NFL News & Notes

Leader

Ian Rapoport: The #Steelers received plenty of interest in Josh Dobbs all summer, but held firm to make sure they had solid draft pick compensation. They got it from Jax.

Source: The #Jaguars have traded for Steelers QB Josh Dobbs. The compensation is a 2020 5th rounder.

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Mike Tomlin, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, Adam Gase, Ron Rivera, Dan Quinn, Bill O'Brien, Bruce Arians. 

Those are the coaches I see in danger of getting fired.  If Gase keeps blowing things, he might be one and done. 

Doug Marrone too (despite Foles) if they implode.

What if Minnesota misses the playoffs? Zimmer? Actually Patricia too if the Lions are awful.

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Mike Tomlin, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, Adam Gase, Ron Rivera, Dan Quinn, Bill O'Brien, Bruce Arians. 

Those are the coaches I see in danger of getting fired.  If Gase keeps blowing things, he might be one and done. 

There's usually at least a 1 year grace period of new HC, so Gase and Arians seem unlikely to be fired.  Plus, I think it's more likely Arians re-retires than he gets fired.  Mike Tomlin has missed the playoffs once in the last five seasons, I think he's got another year grace period before his seat truly gets warm unless he loses the locker room.  Shanahan is 7-2 with Jimmy G as his starting QB.  Since Jimmy G became his starting QB, he's 3-10 without him.  He's safe at this point.  Jay Gruden's seat is definitely getting warm, but it's also Daniel Snyder so who knows.  Ron Rivera gets fired if the Panthers miss the playoffs IMO.  Think Dan Quinn is safe at this point, but his seat gets real warm if they miss the playoffs again.  Bill O'Brien is a dead man walking unless they make the playoffs IMO.  They currently have no GM and Nick Caserio isn't eligible to sign with another team until after the season.  I anticipate he'll get the GM gig, and he's going to bring in his own guy.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Doug Marrone too (despite Foles) if they implode.

What if Minnesota misses the playoffs? Zimmer? Actually Patricia too if the Lions are awful.

I think Marrone just bought himself a freebie with Foles' injury. 

And yeah, Zimmer is a candidate, too.  Forgot about him.  I think the Falcons probably end up below 8 wins, which will prove what they just did was not all that spectacular.  I could see the Vikings losing up to 4 of their next five games depending on whether or not the Raiders have improved.  Then they face the hard part of their season. 

Road games against the Chiefs, Cowboys, Seahawks and Chargers. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

There's usually at least a 1 year grace period of new HC, so Gase and Arians seem unlikely to be fired.  Plus, I think it's more likely Arians re-retires than he gets fired.  Mike Tomlin has missed the playoffs once in the last five seasons, I think he's got another year grace period before his seat truly gets warm unless he loses the locker room.  Shanahan is 7-2 with Jimmy G as his starting QB.  Since Jimmy G became his starting QB, he's 3-10 without him.  He's safe at this point.  Jay Gruden's seat is definitely getting warm, but it's also Daniel Snyder so who knows.  Ron Rivera gets fired if the Panthers miss the playoffs IMO.  Think Dan Quinn is safe at this point, but his seat gets real warm if they miss the playoffs again.  Bill O'Brien is a dead man walking unless they make the playoffs IMO.  They currently have no GM and Nick Caserio isn't eligible to sign with another team until after the season.  I anticipate he'll get the GM gig, and he's going to bring in his own guy.

Didn't Bill give up two first round picks and a second round pick for Tunsil and Stills while only getting back a fourth in that deal and third for Clowney?  

Certainly crippling any incoming new GM.

And clearly putting himself in "better win now" mode.

Let me ask you this....does the lack of picks tarnish that job enough to keep some GM's away?  Does it keep Caserio away?  (I think it does tarnish, but not enough to keep Caserio away.)

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

The Patriots have 4.5 million of AB's money tied up in stat bonuses: catches, yards, TDs. Get your popcorn ready because he's not going to like when Brady doesn't only have eyes for him! 

He acts up they'll flush him. I see no downside for NE here. That lockerroom's had "characters" in it before that didnt burn things down. ABs not gonna be that guy IMO.

Just now, Leader said:

He acts up they'll flush him. I see no downside for NE here. That lockerroom's had "characters" in it before that didnt burn things down. ABs not gonna be that guy IMO.

They gave him 9 million guaranteed and you see no downside to it? They also cut two guys on their 53 to get under the cap, but no downside?