So.... the Super Bowl. Are you more or less excited about this matchup?

CKS97

I don't see how you couldn't be excited for this matchup after watching the NFCC game, from a football perspective. Obviously if you hate both teams, that's a different story.

If the Eagles stumbled into the SB after winning a close, sloppy game, then I'd understand people having reservations for this game, but the Eagles just decimated the Vikings and looked every bit the part of a top tier team. This team went 13-3, and were SB favorites for much of the season for a reason. While poor play from the QB position after excellent play, which is what we were dealing with for about 3 weeks following the Wentz injury, can derail even a great team, we just got excellent play from the QB position again. If Foles can even be average in the SB, it should be a good contest.

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

The whole Philly "underdog" masks thing exemplifies one thing that drives me nuts about the NFL, and American sports in general: Teams are obsessed with trying to find ways they have been "disrespected". Players and teams are constantly trying to construct narratives where they are somehow being counted out.

It's so fake, because players are all over twitter talking about "no1 believes in us but us", and "hey man we been doubted all year"....even when it's not true. Every damn team wants to make themselves Rocky, without ever admitting how much they relish it. They WANT to be insulted, they WANT to be the underdog. Being the underdog is easy, it's luxurious, because you can't fail. Either you lose, and you tried your hardest against impossible odds, or you win and you're the hero of a David vs. Goliath story.

I would much rather go into a game feeling like the Pats were expected to lose, than have the constant "Oh the Patriots are going to destroy X this weekend."

I can see what you mean, but you mentioned the Eagles specifically, and how is it fake? They literally were counted out and disrespected. Not just by the media, but even fans. When you're coming off a 13-3 season, number 1 seed in the conference, and there is 0 SB buzz, all because of 1 player, that's as disrespectful as it gets.

First #1 seed to EVER be underdogs in the divisional round, home underdogs again in the NFCCG, and now the biggest home underdogs in the SB since 09. There's no need to spin a narrative in this case, the reality is that this team, w/out Carson Wentz, are true underdogs. Of course the players, coaches, and fans are going to embrace that, and yeah, for many of the reasons you mentioned.

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I can see what you mean, but you mentioned the Eagles specifically, and how is it fake? They literally were counted out and disrespected. Not just by the media, but even fans. When you're coming off a 13-3 season, number 1 seed in the conference, and there is 0 SB buzz, all because of 1 player, that's as disrespectful as it gets.

First #1 seed to EVER be underdogs in the divisional round, home underdogs again in the NFCCG, and now the biggest home underdogs in the SB since 09. There's no need to spin a narrative in this case, the reality is that this team, w/out Carson Wentz, are true underdogs. Of course the players, coaches, and fans are going to embrace that, and yeah, for many of the reasons you mentioned.

I didn't mean to single out the Eagles especially, most teams do it.

The disrespect isn't fake, what's fake is the idea that:

a) it was unreasonable to assume a team that lost its QB would lose.

and b) that players and coaches mind being picked to lose.

Taking umbridge at a perfectly logical opinion, and then using that false-offense as motivation is not the same as actually being offended.

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I didn't mean to single out the Eagles especially, most teams do it.

The disrespect isn't fake, what's fake is the idea that:

a) it was unreasonable to assume a team that lost its QB would lose.

and b) that players and coaches mind being picked to lose.

Taking umbridge at a perfectly logical opinion, and then using that false-offense as motivation is not the same as actually being offended.

There is a difference between being offended and having a chip on your shoulder. Creating a “us vs the world” mentality can help bond individuals together and motivate them to achieve a goal. Just cause you don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t effective. Logic isn’t the only thing that matters to humans, emotions and psychology are important as well. 

Tom Brady is basically a Minnesotan thanks to his mom. Seeing Eagles fans arrested on the streets and Tom Brady starting a collection for his other hand should be pretty fun. Won't watch the entire thing though. Gotta work the next day and we have yet to find a president willing to make the day after the Super Bowl a National Holiday.

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Tom Brady is basically a Minnesotan thanks to his mom. Seeing Eagles fans arrested on the streets and Tom Brady starting a collection for his other hand should be pretty fun. Won't watch the entire thing though. Gotta work the next day and we have yet to find a president willing to make the day after the Super Bowl a National Holiday.

Pats fans are happy to accept any and all Vikes fans into the evil empire for a limited time in the "everyone wants us to lose" sweepstakes. 

The Eagles have gotten disrespected by many since Carson Wentz went down, but this team is really good.  I can see them giving the Patriots problems, but the Patriots are the Patriots and Tom Brady is the best ever.  Eagles definitely have a chance, but they are the underdogs and they should be.  

If this game comes down to the wire, I'm taking the Pats because they play the best and most consistent situational football probably ever.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

There is a difference between being offended and having a chip on your shoulder. Creating a “us vs the world” mentality can help bond individuals together and motivate them to achieve a goal. Just cause you don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t effective. Logic isn’t the only thing that matters to humans, emotions and psychology are important as well. 

I didn't say it wasn't effective, I said it was fake.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

There's no team in the league that has a bigger 'us vs the world' mentality than the Patriots, probably.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Fun fact: The day after the Super Bowl is a national holiday here in Mexico (at least most years)

Archived