Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I wish there'd be a Minnesota wide boycott of the Twins. 

Sadly, fans are simply too loyal, and ownership knows it.

I wouldn't expect them to operate at a loss for very many years which apparently they did in 2022. Although I don't know how accurate that is because they wouldn't need to share their books would they?

They should strike while the iron is hot though.  The team is building towards something special and hopefully they don't hold back from spending a few extra million to get the players they need

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I wouldn't expect them to operate at a loss for very many years which apparently they did in 2022. Although I don't know how accurate that is because they wouldn't need to share their books would they?

They should strike while the iron is hot though.  The team is building towards something special and hopefully they don't hold back from spending a few extra million to get the players they need

They are confirmed to be cutting payroll. it sucks.

3 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

They are confirmed to be cutting payroll. it sucks.

"Will it be where it was last year? I don't expect that. I expect it less than that."

That doesn't seem like breaking news to expect to come down a bit from the highest point without having a TV deal in place

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I simply wish that baseball wasn't the only sport left where you have to discuss how much a team is spending on payroll. 

I don't know how they fix it.  Teams like the Yankees would never go along with revenue sharing.  Maybe they could put a cap to stop teams from speeding that much but why would the unions go along with that

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't know how they fix it.  Teams like the Yankees would never go along with revenue sharing.  Maybe they could put a cap to stop teams from speeding that much but why would the unions go along with that

there is a rev share pool. Every team contributes 48% of their earnings and split that pool evenly across all teams.

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

there is a rev share pool. Every team contributes 48% of their earnings and split that pool evenly across all teams.

Yes, but just like our tax system, there are loopholes in that, which allow the large market teams to skate out on sharing all their local revenue. 

Obviously, like we've discussed before here, there needs to be at minimum, a salary floor, but the players don't like that either.  While the ship sailed long ago,  I wish they had instituted the salary cap in '94.  If you're going to cancel the WS, then you better deliver.  They didn't.   

But, as it is now, the only solutions would probably have to incentivize winning (so teams can't just field non-competitive teams 4 out of 5 years so they can make money while supposedly rebuilding to make a 2-3 yr run where they then do it all over again) and have a progressive revenue sharing system which allows the smaller market teams to keep more of their local revenue.  The large market teams certainly wouldn't go for it, however.  But, the owners haven't been on the same page as far as doing things for the "good of the whole sport" all that often during my lifetime.  All the owners have generally been out for their own...but, I guess that happens when you had an owner being the "commissioner" for as long as Selig was.  They lost that impartial third-party that could potentially influence them to do things for the good of the game when they fired Vincent. 

• Like 2

The U of M under PJ Fleck has peaked. Every season he's allowed to continue coaching will make it harder for them to rise to any sort of relevance. That was already going to be a massive challenge with the new configuration of the B1G. Fleck just isn't capable of leading them anywhere past where they are now. I think that .500 will be an accomplishment each year until someone else is brought in.

I understand that the job isn't hyper attractive to prospective coaches, and that there are challenges that make it difficult to make major improvements, but Fleck has shown he's not going to overcome those. It's time to try someone new. 

It's too bad he can't just be the recruiter and let the University hire someone else to coach. 

• Like 1