So.... the Super Bowl. Are you more or less excited about this matchup?

CKS97

15 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Same people/things were said about the other two as well. Eagles have no shot! Not rocket science. One could also say the Eagles aren't the Jags or Titans either if that's the reasoning you want to take.

I mean, the Patriots have a proven track record winning Super Bowls.  It's not nearly the same situation.  People saying the Eagles have no chance to beat the Falcons.... The Pats are clearly the superior team, so why does what anyone think of the Falcons even matter?

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

If Wentz was playing I would be excited, but BB getting 2 weeks to game plan for Nick Foles is just laughable. Hoping for good commercials and to hit my box pool, but the actual game I don't see being interesting. 34-17 Pats.

I think people are focusing too much on Nick Foles.  The Eagles are a great TEAM.  They have amazing talent and have guys that preform at a very high level in nearly all phases of their team that support Nick Foles.  The Eagles have a great freaking defense... a defense that has been consistently great all season long.  The offensive talent around the QB is excellent.

I'm going to be interested to see what BB takes away from the Eagles offense.  We all know he is the best at removing what an opponent does best/their best player, but I think it'll be fascinating to see what he thinks the Eagles do best.

They've got some very good runners and you could say that without Wentz, that is what they do best.  That said, under Foles, they've won with more short passing against ATL and with long passing as we saw against Minny.  Plus, there's just not as much recent film on Foles as other QBs they've faced and it seems like Foles does something a bit different every week.

So what does BB take away first?  How effective is that?  How do they adjust midgame?  Or does BB decide that he should take away a player like Ertz instead?

I'm looking forward to seeing how NE approaches this game defensively.

I don't really care about this upcoming Super Bowl TBH. Brady is about to get another ring and cement himself as probably the greatest ever in this sport for the duration of "Football" as we know it, and the Eagles are trotting out a backup QB who will probably try really really hard but come up short.

In the end... I feel like this is going to be the most predictable / boring Super Bowl that we've had in quite some time. If Wentz was not injured and playing, I think it would be interesting and exciting.

But there's simply no chance Foles replicates his success. Eagles used up all their good juju on the NFC Championship game.

27-12 Patriots over Eagles.

26 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm going to be interested to see what BB takes away from the Eagles offense.  We all know he is the best at removing what an opponent does best/their best player, but I think it'll be fascinating to see what he thinks the Eagles do best.

They've got some very good runners and you could say that without Wentz, that is what they do best.  That said, under Foles, they've won with more short passing against ATL and with long passing as we saw against Minny.  Plus, there's just not as much recent film on Foles as other QBs they've faced and it seems like Foles does something a bit different every week.

So what does BB take away first?  How effective is that?  How do they adjust midgame?  Or does BB decide that he should take away a player like Ertz instead?

My guess for this matchup will be instead of trying to remove a certain player, they'll focus on muddling the key offensive reads in certain concepts; RPO's to be exact. The Eagles destroyed the Vikings with these concepts.

For example: a 4-3 defense is often defined by the alignment of the 3-tech according to the offensive formation strength: Over - he aligns to the formation's strongside, Under - he aligns to the fornation's weakside.

In this case, a good way to defend some RPO's is to set your 3 tech to the fieldside (widest part of the field from the hash) with two overhang defenders. The reasoning for the 3tech alignment to the fieldside is that it gives the fieldside overhang defender (who is often the conflict defender) slightly more time to read w/ out having to overreact to the run or pass option. If that conflict defender stays put and doesn't press or drop, then the QB doesn't have a proper key read on what to do with the ball. Then play either  Cover 9, 9 Rat, or 0 in the secondary. These coverages along with the front alignment described, clouds a QB's key reads in determining his run/pass option, allowing the LB's to play the run if given, while also providing underneath coverage to take away the interior routes that are often used in RPO's.

36 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The thing I love the most about this Philly team is how multi-dimensional we are. Our offense isnt reliant on any single player and we can attack different ways. Im curious too what BB will take away. 

17 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

My guess for this matchup will be instead of trying to remove a certain player, they'll focus on muddling the key offensive reads in certain concepts; RPO's to be exact. The Eagles destroyed the Vikings with these concepts.

For example: a 4-3 defense is often defined by the alignment of the 3-tech according to the offensive formation strength: Over - he aligns to the formation's strongside, Under - he aligns to the fornation's weakside.

In this case, a good way to defend some RPO's is to set your 3 tech to the fieldside (widest part of the field from the hash) with two overhang defenders. The reasoning for the 3tech alignment to the fieldside is that it gives the fieldside overhang defender (who is often the conflict defender) slightly more time to read w/ out having to overreact to the run or pass option. If that conflict defender stays put and doesn't press or drop, then the QB doesn't have a proper key read on what to do with the ball. Then play either  Cover 9, 9 Rat, or 0 in the secondary. These coverages along with the front alignment described, clouds a QB's key reads in determining his run/pass option, allowing the LB's to play the run if given, while also providing underneath coverage to take away the interior routes that are often used in RPO's.

That's a really interesting take and it would make a lot of sense.  Remove the RPO and make them line up with less misdirection.  It'd be much easier on the defense if nothing else.

3 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

The thing I love the most about this Philly team is how multi-dimensional we are. Our offense isnt reliant on any single player and we can attack different ways. Im curious too what BB will take away. 

It makes them very dangerous.  Should be a fun watch.

I actually think this game is going to be really close.  The Eagles have the type of defense that can give any team a lot of problems.  They have an outstanding pass rush and I really like their secondary as a unit.

To me one of the biggest keys in this game is going to be the Eagles coaching staff.  We have seen time and time again over the past 18 years that coach Belichick is one of the greatest coaches ever, in any sport, at making mid-game adjustments.  It's going to be extremely interesting to see how the Eagles coaching staff adjust to the Patriots mid-game adjustments once the Patriots figure out how to counter the Eagles initial game plan.

EDIT:  That last sentence was kind of mouth full haha.

Archived