NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Leave it to agents to come up with the idea to not accept that there is less money to be offered when indeed there is less money to be offered. 

Yeah.    There are 256 rookies coming into the league on 4 year cheap contracts + UDFA that will also be on cheap contracts and be able to have ERFA, RFA contracts after those initial contracts expire.  Figure each team keeps around 2 UDFA in a normal season, that might jump up to 3-4. 

So that 256 drafted rookies + UDFA (60-100-120 players) means total of around 350 super cheap players in a limited salary cap season.  

Top Tier UFA will get there $$

Middle tier/depth players/back of roster players ---- THIS GROUP going to feel the squeeze IMO

Rookies and UDFA where the contracts are set and cheap for 4 years

21 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Why would he work a discount when the team is planning/drafting his replacement?   Why would he expect that any discount he gave would be used to help the team win in the near term?

The draft last year was about replacements all through the picks rather than any focus on short term success.

You're looking at this through the eye of last years draft I wasn't. If TT/Gute had more room to work maybe they wouldn't have looked to grab a QB on the cheap who fell.

Think about why they drafted replacements did it have to do with costs? .........Jones would price himself out, Some thought AR priced himself out and then he played better. The replacement was smart drafting which is a marginal portion of our cap annually.

With that said as I noted further to OP's point is if AR had maybe taken a more team friendly approach he wouldn't be pissing and moaning about the draft as the Pack would have had other money to sign someone on the FA market too. Lots of ways to skin the cat. Regardless AR's burden of a contract in comparison to the player that OP and others were speaking of was what 7-8 MIL different. What could you do with that money in a season? 

I wasn't making a value judgement on the draft last year.

I don't think its out of the question that Rodgers not trust that him giving up money would do anything toward.  Based on last years draft, any veteran could come to the conclusion that any money given back would go toward their replacement rather than trying to take the extra step to help win this year.  

We drafted a QB we knew wouldn't play.   In the 2nd we drafted a RB at the teams strongest position.   

Why wouldn't they think they would only be facilitating their replacement?   TB went out and brought in Gronk, Suh, Fournette etc.    We brought in replacements for veterans late in their contract that now aren't getting resigned. 

On 2/25/2021 at 3:31 PM, PACKRULE said:

The thing is when you have a QB a few teams have the pennies get pinched somewhere? You can't have a great Oline and not pay for it like some teams. That extra 3-4 Mil a year that AR and RW make take away from other positions. Teams are dumb to they keep escalating these salaries. It's not a sustainable model. Unless you have superstars on rook deals that don't need to be extended yet. 

OL isn't the position I'm avoiding paying though...

On 2/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, CWood21 said:

OL isn't the position I'm avoiding paying though...

agreed within reason at the corners for sure. With that said though the caveat is on the QB being smart enough to say he boss i'm ok at 28 mill save a few bucks for a rainy day:)

On 3/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, Down to Earth said:

Good money for Watt, but not likely to be a championship caliber team next year with some of their losses and a very tough division. LA is better and San fran should not be broken like this year and is RW stays with the seachickens they will be good too. 

10 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Good money for Watt, but not likely to be a championship caliber team next year with some of their losses and a very tough division. LA is better and San fran should not be broken like this year and is RW stays with the seachickens they will be good too. 

I think the Cards will be a wild card team this year but will be SB contenders the next year. 

Ian Rapoport -   The Saints have had trade conversations about potentially dealing DT Malcom Brown. In the third year of a 3-year, $15M contract, a trade or release would save NO about $5M against the cap – and obviously they have a lot of work to do to get under the cap.

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I think the Cards will be a wild card team this year but will be SB contenders the next year. 

If there is one non-Packer I would like to see get a ring it’s Fitzgerald.

If there are two, they’re Fitzgerald and Watt.

They got no chance in hell at winning before either of their legs fall off though.

And Kyler Murray is not a good QB.

7 YPA is Sam Darnold territory.

If you don’t see a good half YPA jump in their second year, they’re not coming back from that and they’re stuck in that Darnold, Mariota, etc range of QB.

24 hours later and I'm already tired of the Watt news. You went to AZ because they offered you $15.5m/year, and more importantly, $23m guaranteed, bro. That's the only reason. Because if he went to the NFCW because of Kyler Murray, then he's a much bigger idiot than I took him for...

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 7:15 PM, packfanfb said:

24 hours later and I'm already tired of the Watt news. You went to AZ because they offered you $15.5m/year, and more importantly, $23m guaranteed, bro. That's the only reason. Because if he went to the NFCW because of Kyler Murray, then he's a much bigger idiot than I took him for...

That's the world of Optics for you dude. The cold hard truth is not conductive to a fan atmosphere whatsoever.