Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

Just now, -Hope- said:

is "trying to do something with pieces that aren't there" not literally the reason we just torched our entire coaching staff

I think we weren't allowing our players to do what they good at....

vs

Wanting to do something, but not having the players to do it.

One is trying to force a square in a round hole.....the other is wanting to put a peg into a hole but not having any pieces to use, so you don't even try. lol

This is probably my first “WTF” type of reaction to a hire. Not that I don’t think Pees could do good things here, but I just question the motive behind firing LeBeau only to go out and hire another coach that was going to retire. I just question the fire that a guy has honestly if he was going to retire, and then jumps back in seemingly only because it was an opportunity to get his son a job in the NFL. I’m just very unsure about this one.

11 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

This is probably my first “WTF” type of reaction to a hire. Not that I don’t think Pees could do good things here, but I just question the motive behind firing LeBeau only to go out and hire another coach that was going to retire. I just question the fire that a guy has honestly if he was going to retire, and then jumps back in seemingly only because it was an opportunity to get his son a job in the NFL. I’m just very unsure about this one.

I honestly just don't think he was going to retire, as much as he was quietly fired and the Ravens were willing to let him ride off into the sunset rather than actively terminating him.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I honestly just don't think he was going to retire, as much as he was quietly fired and the Ravens were willing to let him ride off into the sunset rather than actively terminating him.

if that's true, it seems weird that he would tell his players he was retiring *before* the final game of the season

21 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

is "trying to do something with pieces that aren't there" not literally the reason we just torched our entire coaching staff

I don’t think anyone gives 2 sh*ts about what ol kneecapper Pollard has to say. Unless he was dishing out head shots or blowing up knees he was never the most tactically astute player. 

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

if that's true, it seems weird that he would tell his players he was retiring *before* the final game of the season

I'm sure that there was some sort of agreement. He's approaching 70, I doubt he thought he was going to get another DC job and probably didn't want to go through the interview process involved with chasing jobs. Calling it a retirement makes it easier to go with the win one for the gipper approach than if you tell your players that you're no longer wanted.

30 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

Don’t worry bout Pollard me & him argued on Twitter during the year, he shares up & down adoree sucks & cant cover anybody. We missing 3 key pieces on defense & we're ready to roll jack 

I agree with Pollard we are a few pieces away. Adoree could get better but Cyprien scares me at Safety. Also the LB need is obvious and a big need right now probably the biggest need on defense. Also I know they can probably get Dequan Jones back on the cheap and he was playing great when he got hurt but we still need a really good pass rusher on the actual D-Line that can get to the QB so we don’t always have to just depend on Rak Morgan and maybe Walden if brought back

I also think this is a placeholder type hire.  
I don't think I can get the guy I really want, either because he is on a staff somewhere or he isn't ready. So let me get someone to hold the ship together for a season or two, before I can get the guy I am in love with.

As people have routinely said about staff hires, your first staff won't/shouldn't be your only staff. You should be making adjustments or changes systematically.  
Again, I think this was is a placeholder hire. A respectable DC, who knows what he is doing and will implement my vision. I hire him and not really worry about what he is doing. 

25 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I'm sure that there was some sort of agreement. He's approaching 70, I doubt he thought he was going to get another DC job and probably didn't want to go through the interview process involved with chasing jobs. Calling it a retirement makes it easier to go with the win one for the gipper approach than if you tell your players that you're no longer wanted.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but the timing just doesn’t add up for me. “Hey Dean, we’re not happy with the job you’ve done and we’re going to replace you in the off-season. But put that thought out of your mind for now and let’s go beat the Bengals and make a run in the playoffs!”  Or do we think John harbaugh hovered around pees as the final seconds ticked away, then yelled “You’re fired!” right as the clock hit zero? 

I mean, I get that sometimes a firing is cloaked in language to save face but that doesn’t seem to be plausible here. I think he wanted to call it quits and the excitement of a new challenge and working with an old friend (as well as his son) changed his mind. Maybe I’m naive. 

If he wanted to retire so badly that he knew it as the game was over, I just don't see him coming back this easily for someone he knew 10 years ago. Unless they stay connected in some way we don't know about?

BAL journalists on Twitter are now guessing he was forced to retire since he came back.

Either way, that part doesn't matter now. Hopefully he can bring those 34 turnovers to Nashville.

Archived