So.... the Super Bowl. Are you more or less excited about this matchup?

CKS97

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

im curious to see how brady handles long/cox amd some of those other parts. weve seen that the key to beating the pats is constant penatration and getting after brady,  not sure if it will be enough this time around.

Wow! This game will get a rise out of me!

39 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Literally going to have to #hatewatch this SB. I would've loved a Jax/Vikes SB, b/c then it would've been more entertaining and I wouldn't have cared who won. 

More entertaining is a stretch? Two Teams you didn't hate Thai, absolutely. This is like the SB version of the latest Presidential Election for some, I get it.

Don't necessarily agree but I understand the Bias for "some". 

5 minutes ago, MathMan said:
19 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:
2 hours ago, MathMan said:

I think the Eagles win handily.  And I am rarely wrong.

I agree....but I'm always wrong. 

And I'm lying. I'm always wrong too.

(My playoff picks were the worst possible)

Reverse your reverse psychology. I'm good with that. Carry on!

Just now, Pats#1 said:
12 minutes ago, MathMan said:

And I'm lying. I'm always wrong too.

(My playoff picks were the worst possible)

I knew you were lying, so I lied to nullify your lie.

(I feel light headed)

Oh, I previously didn't know that you knew I was lying, but now I know that you knew I was lying, and you also know that I now know that you knew I was lying.

20 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

There's the same amount at stake for each team. You play to win the Super Bowl.

Another Super Bowl for the Pats just makes Brady and Belichick even more untouchable in terms of salary cap era/free agency era greatness. Plus, this is likely their last Super Bowl before they retire - I'm assuming some downturn next year with new coordinators.

A Super Bowl win for Philadelphia would mean a lot to them obviously but they also have a bigger window with a young franchise QB and a (fairly) young head coach.

In terms of what's at stake for the fan base, yeah your argument makes some sense. It probably means more on some level to a Eagles fan to see a win than a Pats fan. But for a lot of Pats fans (Especially ones who aren't college aged or younger), this could be the last one you ever see. Once the Belichick window closes, a Super Bowl appearance once every 15 years will probably be more likely than multiple more in a lifetime.

I really can't unerstand Pats fans who are getting so nonchalant about winning. Once this is gone, it's gone. And #5 didn't mean any less (or more) to me than #1-4.

I'm saying this from a fan's perspective. Obviously for the players - particularly those who are new to the Patriots - it's different.

But for me, as a fan, it feels like winning this Super Bowl would mean considerably less than the other five, just based on what the other five represented individually in terms of legacy-building.

XXXVI was the impossible dream - winning the first championship in franchise history with an anonymous group nobody expected against a powerhouse.

XXXVIII validated that first championship by proving it wasn't a fluke achieved on the back of a lucky call based on a dubious rule.

XXXIX cemented the dynasty.

Then there was the 10-year drought with two near-misses and a cheating scandal that cast the first three into doubt for a lot of people.

XLIX erased any questions that existed about the core of the team post-Spygate. It's silly that those questions existed in the first place, but this win reminded the world of how great Belichick and Brady really are.

LI was just pure catharsis, coming back from 25 down and winning an unprecedented 5th title for a coach/QB combo.

If they win LII, I'm not sure what it'll uniquely represent, to be honest. Yeah, getting 6 Super Bowl titles would mean tying them for the most ever by a franchise, but they already have far and away the most by a single regime. And winning against a team playing its backup QB is always going to feel diminished on some level.

I'm not saying I feel indifferent to winning this one but it just wouldn't resonate the same way the first 5 did.

54 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'm saying this from a fan's perspective. Obviously for the players - particularly those who are new to the Patriots - it's different.

But for me, as a fan, it feels like winning this Super Bowl would mean considerably less than the other five, just based on what the other five represented individually in terms of legacy-building.

XXXVI was the impossible dream - winning the first championship in franchise history with an anonymous group nobody expected against a powerhouse.

XXXVIII validated that first championship by proving it wasn't a fluke achieved on the back of a lucky call based on a dubious rule.

XXXIX cemented the dynasty.

Then there was the 10-year drought with two near-misses and a cheating scandal that cast the first three into doubt for a lot of people.

XLIX erased any questions that existed about the core of the team post-Spygate. It's silly that those questions existed in the first place, but this win reminded the world of how great Belichick and Brady really are.

LI was just pure catharsis, coming back from 25 down and winning an unprecedented 5th title for a coach/QB combo.

If they win LII, I'm not sure what it'll uniquely represent, to be honest. Yeah, getting 6 Super Bowl titles would mean tying them for the most ever by a franchise, but they already have far and away the most by a single regime. And winning against a team playing its backup QB is always going to feel diminished on some level.

I'm not saying I feel indifferent to winning this one but it just wouldn't resonate the same way the first 5 did.

Uhhhhh..... 

-Patriots tie the Steelers for most Super Bowl championships of all time

-Belichick breaks a tie with Halas and Lombardi for most overall championships

-Brady becomes the first QB to win the Super Bowl at the age of 40, possibly being the first in nearly 20 years to win the SB after wining the league MVP and the first to win it being the leading passer in the league. Oh and first Madden Curse player to win the Super Bowl, not that it's terribly important.... Oh and he becomes the ONLY player to win 6 Super Bowls and breaks a tie with Charles Haley

I really don't get what your point is. The Patriots winning this particular game has about as much if not more historical significance than possibly any game in the history of the league.

For the Eagles, this game is about as just as relevant as Super Bowl 51 was for the Falcons, Super Bowl 50 and 38 were for the Panthers,   Super Bowl 48 was for the Seahawks, Super Bowl 44 was for the Saints, and Super Bowl 43 was for the Cardinals... 

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Uhhhhh..... 

-Brady becomes the first QB to win the Super Bowl at the age of 40, possibly being the first in nearly 20 years to win the SB after wining the league MVP and the first to win it being the leading passer in the league. Oh and first Madden Curse player to win the Super Bowl, not that it's terribly important.... Oh and he becomes the ONLY player to win 6 Super Bowls and breaks a tie with Charles Haley

Yeah, none of these seem particularly noteworthy to me, honestly. The Halas and Lombardi thing is nice but those guys did most of their winning when there were 10-14 teams in the league. 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Uhhhhh..... 

I really don't get what your point is. The Patriots winning this particular game has about as much if not more historical significance than possibly any game in the history of the league.

For the Eagles, this game is about as just as relevant as Super Bowl 51 was for the Falcons, Super Bowl 50 and 38 were for the Panthers,   Super Bowl 48 was for the Seahawks, Super Bowl 44 was for the Saints, and Super Bowl 43 was for the Cardinals... 

giphy.gif

Archived