NFL News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
21 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

caddy just has a big boner for Diggs

Odd, those purple uniforms do the opposite for me. Mike Hughes was a draft crush of mine, hope he has a miserably unsuccessful career.

I didn't really care for Mike Hughes. I liked him more than Josh Jackson tho

1 hour ago, ArthurPensky said:

What? The guy gets ripped on by fans constantly. @HorizontoZenith is correct. Cobb is underrated by fans.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I think Cobb is very close to being the fan favorite that Jordy was.  One of the few Packers who are on nationally televised commercials and a very humble, well spoken young man.  People like my father and brother who could careless about production absolutely adore Cobb. 

You calling him underrated is a perfect example of how he's a fan favorite.  How exactly is he underrated?  Since signing that MASSIVE contract he's been a 5 catch, 55 yard per game WR who hasn't reached even those averages in the vast majority of his games over the last 3 years.  That contract pays him like he's a super star yet his production on the field more aligns with JAG caliber of WR.  So when calling him underrated we're ignoring his huge contract and pedestrian production? 

33 minutes ago, SSG said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I think Cobb is very close to being the fan favorite that Jordy was.  One of the few Packers who are on nationally televised commercials and a very humble, well spoken young man.  People like my father and brother who could careless about production absolutely adore Cobb. 

You calling him underrated is a perfect example of how he's a fan favorite.  How exactly is he underrated?  Since signing that MASSIVE contract he's been a 5 catch, 55 yard per game WR who hasn't reached even those averages in the vast majority of his games over the last 3 years.  That contract pays him like he's a super star yet his production on the field more aligns with JAG caliber of WR.  So when calling him underrated we're ignoring his huge contract and pedestrian production? 

There has been a lot of criticism of Cobb over the past several years. I literally cannot remember anyone criticizing Jordy, ever. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

There has been a lot of criticism of Cobb over the past several years. I literally cannot remember anyone criticizing Jordy, ever. 

Can't say I agree as Jordy Nelson got a substantial amount of criticism the very second he wasn't living up to that contract.  

Jordy Nelson was producing at an elite level the last full year he had with AR12 so there wasn't much to be critical of IMO.

Edited by SSG

2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Josh Jackson was just a really awkward fit for what we want to do with corners.  He just hasn't shown the ability to play press coverage.  He's a natural off-ball corner.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:
5 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Josh Jackson was just a really awkward fit for what we want to do with corners.  He just hasn't shown the ability to play press coverage.  He's a natural off-ball corner.

Yup. I liked Josh Jackson just not in our defense. But like I said when we drafted him, I'm sure Pettine can find a way to make it work with him. King can press

13 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Yup. I liked Josh Jackson just not in our defense. But like I said when we drafted him, I'm sure Pettine can find a way to make it work with him. King can press

I only saw Iowa a few times last year, but I think Jackson might surprise people with regard to press technique.

It has seemed to me that Ferentz's defensive system doesn't use the corners in press very often, so his guys can get tagged as an off man corner.  The times I saw Jackson come up to the line, he seemed to handle it well.

As with any rookie, there will be growing pains, but I think he will have the versatility to fit with what Pettine wants to do.

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:
19 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I only saw Iowa a few times last year, but I think Jackson might surprise people with regard to press technique.

It has seemed to me that Ferentz's defensive system doesn't use the corners in press very often, so his guys can get tagged as an off man corner.  The times I saw Jackson come up to the line, he seemed to handle it well.

As with any rookie, there will be growing pains, but I think he will have the versatility to fit with what Pettine wants to do.

Josh looked absolutely lost when he was asked to backpedal at the combine, which isn't a great sign. He needs some work, which is fine

24 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Josh looked absolutely lost when he was asked to backpedal at the combine, which isn't a great sign. He needs some work, which is fine

I think the Tramon signing was a good sign for JJ. What Tramon did well last year is what JJ should be best at. To me that (hopefully) means they have a role designed in the new defense for that type of player. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:
39 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I think the Tramon signing was a good sign for JJ. What Tramon did well last year is what JJ should be best at. To me that (hopefully) means they have a role designed in the new defense for that type of player. 

Great point. I hadn't really thought of that, I know Tramon played off the LOS but I hadn't put that together

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Do we know how we want to play our CBs yet?

We just gave a guy who hasn't been a DC in a couple years 2 top 2 round CBs this year to go along with 2 last year. What if he pulled some things from that Seattle scheme while he was advising and really liked the idea of Jackson in a certain role?

We really just don't know what our defense will be yet. You can look at how Pettine played in CLE/BUF/NY but these are different players, and he boasts that he like to tailor his scheme to the players.

Here's 2 cool articles on playing press coverage - first by Richard Sherman and 2nd how Pettine worked with his CBs in NY

Both are excellent reads on the topic and offer some insight on the nuances

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/richard-sherman-seahawks-what-you-dont-know-about-cornerback

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/19/packers-defense-cornerbacks-mike-pettine/624139002/

From Vic Ketchman:

Kal from Redondo Beach, CA
I've read more than once that CB Josh Jackson is primarily a zone coverage guy. He squats. What are your thoughts on that assertion, and what type of coverage does Coach Pettine favor?

Most good defenses have a shutdown corner and a squat corner. The shutdown guy is in man coverage -- Revis Island is a good way of saying it -- and the zone corner squats or stops at 10 yards and gets help over the top from the safety. Having used three high picks on corners in the last two years, I have to believe the Packers will find a shutdown type among the three, which will allow them to squat on the other side. The irony of that system is the squat guy is usually the one that makes most of the interceptions and touchdown returns because he's in position to jump routes.

Edited by Shanedorf

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Do we know how we want to play our CBs yet?

We just gave a guy who hasn't been a DC in a couple years 2 top 2 round CBs this year to go along with 2 last year. What if he pulled some things from that Seattle scheme while he was advising and really liked the idea of Jackson in a certain role?

We really just don't know what our defense will be yet. You can look at how Pettine played in CLE/BUF/NY but these are different players, and he boasts that he like to tailor his scheme to the players.

I wish we drafted Juju or Kamara instead of Josh Jones

• Like 1