  .   His best option if he can't agree with the steelers is the 49ers iMO.  I can't see a team offering a 5 year deal though.

I saw a term on Twitter today that I think is accurate - that the Steelers "DeMarco'd" LeVeon Bell. I don't think it's worth any team's time to sign him for any long-term deal (3+ years). It'll be interesting to see what happens and if his body/legs can hold up given that DeMarco Murray fell completely off the map once he left Dallas after that year.

4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

if his body/legs can hold up given that DeMarco Murray fell completely off the map once he left Dallas after that year.

DeMarco's durability has always been an issue since his rookie year.  It also had nothing to do with Dallas' FO releasing him...as if those bozos were reading the tea leaves.  They let him walk because they got drunk off of the idea that the O-line was 100% responsible for their run game, felt any average/slightly above average RB could replicate it,  and didn't feel that a short-expiration date position like RB was worth sinking resources/$6M+ in (and they quickly learned their mistake and overcompensated the next year by drafting an RB with the #4 pick lol).   The reason this whole "Demarco fell off after Dallas" had legs (pun intended) with the media was because of that DA Coach Chip Kelly thinking Murray was able to play the same style of RB as the recently departed Shady McCoy.  Other than that year, his production has been inline with pretty much every year he's been in the league except for that 2014 season.

Murray was and is a downhill, "one-cut and go" RB that'll get you an extra 1-2 yards after contact per run, great hands and is a top-shelf pass protector.  I see him as a Frank Gore type RB, who, strangely enough, Chip was also close to signing to fill Shady's position. Chip Kelly was a DMF.

13 hours ago, BLick12 said:

You're right, I misread that, my fault. I'm in agreement that for the Steelers it is best to not pay him that salary, but that's an enormous chunk of the offense to expect a rookie/FA and a 2nd year back to pick up.  Realistically, they'll have to lean more on Ben and guys like Bryant (unsure what his contract looks like) and Schuster to pickup some additional slack.

If they could afford it, I am sure they would pay bell 5/85, but since all these other players have been paid, it will take contract reworking to find $20M+ to make it happen. 

The problem I have with signing Bell is the D needs the help. We had Bell and we never won a playoff game this year all because the offence sucked in the first half but more important was the D allowed 21Pts int he first half :o. I just don't see how keeping Bell will help especially considering how we have missed in the draft for D in recent years.  If they keep Bell, he needs to stay healthy (bit of a concern) and they need to have a great draft with many  D  picks that will play in 2018 as starters/upgrades over existing players. 

I wouldn't want any part of Bell. Drama queen, immature, and a pothead, one bust away from an even bigger suspension. What happens once he finally gets his guaranteed money over multiple years? Tag him or let him walk Pitt, keep that long term deal close enough to reach but not grab.

vector-of-a-dieting-cartoon-woman-runnin

On 2018-01-18 at 6:11 AM, Ward4HOF said:

True.  And what we Steeler fans are dealing with is our leading sack producer from NOT on the DL, is an ILB...which is not good when you run a 3-4. We lost our 1st Rd pick at ILB we suspect, forever, our other 1st Rd pick from 2007 at ILB last year, another 1st Rd pick in Jarvis Jones...the point being, typically, you depend on 1st rd picks to contribute, and we're losing them left and right.

For the cost of Bell, and about 20% of our RB production (including pass--we can find a guy who can grab 450yds and a couple of TDs receiving), we can save approx $10M or more that can be invest in a Defense that sorely needs it.

This isn't a QB...this is a position where there is more talent than available starting slots in the NFL, once the draft happens...

Watt could be good, but I doubt he will become near Harrison or Woodley from 2007-2011, but still a good player and a good pick so far.  dupree though, has shown no improvement in 3 years. As a matter of fact. I can't recall him ever utilizing moves that legit pass rushers employ, spin, swim, rip etc. He just goes straight ahead with power and then waits for the 4, 5 ,6 seconds  or for the DL or other oLB to force the QB his way and eventually there he has a sack stat.  If there was a site that showed players plays where they got their stats, we would see, but maybe in the future. 

3 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-blew-off-steelers-walkthrough-before-jaguars-loss/

Showed up five minutes before practiced ended on Saturday and late for the game. I guess he was busy tweeting.

I was going to post this too. This has to stop and the HC is where it starts. This team needs to clean up their act and be professionals . What will be next? Would anyone sign him now if we gave him the non exclusive franchise  tag? 

Who have we defeated in the playoffs with Bell in his career? How did it go this year in the playoffs. Great player, but we have too many needs  on D which is why we weren't going to win the SB or a playoff game.  Either pay bell or improve D, cap space won't be there to do both or will it?

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What a waster.

this could be a tactic of his for unknown reasons. Makes no sense for this to happen, he must have a reason.  It could affect his value , other teams could be losing interest, but all it takes is one team to sign him. 

Archived