NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think it was just a talking head, maybe Emmanuel Acho, but he said teams don't want to do the Ravens' negotiating for them, and won't entertain Lamar, knowing the Ravens would match.  If I were me, but I owned the Bears, I would guarantee Lamar like 80 million this season, just to screw the Ravens over.  

Unless the Ravens don’t match it. 

16 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Feel like that wasn't impossible. Little tight maybe.

Should be a few guys a bit more on bargain.

Thornton got a 7M average contract.

We are paying Salvage 7.9 on his tender.

Thornhill PFF.  2019= 71.5  2020= 52.8  2021= 70.2  2022= 67.1

Salvage PFF.  2019= 67.1  2020= 75.3  2021= 58.5  2022= 47.5

For what it is worth.....

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Lost in all of that is that this is Jamaal Williams' 3 RB contract.

Just very happy for him.  Class act through and through.

He led the league in TD's last year. Shows you how little the RB position is valued. Agree on him the person but when kick returners are getting 6 million that is a slap in the face. 

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He led the league in TD's last year. Shows you how little the RB position is valued. Agree on him the person but when kick returners are getting 6 million that is a slap in the face. 

Market value is in large part determined by player value over replacement though.  The run game is less valuable than the pass game and the best way to increase your productivity in the run game is to improve your OL, which also helps the pass game.  So RBs only provide value on a subset of a single phase of the game unless they're elite receiving options, which Williams isn't.  And if you're not an elite receiving threat, then there's very little functional difference between a 5/10 and 8/10 RB; 4.5 v 4.0 YPC over 150-200 carries is an extra 75-100 yards a season.  Maybe you get an extra 5-10 first downs, maybe a few extra TDs.  Would you rather pay vet minimum for the barebones line, or $6 million for the high end line?

Comparatively, Nixon's impact on the team was consistently improved starting field position for the offense as a phase, as well as adding multiple high impact plays.  A baseline returner has your offense starting at the 25 and potentially multiple negative impact plays.  Paying $6 million here gets you a night and day difference in performance.  On top of that, there's the fact that there are significantly less high end returners than there are high end RBs, so you're much more likely to find a solid replacement RB than you are a solid replacement KR if you let a good one go.

All of which to say, RBs as a group really have the deck stacked against them in the current NFL climate.  It's a bit surprising to me though that Williams wasn't worth that money to the Lions given what he did for the culture/team camaraderie overall.

• Like 6

Not going to lie, it makes me feel good when I see guys listening to their body and retiring early from the NFL. Adderly literally is able to walk away from the game. Best of luck to him. 

He was definitely a draft crush of mine back in 2019. Enjoy retirement and live a long, happy life young man. 

Chargers safety Nasir Adderley retires after 4 seasons (espn.com)

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

All of which to say, RBs as a group really have the deck stacked against them in the current NFL climate.  It's a bit surprising to me though that Williams wasn't worth that money to the Lions given what he did for the culture/team camaraderie overall.

RBs are definitely undervalued and  it's smart for teams to take advantage of that market inefficiency by bringing in younger, cheaper talent.  With that being said when you have a guy who uplift your locker room, you can pay a small premium for that.  The premium that we're paying for Jones is arguably not worth it, that contract for Williams very arguably is.  Now that the Lions are on the up, I need some reasons to route against them so I will be happy every time they lose as justice for Jamaal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Thornton got a 7M average contract.

We are paying Salvage 7.9 on his tender.

Thornhill PFF.  2019= 71.5  2020= 52.8  2021= 70.2  2022= 67.1

Salvage PFF.  2019= 67.1  2020= 75.3  2021= 58.5  2022= 47.5

For what it is worth.....

We’re paying Savage too much but it’s a bit of the “devil you know” scenario. He was being utilized better by Barry in the end even if the results aren’t spectacular, it’s not completely burning money. Hope he steps up in a contract year and puts that elite athleticism to use, and we get to work in FA and draft finding his replacement.