Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

22 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the players here loved mike mularkey. it’s not as though that’s a surefire indicator of anything.

Agreed, but I think if they had been frustrated with year after year of losing close games late and playing ten yards off the LOS on 3rd and 2, their praise would have been less enthusiastic.  Neither of those articles has any feeling of "We need to get rid of this guy."  In the first, it seems he had a heart episode in the last game as Pats DC and had to leave the game before it was over and was taken to the hospital.  I think that would scare anyone into taking a step back to re-evaluate things.  In the BAL article, it seems he knew before the last game that he was calling it quits or he wouldn't have been so emotional about it.  Makes sense for a 68 year old who has had health scares in the past.

I'm not necessarily rooting for us to hire him.  I think it's risky to get someone off the retirement couch and expect them to put 100% effort back into the same daily grind.  But I think it's pretty silly to take it as gospel truth when Ravens fans complain about losing late leads and blaming the DC (which we all agree fans are quick to do).  If we hire him, I'd be cautiously optimistic based on his track record and the testimony of the Ravens defensive players.

Besides, if Vrabel stands idly by while our corners are ten yards back on 3rd and 2, then we're doomed no matter who we choose as DC!

Everybody's wrong. 

If you want Pees, you're wrong... and if you don't want pees, you're wrong as well.  

anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif?fit=500,2

Who I really want is that Lance Armstrong guy that was landing shuttles on the moon in the 60's and then injecting his one ******** to win 25 consecutive Tour de France... tours... He's got the Madden playbook ready... he'll always call press and throw the kitchen sink at the QB... and we still won't give up a single yard/point all year.  

1 minute ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Who I really want is that Lance Armstrong guy that was landing shuttles on the moon in the 60's and then injecting his one ******** to win 25 consecutive Tour de France... tours... He's got the Madden playbook ready... he'll always call press and throw the kitchen sink at the QB... and we still won't give up a single yard/point all year.  

...and to think we were impressed with a QB coach who doubled as a movie consultant.

1 minute ago, titanrick said:

...and to think we were impressed with a QB coach who doubled as a movie consultant.

Who's the better back up QB to Mariota though... Sandler, Foxx, or Reeves... that's the real question.

And I just noticed... but I can't say testicles on here... a medically recognized term... what about scrotum?... but I can probably say balls or nuts or nads or cojones.  This is bollocks!!!

Also take not of the hires Patricia made. Nothing earth shattering there. Hired an o line coach on his fourth team in 4 years. Fired from Denver. 

Whoever we get should be given a chance to succeed or fail with the franchise, regardless of what they've done in the past. 

11 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Still hoping for DeFilippo and Flores.

Curious to hear your view of why Flores would be a good addition. 

For the record I'd like to have him too. Curious to know why he'd be a good hire to you and in what role. 

2 hours ago, titanrick said:

I have a hard time drawing that conclusion from these articles...

http://www.espn.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4826721 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-pees-retiring-today-20180101-story.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-dean-pees-would-be-welcomed-back-by-players-20171231-story.html

Especially that last one.  I guess I would side with the players who played for him rather than the fans who aren't always well-versed in coverages/responsibilities and leap to conclusions about play calls. 

Not us, we don't do that... I'm talking about other, less sophisticated fans.  ;)

So he retired because hes done coaching and has no desire to coach any longer, the Ravens think he did an outstanding job and would love to have him back, but he's gonna come out of retirement a week into it because a player he worked with for a couple years is a HC now?

I haven't read anything to indicate that they were forcing him to retire or be fired, but that just makes a lot more sense than the logic I stated above.

I could be wrong, but I'm going to believe in "where there's smoke, there's fire".

Edit: And I'm not taking what fans say as 100% certainty, but the fans in their forum are every bit as credible as any fan here, and having actually watched them play I'm sure they have more insight than we do. We didn't hear the same stuff about Bettcher from Cardinaks fans when the rumors soared about him.

28 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

For the record I'd like to have him too. Curious to know why he'd be a good hire to you and in what role. 

I would love Flores but I’m assuming he’s staying in NE ??‍♂️

18 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Flores to me just fits what we’re building and fits the team cliches we’re after. He’s worked his *** off from the scouting department with Robinson to coaching assistant, to special teams, to coaching safeties for 4 years, and then to LB coach last year. He’s very well respected around the league and even got an interview with Arizona for HC.  He’s a young coach but has experience in a lot of different areas. It’s taking a chance on someone who hasn’t called plays but I’ll take him over Pees in a heartbeat.

Guessing that if we go with a more "inexperienced" guy as OC, that having a "vet" DC is probably going to be somewhat important. Not sure you want to be so green across the top 3 (HC, OC & DC). 

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Everybody's wrong. 

If you want Pees, you're wrong... and if you don't want pees, you're wrong as well.  

anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif?fit=500,2

What most people don't know is that Lance never actually won the Tour de France. It was actually his twin brother, Neil.

I spend so much time arguing against someone's logic on here that I think the argument I'm trying to make is lost. I don't care which side I'm on, if your argument doesn't make any sense I'm going to be against it.

Two days ago I was for Pees. Yesterday I was against him. Today I think I'm just going to stay neutral and realize I don't know ****. 

One thing that can't be argued is that he has won a Super Bowl as a DC with one team and served as DC for another team in a Super Bowl loss, although his defense only surrendered 17 points. 

Archived