Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

**** Bremer is retiring from announcing. He's still working for the Twins, seems like an honorary position until he wants to fully retire. 40 years on Twins TV broadcasts which is amazing.

I remember when he was basically the part-time/backup guy on Twins' broadcasts. behind I think it was Ted Robinson or Bob Kurtz (when he was doing Twins games). 

19 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

That stupid loss against Northwestern really could come back to bite the Gophers. The west is so bad this year, there is a real opportunity.

It's the Fleck specialty.
Play down to inferior opponents, dont let the QB get in a rhythm so he's comfortable in the 2nd half, run the ball to run off clock (even if you're only up by 1 score or playing from behind), never play to score a TD late in a half (just try to get in FG range, if possible), never let your special teams do anything (it's always fair catch or let a punt hit the ground and roll for an extra 20 yards of lost field position - which he then loves because it gives him more room to run the ball), and then never scheme on D to stop the other teams best player - lets run a shell defense to not let anyone get behind us and then let them get behind us (which is technically more on Rossi but still).

He's just so damn stubborn about being ultra-conservative and not wanting to turn the ball over and not wanting the other team to have many possessions that he will end up putting his team in the spot that they have to play perfect to win. He needs to be aggressive alot more and try to go out and win games instead of just hoping for the best. It's so frustrating and his players deserve better. 3rd time he had a chance to win the West and go to the Championship game only to throw it away by losing games to far inferior teams.

I dont hate Fleck as a leader. He has built a great culture for the program. He has recruited and developed some talent (getting some to the NFL). But when it comes to being a game coach, he is severely outmatched by most other coaches. 
It sucks to want more from him and not get it. He always preaches to "change your best", but then refuses to look in the mirror and hold himself accountable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

They've had the ability for several years now, whether they can apply it consistently is a whole different matter.

Yes, and no to this. I think that they figured out the depth and PG more so this year (and some of last) than before. I also think that Ant has decided (and rightfully so) that it's his team not KAT's. So I think that is a difference this year.

That was a very nice win for the Wolves last night, though. Beating the Nuggets and the Celtics definitely looks good. Shame they messed up against the Raptors.

Just now, The Gnat said:

Yes, and no to this. I think that they figured out the depth and PG more so this year (and some of last) than before. I also think that Ant has decided (and rightfully so) that it's his team not KAT's. So I think that is a difference this year.

I hope so, but I still have little faith.  I've followed the franchise since the start and they've never been consistent in anything except being bad...or for the short time that they were consistently losing in the first round.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I hope so, but I still have little faith.  I've followed the franchise since the start and they've never been consistent in anything except being bad...or for the short time that they were consistently losing in the first round.

Guarded optimism is warranted with this franchise. However this is the most talented, mature, and capable wolves team we've seen since the Garrnett era.

We'll see how the season develops but Ant and McDaniels look ready to push this team to another level.

• Like 1