NFL News & Notes

Leader

5 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Forces a handful of turnovers a year, is the league's best coverage linebacker, and is the team's leading tackler. That defense took a massive dip without him last year, and considering Mosley just got 17 a year, I'd say 14 million is a pretty good deal for Atlanta

Being a team's leading tackler at ILB isn't difficult. It's expected. 

They gave up 24.5 PPG in the six games that he played. Buoyed by holding the Cardinals and Buccaneers to 24 points combined.

They game up 27.6 PPG in the ten games that he didn't play, with the three weakest games being Bengals/Bucs/Giants. 

Is he a difference maker, or did they just play a really soft schedule with him in town?

Mosley also signed a ridiculous deal.

I like Deion Jones, always have.  Instinctive.  Quick.  Fast.  Powerful.  Yah, I like him probably even more than Marinez.

That's a lot of money for an ILB, though.  Not sure if it is worth it.  Let's see if the math bears it out....

I think a premium ILB is worth, on average, 8.5M/year.  I"m routinely wrong on these assumptions as evidence by deals signed.  So, my new formula is whatever I feel is best, plus 30%.  

So...maybe $11M/season.  

Which now has me hoping that Burks truly "gets it" this year.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I like Deion Jones, always have.  Instinctive.  Quick.  Fast.  Powerful.  Yah, I like him probably even more than Marinez.

That's a lot of money for an ILB, though.  Not sure if it is worth it.  Let's see if the math bears it out.... 

Deion Jones and Deonne Buchannon are the model hybrid S/LB's out there. That's why they got paid. The rest of the league is trying to find their Jones or Buchannon, which is essentially why we drafted Burks in the first place.

Edited by Joe

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

Deion Jones and Deonne Buchannon are the model hybrid S/LB's out there. That's why they got paid. The rest of the league is trying to find their Jones or Buchannon, which is essentially why we drafted Burks in the first place.

Buchannon never got paid fwiw. Played out that rookie deal with the 5th but caught some injuries and is making peanuts this coming season

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Buchannon never got paid fwiw. Played out that rookie deal with the 5th but caught some injuries and is making peanuts this coming season

oh, thought he got paid more. We should've brought him in TBH if he was that cheap. He's worth the gamble IMHO.

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

oh, thought he got paid more. We should've brought him in TBH if he was that cheap. He's worth the gamble IMHO.

Yeah the only reason I knew that and brought it up is because someone was talking about that bring a good gamble a couple weeks back and I thought as well that he got decent $$.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport: The NFL did not find that Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill violated the Personal Conduct Policy. He may attend Kansas City's training camp and participate in all club activities.

Good. Nice to see the NFL take their time with these things

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport: The NFL did not find that Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill violated the Personal Conduct Policy. He may attend Kansas City's training camp and participate in all club activities.

So the tapes were inadmissible. Gotcha.

NY Post:

Former Giants offensive lineman Mitch Petrus is dead at 32 after suffering an apparent heat stroke in Arkansas. A Super Bowl champion in 2012, Petrus had been working outside his family’s shop in Lonoke County which led to the heat stroke, according to the Pulaski County coroner. Petrus played three NFL seasons, two with the Giants and a third split between New York, the Patriots and Titans, getting into 27 games with four starts. He played a season-high 55 snaps in the Giants’ Super Bowl XLVI win over the Patriots in 2012.  Like much of the U.S., Arkansas is in the grips of an intense heat wave.

////////////////////

Stay inside or stay seriously hydrated.

Acme Packing:  Packers’ first-round picks are not among betting favorites for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Surprisingly, Rashan Gary has better odds than Darnell Savage despite the safety being more likely to start in week one.

Here are the top players on this list:

Nick Bosa, EDGE, SF (5:1)

Josh Allen, EDGE, JAX (7:1)

Devin White, LB, TB; Quinnen Williams, DT, NYJ (8:1)

Devin Bush, LB, PIT; Ed Oliver, DT, BUF (10:1)

Montez Sweat, EDGE, WAS (12:1)

Brian Burns, EDGE, CAR (14:1)

Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, OAK (16:1)

Rashan Gary, EDGE, GB (20:1)

Jerry Tillery, DT, LAC (25:1)

DeAndre Baker, CB, NYG; Byron Murphy, CB, ARI; Juan Thornhill, S, KC; Greedy Williams, CB, CLE; Chase Winovich, EDGE, NE (28:1)

Jonathan Abram, S, OAK; Sean Bunting, CB, TB; L.J. Collier, EDGE, SEA; Dexter Lawrence, DT, NYG; Darnell Savage, Jr., S, GB; Christian Wilkins, DT, MIA; Joejuan Williams, CB, NE (33/1)

Some straight talk from Vic Fangio.....

Just two days into training camp practice, Broncos coach Vic Fangio threw cold water on the notion that (Drew) Lock was ready to play in a professional football game, much less take Joe Flacco's starting job in Denver.

Lock's lively but wild arm, Fangio told reporters Friday, needs to be tempered.

"I think a quarterback that can change his arm angles is a position when it's needed. You don't want to do it when you don't have to do it. Obviously if someone's in my face and I have to do it, that's good to have that talent," Fangio explained. "But if I'm strong in the pocket and there's nothing, I want to throw over the top, nice and strong. I don't want to rely on side-arms. It's good that he can do that, but he needs to use that when he needs to and not when he doesn't need to. His college offense really had no carryover to pro offenses. He was under duress a lot in college, so a lot of his plays he was running around.

"I don't think he's far along as far as being as NFL-ready a quarterback as he could've been. That's what I mean when I say he's got to get ready. He's not a quarterback yet -- he's a hard-throwing pitcher that doesn't know how to pitch yet. The faster he gets that, the better off he'll be and we'll be."