NFL News & Notes

Leader

15 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Please do not try and slip Deebo Samual into the RB group. He has never averaged 4 carries a game. He occasionally gets a snap out of the backfield but he's a jet sweep guy. 

Cook and McCaffery are on their second team already. 

There are so few RBs that separate themselves from the next 20 or so guys. Give me 3s who have different skill sets who are slightly above JAGS and let me roll. Give them a second contract if it's under 10 a year. Otherwise, let them walk. 

OK then, Deebo may not fit into the RB position as Jones and the rest do, but like them his production warrants his contract, same way the money we gave Jones to stay was deserved, they are not used in the same way as a Dillon or other rock pounders, there versatility sets them apart, GM's pay players like them on 2nd contracts because they are more rare.

1 hour ago, turf toe said:

OK then, Deebo may not fit into the RB position as Jones and the rest do, but like them his production warrants his contract, same way the money we gave Jones to stay was deserved, they are not used in the same way as a Dillon or other rock pounders, there versatility sets them apart, GM's pay players like them on 2nd contracts because they are more rare.

I'm not sure what our end game looks like with Jones...void years...etc.

But how both sides have managed his contract the past few years is incredible.  He's being paid well, he's not unhappy about it and we keep chugging along.

It is just kind of showing that it takes two to tango (nicely) in this RB market.  Probably helps, that, as you have said, we don't use Jones as a "rock pounder".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not sure what our end game looks like with Jones...void years...etc.

But how both sides have managed his contract the past few years is incredible.  He's being paid well, he's not unhappy about it and we keep chugging along.

It is just kind of showing that it takes two to tango (nicely) in this RB market.  Probably helps, that, as you have said, we don't use Jones as a "rock pounder".

If Packers cut or trade Jones after season, they have 12.3M of dead cap and save 4.8M of salary cap room. Jones has 3 void years added to contract (2025-27) that total 6.6M and prorated signing bonus of 5.7M. His base salary in 2024 is 11.1M.

With cap savings of just 4.8M if they move him, I think they find a way to bring him back unless he regresses or suffers a serious injury. Would they be able to find a replacement as good as Jones for that kind of money?

Part of Jones' relative longevity is that he has never had more than 236 rushing attempts.  For comparison, Ezekiel Elliott has eclipsed that mark in 6 of his 7 seasons, leading the league twice.  Both of them get about 55 targets in the passing game.  Jones is a low mileage back.  

I still think Jones has a bigger contract than I want to give to a RB.  But it works at the moment, so that is fine, I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

If Packers cut or trade Jones after season, they have 12.3M of dead cap and save 4.8M of salary cap room. Jones has 3 void years added to contract (2025-27) that total 6.6M and prorated signing bonus of 5.7M. His base salary in 2024 is 11.1M.

With cap savings of just 4.8M if they move him, I think they find a way to bring him back unless he regresses or suffers a serious injury. Would they be able to find a replacement as good as Jones for that kind of money?

That is kind of where I am at with his contract.  I wouldn't extend it out any more either.  Take the medicine right now, while we are probably not quite ready to compete for a title.

34 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Seems to me like he (Jones) wants to be a Packer and he knows his value as a RB in the league.

The club still values him, so they just keep finding ways to keep him in GB.

As long as he doesn't get a serious injury and shows that he still has the quicks, I believe both parties will find a way for him to be back.

• Like 1

I think there is a way to work out a contract with those "2nd tier" RB guys that makes sense for the player and the team.  Particularly when they weren't super high draft picks to begin with.  The problem is like Saquon Barkley was drafted #2 overall and he was getting compared to like Barry Sanders and Marshall Faulk coming out.  It's unlikely that dude (or if not Saquon specifically, someone in that same position) is not going to think he's an extremely important part of the team and should be paid accordingly.

It's not totally different from how 20 years ago superstar WRs were engaging in various antics to insist that they be paid what they think they're worth.  It's just that the scrip flipped and now teams readily do this for WRs but hesitate with RBs.

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Seems to me like he (Jones) wants to be a Packer and he knows his value as a RB in the league.

The club still values him, so they just keep finding ways to keep him in GB.

As long as he doesn't get a serious injury and shows that he still has the quicks, I believe both parties will find a way for him to be back.

I agree. Jones is being smart, getting more cash now, but also knows how good of a gig it can be to be a former Packers that the fans love. Sometimes playing the long game works out. 

Also, if Dillon can finally ball out this year I hope he has the same mind set. It seems by all accounts he loves being in Green Bay as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

F2poYSDa0AAI37y?format=jpg&name=medium

“Hey Joe, I need you to sign Jeff Cotton, Malik Heath, Bo Melton and Deuce Watts as soon as the Packers cut them.”

"No, Joe, I already told you, it is okay to contact Robert Tonyan's agent.  So what if he is signed by the Bears?  Don't you know who I am?   ....How the **** did ******* Josh ******* Myers **** this one up?"