NFL News & Notes

Leader

47 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Last night it sure looked like Fangio needs the Bears' personnel on D more than the Bears personnel needs Fangio. 

I think by mid-season we'll see they both need each other. Fangio doesn't have nearly as many horses on that defense than he did in Chicago. Jury is still out on how Pagano runs the Chicago defense. Our offense was quite offensive honestly. It will improve though. 

13 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I think by mid-season we'll see they both need each other. Fangio doesn't have nearly as many horses on that defense than he did in Chicago. Jury is still out on how Pagano runs the Chicago defense. Our offense was quite offensive honestly. It will improve though. 

I keep reading Pagano as Pan-gio when referring to Chicago and I don't think I'm going to make an effort to change. 

The Official 2019 Saints Penalty Watch has begun. I'm figuring every week coverage will include reference to some officiating slight (or mistake) that cost (or almost cost) the Saints - of course with reference to the crime against humanity committed in their game against the LAR.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Because talent wins out on defense...

This is not the only explanation.  Coaching one third of a team is considerably different from coaching all three phases of a team and monitoring a game.  How many times have we seen defensive-minded head coaches lose touch with that side of the ball? 

Also, the Raiders added a ton of talent on both sides of the ball this offseason.  This is not the Raiders of 2018.  That is almost a different roster entirely. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is not the only explanation.  Coaching one third of a team is considerably different from coaching all three phases of a team and monitoring a game.  How many times have we seen defensive-minded head coaches lose touch with that side of the ball? 

Also, the Raiders added a ton of talent on both sides of the ball this offseason.  This is not the Raiders of 2018.  That is almost a different roster entirely. 

Ton of talent is very generous. The Raiders are bottom 5 at the skills no doubt.

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Oakland has some talent along the OL, but their skill positions are mediocre at best.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Ton of talent is very generous. The Raiders are bottom 5 at the skills no doubt.

First rookie RB to have 100 yards from scrimmage and 2 touchdowns since 2001 tells me differently.  Last player to do that was Ladanian Tomlinson. 

Tyrell Williams isn't terrible, either.  Bottom 5 I would say is pushing it.  Definitely not top half, but I wouldn't say bottom 5. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

First rookie RB to have 100 yards from scrimmage and 2 touchdowns since 2001 tells me differently.  Last player to do that was Ladanian Tomlinson. 

Tyrell Williams isn't terrible, either.  Bottom 5 I would say is pushing it.  Definitely not top half, but I wouldn't say bottom 5. 

He needed 24 touches to do that. Less than 4 YPC, he just got volume, nothing impressive about Jacobs other than he's their horse and they're going to ride him as a rare true feature back. Great if you own him in fantasy, but he doesn't move the needle. Williams is their best skills guy, and he's a slightly better MVS.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

He needed 24 touches to do that. Less than 4 YPC, he just got volume, nothing impressive about Jacobs other than he's their horse and they're going to ride him as a rare true feature back. Great if you own him in fantasy, but he doesn't move the needle. Williams is their best skills guy, and he's a slightly better MVS.

He did it against the Broncos, who happen to have talent on defense. 

It was 24 points.  Let's not act like the Raiders pulled a Patriots on the Broncos.  It was at home for the Raiders.  And it was week 1. 

Mike Garafolo:  Eagles DT Malik Jackson is expected to miss the season with a Lisfranc injury suffered Sunday vs. the Redskins. Jackson will have surgery next week. Tough one for Philly despite their DL depth.

Ian Rapoport:  A brutal blow for one of the #Eagles biggest acquisitions of the offseason. A top D-lineman goes down in Week 1.

58 minutes ago, Leader said:

Mike Garafolo:  Eagles DT Malik Jackson is expected to miss the season with a Lisfranc injury suffered Sunday vs. the Redskins. Jackson will have surgery next week. Tough one for Philly despite their DL depth.

Ian Rapoport:  A brutal blow for one of the #Eagles biggest acquisitions of the offseason. A top D-lineman goes down in Week 1.

We play them 9/26 in GB. Wish we had Jackson! Feel he and Rodgers would be great together.