Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

I think picking up Bumgarner even as a rental would do wonders. He's got a lot of World Series experience and would give the Twins a serious veteran presence. Throw in a Kimbrel or another good reliever and the Twins would be set for the postseason.

Kimbrel should already be a Twin. 

He’s a 7x All Star that you can add for nothing but shelling out some money, which the team will be raking in if they keep winning. 

If he’s not a Twin, or the Twins aren’t reportedly heavily involved with trying to sign him after the draft, then it just just solidifies that notion that this team’s ownership doesn’t care about winning. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

I definitely expect a cool-off at some point. I don't think Perez and Odorizzi are going to be sub 3.00 ERA guys by the end of the year. But there is so much juice in the lineup, that they can pick up the starters when they cool off. I definitely think the pitching will come back to earth before the hitters do. Except the home runs. I don't see that as sustainable. 

Many "experts" don't thinks that Twins won't do much unless we seriously improve our pitching staff. Saying that we are built for the regular season but not the post season. I think that I agree with them. Would prefer not to get knocked out by New York.

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Kimbrel should already be a Twin. 

He’s a 7x All Star that you can add for nothing but shelling out some money, which the team will be raking in if they keep winning. 

If he’s not a Twin, or the Twins aren’t reportedly heavily involved with trying to sign him after the draft, then it just just solidifies that notion that this team’s ownership doesn’t care about winning. 

Yea they need to sign Kimbrel right after that draft is over. Sign Kimbrel and trade for a good starter at the deadline and things will be looking really really really nice!

15 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Many "experts" don't thinks that Twins won't do much unless we seriously improve our pitching staff. Saying that we are built for the regular season but not the post season. I think that I agree with them. Would prefer not to get knocked out by New York.

We could use an ace I suppose. Is there a Cy Young caliber pitcher that might be available before the deadline?

You guys are a tough crowd. The season is almost a third over and the Twins have the best record in baseball, largest run differential, most runs scored, and 8th best team ERA. I see no reason to fear them falling off a cliff or be in dire need of shaking up the roster. With the guys they currently have they have as good of a chance as anyone to win it all, and a better chance than most. Could they get beat in the playoffs or even miss out entirely? Sure, but thinking they must sign big name guys to assure it doesn't seem logical to me. Now if they could get Baumgartner or Kimbrell without mortgaging the future I'm all for it. But a move does not feel necessary to compete for the championship, and I would hate to lose any of their good, young players just to do so.

48 minutes ago, DisplacedViking said:

You guys are a tough crowd. The season is almost a third over and the Twins have the best record in baseball, largest run differential, most runs scored, and 8th best team ERA. I see no reason to fear them falling off a cliff or be in dire need of shaking up the roster. With the guys they currently have they have as good of a chance as anyone to win it all, and a better chance than most. Could they get beat in the playoffs or even miss out entirely? Sure, but thinking they must sign big name guys to assure it doesn't seem logical to me. Now if they could get Baumgartner or Kimbrell without mortgaging the future I'm all for it. But a move does not feel necessary to compete for the championship, and I would hate to lose any of their good, young players just to do so.

It's not really meant to be a criticism. I'm just considering whether they would be better off with an ace in a short series.  Do these Twins have their Frank Viola or Jack Morris? Do they need one?

Edited by Worm Guts

21 hours ago, DisplacedViking said:

Now if they could get Baumgartner or Kimbrell without mortgaging the future I'm all for it. But a move does not feel necessary to compete for the championship, and I would hate to lose any of their good, young players just to do so.

I think that’s the point though. They have assets that could help them win now without mortgaging the future. Their payroll is isn’t an issue. This is an opportunity to improve the best team in baseball for a post season run, and make them better prepared for the future if they make the right moves.

This team has been so much fun to watch and are doing an amazing job, but there’s definitely room to improve the pitching staff.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DisplacedViking said:

To me, after over 3 decades of fandom, standing pat and saying “we’re good enough because...” is the most Twins thing they could do. Which leads to first round sweeps. Making a move for Kimbrel, MadBaum, or Keuchel would send the right message to everyone in the organization and the fanbase. 

No doubt this roster is excellent and among the best in baseball. But it isn’t without exploitable holes which the better teams in the league will find. We don’t have to mortgage anything by signing Kimbrel  or Keuchel. It’s just a question of whether they’re willing to write the checks, or if  Pohlads gonna Pohlad. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1

I would only want Bumgarner if he agreed to a reasonable extension. He’s had a lot of wear and gone through some injuries. Selling a piece for a one year rental or a monster new contract  wouldn’t be good for the Twins imo.