NFL News & Notes

Leader

Dolphins assistant/QBs coach Jim Caldwell is taking a leave of absence to address health concerns. "I will be stepping back due to some medical complications that require my full attention," said the former Colts and Lions head coach, who joined Brian Flores' staff in Miami this offseason after spending last year out of the league. "I want to thank Stephen Ross, Chris Grier, Coach Flores and the rest of the organization for the support they have given me and my family." Caldwell will still help the Dolphins as a consultant, but most of his on-field responsibilities will be absorbed by assistant QBs coach Jerry Schuplinski.

Baker Mayfield has been impressed with WR Antonio Callaway this offseason. Mayfield said, "We have been very pleasantly and very happy with how he came back from the offseason ready to go. Just how quick he is and you can tell he has been working on his craft." The Browns are excited to get Callaway against CB3s this season with Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry receiving most of the attention, but targets will be slim for the second-year receiver. Callaway will be a low-end, boom-or-bust fantasy asset as a deep threat for Mayfield. ClevelandBrowns.com

Suspended Cowboys DE Randy Gregory will apply for reinstatement this week. Gregory was able to play in 16 games last season including the playoffs, recording six sacks along the way, but he was suspended in February for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Dallas signed Gregory to a one-year extension in April, suggesting they expect him to play again, and it at least appears possible that could happen as soon as this season. As of now, Gregory is suspended indefinitely. Ian Rapoport

On 7/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, Norm said:

There's a history of AFL that was on showtime. It's on YouTube. Happened on to it again, seen it a couple times. Look it up if you ever have time. Think it's 5 episodes. It's pretty damn interesting if you're into that kind of thing, I know most don't care about pro football history but it's pretty cool

Just finished it last night. It was definitely worth the watch. Thanks for the recommendation. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Just finished it last night. It was definitely worth the watch. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Yeah it's pretty neat. They did a lot of innovative stuff that I don't think people realize. And the rest is interesting as well

• Like 1

A "source close to Rob Gronkowski" puts his chances of playing at some point in 2019 at 40 percent. Gronk has already lost 18 pounds (per Gronk), but he has hardly slammed the door shut on suiting up at some point this season. It can be safely assumed the 30-year-old will sit out camp and the preseason. Any comeback would take place later in the year and almost certainly begin with a limited role on offense.  Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

The Titans' official website expects Delanie Walker (ankle) to be ready for Week 1. Walker recently expressed uncertainty about whether he would begin camp on the active/PUP list, but reserve/PUP to begin the year can be safely ruled out. Going on 35, the Titans have zero reason to rush Walker's recovery. It would not be surprising to see him sit out the entire preseason.

6 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

I was thinking the opposite. That's a steal for the Falcons

14.25 AAV for a non pass rushing LB? That's the second highest rate in the league for his position.

Coming off a busted foot?

Edited by AlexGreen#20

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

14.25 AAV for a non pass rushing LB? That's the second highest rate in the league for his position.

Coming off a busted foot?

Forces a handful of turnovers a year, is the league's best coverage linebacker, and is the team's leading tackler. That defense took a massive dip without him last year, and considering Mosley just got 17 a year, I'd say 14 million is a pretty good deal for Atlanta