NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Decent money for Yosh.

Happy for him and was wondering why a guy of that size and movement ability wasn’t picked up. He had a down year but he has put some decent tape out there over his time as a Packer. Hope he gets some PT and can maximize his talent and hope that we have better guys both starting and on the bench this season. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

The problem is paying that guy negatively impacts that roster around them. A QB worth paying even a Geno Smith contract needs to be better than adequate.

QBs dont cash in till they show they're "the guy" and Geno Smith isnt breaking SEA's bank (26.4M) or negatively affecting their roster due to cost.

The contract to look at on that roster is DKs (24.5M) and going to 29.5M next year. I dont think his stats warrant that kinda cash. He's UFA in 2026 at age 29 but I dont think he gets there. Either he'll be released in 2025 or the contract will be reworked / extended.

Ian Rapoport -  Last summer: Quarterback. This summer? Receiver.

Netflix announced its new sports series – “Receiver” – featuring Davante Adams, Justin Jefferson, George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and Amon-Ra St. Brown. Via NFL Films, Omaha Productions & 2PM Productions, Receiver debuts this summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -  Last summer: Quarterback. This summer? Receiver.

Netflix announced its new sports series – “Receiver” – featuring Davante Adams, Justin Jefferson, George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and Amon-Ra St. Brown. Via NFL Films, Omaha Productions & 2PM Productions, Receiver debuts this summer.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the Netflix series titled 'Punter'  or even 'Long Snapper'.

36 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm waiting with bated breath for the Netflix series titled 'Punter'  or even 'Long Snapper'.

Groundskeeper. Lambeau crew finally gets their due keeping the frozen tundra fresh as an Irish meadow through all seasons. 

Not. Worth. It.

Ian Rapoport -  The Browns and WR  Jerry Jeudy have agreed to a three-year contract extension worth up to $58 million, including $41 million fully guaranteed at signing.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Not. Worth. It.

Ian Rapoport -  The Browns and WR  Jerry Jeudy have agreed to a three-year contract extension worth up to $58 million, including $41 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Had to look at this a few times to actually believe it. 

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not. Worth. It.

That Watson signing really put them in a whirlpool. That's the definition of going all-in on a seven and a deuce.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Had to look at this a few times to actually believe it. 

This is the reality of the current WR market. We are sitting on a goldmine of mid to high talent guys on cheap deals. We need to maximize that group while we can. 

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

This is the reality of the current WR market. We are sitting on a goldmine of mid to high talent guys on cheap deals. We need to maximize that group while we can. 

Ah, sweet delicious memories of last year, when all manner of loudmouths kept screaming at us to pick up vets. I think a similar thing emerged in '06 if I'm not mistaken.

11 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I wonder if they really like Wicks if they might trade Watson if there's a good pick out there like a 2025 first.

51 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not. Worth. It.

futurama-serious.gif

I'm gonna go and check if his career numbers justify this contract.

Edit: I would say no. It is extremely middling career numbers. Not terrible but not amazing either. He's around Chris Goodwin and DJ Moore level of contract. The difference is these guys had multiple 1000 yard seasons in the 90 catch range. Jeudy hasn't really come close to that.

He probably ranks around 16th highest paid WR in the NFL in terms of contract value and ranked 7th in terms of guaranteed money.

Speaking of guaranteed money, Cortland Sutton need to sack his agent how did he only get $18m guaranteed with such a big overall contract? In the top 16 players 10 of them has guaranteed money over $30m. of those ten 8 has guaranteed $40m.

Davante Adams too. Biggest WR contract overall in the NFL but only $22m guaranteed.

Edit 2: I'm looking at this by the way: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

Edited by Chili

42 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I wonder if they really like Wicks if they might trade Watson if there's a good pick out there like a 2025 first.

I thought about it, but if we want a return like that, the trade needs to be soon so someone will see value in that contract.

Given his injury history now....that isn't happening.

He stays healthy next year?  Maybe the trade would be decent, but it is really for one cheap year, then a possible franchise tag.  That should deflate the value of the trade.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Not. Worth. It.

Ridiculous.  Gute is smart to draft them.  Guys like Watson and Doubs could be on the trade block at some point in the near future with what they are getting in FA.