Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

On 1/28/2018 at 5:05 PM, TitanSS said:
  • YEAR - TEAM - YARDS RANK - POINTS RANK
  • 2006 - NE   - 6th   - 2nd
  • 2007 - NE   - 4th   - 4th
  • 2008 - NE   - 10th - 8th
  • 2009 - NE   - 11th - 5th

My question with Pees is why did he go from DC of New England to LB coach of the Ravens? What happened that caused him producing defenses that put up these numbers to not returning to New England as DC and not getting a DC job anywhere else? Belichick didn't even name a defensive coordinator for the 2010 season, and didn't actually name a new DC until Patricia in 2012.

That question and Ravens fans detesting him despite the numbers suggesting at least a solid defense make me worry.

As a numbers guy, I think there is a lot to be optimistic about. The only thing that really has me down on him is his age and that he was retired, but his resume is very impressive. If we're going to have a first year HC and potentially a first year OC, it's probably best to have some experience on the defensive side.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

My question with Pees is why did he go from DC of New England to LB coach of the Ravens? What happened that caused him producing defenses that put up these numbers to not returning to New England as DC and not getting a DC job anywhere else? Belichick didn't even name a defensive coordinator for the 2010 season, and didn't actually name a new DC until Patricia in 2012.

That question and Ravens fans detesting him despite the numbers suggesting at least a solid defense make me worry.

Agreed. I poised that same question myself and my best guess is that they didn't want him back, but titanrick found an article that mentioned him having some sort of heart health issue and actually missing the end of the season. If that is the case, and he didn't come back due to uncertainty regarding his health, that would be more comforting.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

i believe it was speculated that he left the patriots because he had some health concerns at the time, so he took a step back from being a coordinator for a bit.

4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So we had to take his green son who has no business coaching in the NFL at this point to get his dad? Great

If the letter is accurate, it didn't mention what position he is taking. Probably taking some no-name assistant position for 30k a year.

5 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So we had to take his green son who has no business coaching in the NFL at this point to get his dad? Great

eh, that's nfl standard operating procedure. if he's a good DC, i won't care. but that's, uh, a big if.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

i believe it was speculated that he left the patriots because he had some health concerns at the time, so he took a step back from being a coordinator for a bit.

Hm. Feels kind of off given he still took a spot on a coaching staff like 2 weeks later. LB coach is a step down from DC in terms of workload, but any coaching position on an NFL staff is extremely demanding, but maybe it took enough off of him for him to be more comfortable.

51 minutes ago, VY said:

Guessing that if we go with a more "inexperienced" guy as OC, that having a "vet" DC is probably going to be somewhat important. Not sure you want to be so green across the top 3 (HC, OC & DC). 

OC will be a much different direction, someone more green. Going with Pees makes sense, even if only for 2-3 years is the plan (and he does a good job).  Just the mechanics of getting things done day to day, you want a bit of experience on the staff. The numbers speak well of Pees, let's hope the rest does as well. 

I'm ready to finally have a 21st century offense. Think that'll happen and we'll have a guy that will add excitement there.

If you believe Vrabel is hiring his buddies/guys he knows, then I wonder if Kevin O'Connell is a darkhorse for our OC spot.

Played with Vrabel in NE. Has a history with Mariota(trained and set up his pro day workout during the draft process). Was the QB coach for the Browns the same year DeFilippo was the OC. Had a year assistanting under Chip Kelly fwiw.

If we don't get DeFilippo or DeFilippo is not our target for OC, it wouldn't surprise me if O'Connell's name pops up.

Archived