NFL News & Notes

Leader

6 hours ago, cannondale said:

I hate when that is brought up. It implies that other players are just scraping by

? Nothing of the sort. It has nothing to do with other players.
Rather, its a simple statement of fact that has bearing on Brady's decisions.

His household is flush with cash. His wife is a cash cow. That matters.

ESPN - The Bucs on Tuesday agreed to terms with David on a two-year deal worth $25 million, with $20 million guaranteed.  Entering Tuesday, the Bucs had roughly $15 million in salary-cap space, according to Roster Management. They were able to get creative and use three voidable years in David's contract to spread his cap number more evenly.

11 hours ago, cannondale said:

I hate when that is brought up. It implies that other players are just scraping by

Kind of agree.

I think he takes less because he's not that physically talented. But he knows that defenses win championships.  He didn't do much at all in the NFCCG or the Superb Owl.  Capitalized on the other teams' mistakes, but his defense made the difference in both games.

I don't like the narrative that if Rodgers took less that we would automatically win.  That's BS.  Free Agency is a crapshoot.  The average NFL career is like 4 years? They should make whatever they can NOW.

We were good enough talent wise this year.  Which means we are already 'All In'.

I don't hate Brady, I just hate how effing lucky he is and how many times there are crucial calls that go his way.

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yuck. Without looking at the number, this puts the Packers right around $9.5m over the cap as of today. 

According to Spotrac that puts us at $8.3m over.  Need about $8m for rookies. Maybe $4m or so for tenders. $5 for rollover.

If we purged some of our tail end roster folk e.g Burks, Jackson, Rush, Williams, Summers and a bunch of guys I never heard of we could get close to getting under the cap. Question whether that depth is easily replaceable or not?

Next obvious cut is Lowry at $6.3m, cutting him would get us $3.3m

Billy, Amos and Z Smith are good candidates to extend to lower this years cap hit. Which I'm assuming we would be doing if we are going after Jones.

If we want to spend on FA's this year cutting P.smith as post June 1st on the first day of the league year get us another $12m to shop with.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

According to Spotrac that puts us at $8.3m over.  Need about $8m for rookies. Maybe $4m or so for tenders. $5 for rollover.

Rookie pool is probably closer to $2.5M since you're displacing players who are making minimums salaries, which are ~600k apiece.  ERFA's add an extra ~200k, so figure ~$1M for all 5 ERFAs.  RFAs are a bit pricier.  A first round tender adds about ~$4M, 2nd round tender about ~$2.7M, and ROFR is about $1.5M.  Robert Tonyan, Raven Greene, and Chandon Sullivan are the only real tag candidates there IMO.  And that doesn't prevent then from extending them.

• Like 1

If we purged some of our tail end roster folk e.g Burks, Jackson, Rush, Williams, Summers and a bunch of guys I never heard of we could get close to getting under the cap. Question whether that depth is easily replaceable or not?

The problem is that money saved by releasing the back-of-the-roster players likely don't get much cap savings when you factor that you have to replace them.

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Kind of agree.

I think he takes less because he's not that physically talented. But he knows that defenses win championships.  He didn't do much at all in the NFCCG or the Superb Owl.  Capitalized on the other teams' mistakes, but his defense made the difference in both games.

I don't like the narrative that if Rodgers took less that we would automatically win.  That's BS.  Free Agency is a crapshoot.  The average NFL career is like 4 years? They should make whatever they can NOW.

We were good enough talent wise this year.  Which means we are already 'All In'.

I don't hate Brady, I just hate how effing lucky he is and how many times there are crucial calls that go his way.

If Rodgers took slightly less so we can keep/sign top level talent, it would increase our odds of bringing it home and that's all you can ask for.  Of course you still have to catch lightning in a bottle with talent/health/getting hot at the right time to win it all but if one guy eats up a huge chunk of the cap, it gets even harder.

I won't hold it against 12 if he wants to get paid what he's worth, but if he wants to increase his odds of another ring, he better hope for homeruns in the draft and/or be willing to take a bit less. 

Also, I hate Brady and have no problem saying it.

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

According to Spotrac that puts us at $8.3m over.  Need about $8m for rookies. Maybe $4m or so for tenders.

The rookies & RFA’s bump off minimum-salary guys at the bottom of the 51. So the rookies together only add about $1.6m to the cap as they are bumping off 6 players making $0.66m each. GB’s final 4 draft picks make less than the cutoff, so they don’t add anything. 

Using @CWood21’s numbers and assuming they tender Tonyan w/ a 2R, and Green/Sullivan with minimum tender, it’s a 3.5m adder over the guys they are replacing, since they’re starting to bump off $0.70+m guys. 

So assume a -5.1m hit for picks & RFA’s. Unless they have to match a RFA deal by another team.

Just now, TransientTexan said:

Using @CWood21’s numbers and assuming they tender Tonyan w/ a 2R, and Green/Sullivan with minimum tender, it’s a 3.5m adder over the guys they are replacing, since they’re starting to bump off $0.70+m guys. 

Already took those into account unless OTC's RFA tenders come in lower then they're using.  You're talking about ~$5M for the RFAs.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Already took those into account unless OTC's RFA tenders come in lower then they're using.  You're talking about ~$5M for the RFAs.

Ok, so my revised numbers would be +1.6m for the draft picks and +5.44m for the RFA’s (who are bumping off a 0.77, a 0.74, and a 0.70). 

so they’d be 16.72m over the cap before any restructures and extensions. Assuming $0 rollover/margin.

18 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Ok, so my revised numbers would be +1.6m for the draft picks and +5.44m for the RFA’s (who are bumping off a 0.77, a 0.74, and a 0.70). 

so they’d be 16.72m over the cap before any restructures and extensions. Assuming $0 rollover/margin.

So using the above, if they execute all their non-Rodgers moves (Lowry cut & restructure/extension for D.Adams, the Smiths, Amos, & Crosby) you probably end up 6.2m-8.5m under the cap (8.5 is if Preston is cut). 

Rodgers restructure could add maybe 12m space. 

• Like 1