NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

This is the reality of the current WR market. We are sitting on a goldmine of mid to high talent guys on cheap deals. We need to maximize that group while we can. 

I say just keep drafting them. I literally don't think I was alive the last time GB missed on a WR in their top 100 (I'm assuming Doubs was too, but who knows). Ferguson maybe? Although I think that was Sherman as head coach/gm. Carry six this year with Wicks, Doubs, Weed, Watson, and two draft picks, that way you don't get into the situation GB was in post Devante with only 1st year guys and late round flyers to count on.

edit: I guess maybe Amari

Edited by oldmansmell

Yosh got himself a pretty decent contract. It's 2 years and can max out at 15 million. I'm happy for him. 

So, potentially Runyan and Nijman's contracts could count for comp picks. Am I missing anybody else? I know we signed two guys to bigger deals. 

2 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

I say just keep drafting them. I literally don't think I was alive the last time GB missed on a WR in their top 100 (I'm assuming Doubs was too, but who knows). Ferguson maybe? Although I think that was Sherman as head coach/gm. Carry six this year with Wicks, Doubs, Weed, Watson, and two draft picks, that way you don't get into the situation GB was in post Devante with only 1st year guys and late round flyers to count on.

I definitely trust them to get some talented guys and keep the pipeline moving.  Hopefully we can trade one or two of our guys right as the new blood comes in.  Anyone we decide to keep should either be a perfect fit or a great value.  Amari was definitely a miss at 85, but even with him I understood what they were thinking. He was a great guy and had an interesting skill set but it's not always mind over matter in the NFL.  Too slow or too slow to process will get you burned with the elite athletes that play in the pros.

You're right, they are finding quality guys in the top 100 and I don't know if it's scouting, system, coaching- all of the above but we need to keep the WR factory running so we don't have to pay premium prices there.

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

This is the reality of the current WR market. We are sitting on a goldmine of mid to high talent guys on cheap deals. We need to maximize that group while we can. 

It's going to get a little dicey when the Packers WR and TE rooms start lining up for their 2nd contracts.

2 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

Amari was a clear miss.  I wouldn't call Montgomery in 2015 a hit either.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's going to get a little dicey when the Packers WR and TE rooms start lining up for their 2nd contracts.

Oh yeah.  If a guy like Watson has a banner year we might really have to see if someone would be willing to give up a decent pick for him. It would be hard to let a guy go who is finally getting it together and peaking but no way we can keep everybody, or even half of those guys.

Just now, Refugee said:

Oh yeah.  If a guy like Watson has a banner year we might really have to see if someone would be willing to give up a decent pick for him. It would be hard to let a guy go who is finally getting it together and peaking but no way we can keep everybody, or even half of those guys.

This ☝️

Trades. A foreign concept to GB. They simply dont do it.

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Weirdly, I think the safest guys might be the TE's.  Much harder to replace those guys.

TE would be my priority to re-sign if things continue with the current groups' development.  TE are cheaper and generally harder to find replacement.   Musgrave and Kraft were also productive as rookies, but that is more rare compared to WR being productive as rookies

3 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

Melton deserves to be on the 53.  Still have Heath and DuBose also.  WR's are good but think it is also a result of MLF's scheme.  If a superior talent falls in our lap sure take him.  Much rather use those resources at other positions tho.  Deep WR class so we'll see.  Maybe we take one if the right guy drops.  Agree with it in principle as WR pay has gotten way out of hand.  Just our cupboard is quite full at the moment.  Still have 2 more seasons with Watson and Doubs.  3 more with Reed and Wicks.  Timing just isn't right. 

55 minutes ago, Leader said:

This ☝️

Trades. A foreign concept to GB. They simply dont do it.

Could see a tag and trade in Watson's final year.  He'd have to ball out though.  Think the NFL is getting crazy with these absurd WR contracts.  Still can tender guys too.  It will be interesting in a couple of years no doubt.  Packers kinda broke the mold this year.  Young WR's balling out on cheap contracts.  2 2nd rounders a 4th and a 5th rounder.  Melton 6th rounder poached from a PS.  Makes me think WR position is being overrated in the NFL.  Scheme seems to negate their importance to a degree.  Or I'm wrong and our guys are just that good. 

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You jabronis are always trying to trade Watson. 

He’s the shiniest toy with the huge upside but we want to see him do what he was brought in to do. We’ve shown that he’s a luxury and we can kill you with the army of ants rather than the big grasshopper so I think he’s tradable if the price is right. Only after he has a highlight reel season, of course. 

• Like 1