2018 Green Bay Packers Coaching Staff

{Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, tttmikeb said:

Agreed.  But could this setup lead to awkward situations and conflicts where the passing game coordinator gets overruled by the offensive coordinator?  Or maybe the passing game coordinator and the running game coordinator have different visions for a gameplan and the offensive coordinator has to pick sides?  Maybe that sounds petty for grown men, but it feels like they're setting themselves up for conflict by handing out too many higher-ranking titles that may or may not mean anything. 

Sorta like this:

assistant-to-the-regional-manager.jpg regional-director-in-charge-of-sales.jpg

I'm not worried about it and not overthinking potentials. They're all adults. Professionals. Capable. I think they'll figure "Admin" things it out. I'm more interested in their football minds and coaching abilities - not, who's gonna take up what seat at the table.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I'm not worried about it and not overthinking potentials. They're all adults. Professionals. Capable. I think they'll figure "Admin" things it out. I'm more interested in their football minds and coaching abilities - not, who's gonna take up what seat at the table.

I hope you're right.  And I like what I'm hearing so far in the press conference (and by hearing, I mean reading Delta's posts here).  Still seems odd to me, but time will tell if it works.

Pettine gave a real good interview. He comes over as a straightforward guy and smart. He answered all questions well. Didn't duck out when asked a question about a specific player (Clay Matthews). Most interesting was that he viewed the playbook as less important than many might think. He is a fundamentals guy (you can bet he is on the same page as MM with that) and says his defense has the illusion of complexity, but is not as complicated as things used to be in the past (and he explained why that was the case). Best of all, is that if Pettine works well in Green Bay (and I think there is a very good chance he will), he has zero aspirations to be a head coach again. He likes the interactions with players, the chess game of matchups - he said that a coordinator is 90% football, 10% management, while a head coach is the exact opposite, and he found that he did not like that at all, when he was HC.

Philbin was good as well. We already know he is a sharp guy at gameplans and adjustments. I like his idea of his job description (when it gets beyond the obvious "win championships") where he says "its my job to Make Mike McCarthy look like the smartest head coach in the league". Also implied is that the the positional coaches under him should be making him look good by doing a good job themselves, which allows him to focus more on making MM look good.

~Also worth adding is the comment by MM that the energy level in the building was through the roof. I was hoping such sweeping changes would re-energise the staff.........it looks like it has done exactly that.

32 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

~Also worth adding is the comment by MM that the energy level in the building was through the roof. I was hoping such sweeping changes would re-energise the staff.........it looks like it has done exactly that.

Just awesome hearing about all this renewed enthusiasm and energy and even better hearing it from the head coach himself.

The franchise really became a staid, uninspired outfit over the past several seasons.

Credit to McCarthy and Murphy for (finally) recognizing that reality and taking the steps necessary to improve the franchise by getting rid of a lot of dead weight this offseason.

53 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I like Pettine. I feel at the very least this group will now play with emotion. And there is hope that it will be simple enough and adjustments will be made if a guy goes down.

He was impressive in that press conference .. hope it works out well.  I found it interesting when he said he has a good feel for the talent on hand after studying a large chunk of the Packers 2016 game films in preparation for Seattle's opening week matchup against the Packers this past season.

When MM gave up the playcalling, the plan was for him to be able to step back and overlook the entire offence, defence and special teams departments instead of spending most of his time focusing on just one side of the ball. It didn't work out as he took back the playcalling and had to hastily rearrange the departmental responsibilities forcing him to go back to focusing on one side of the ball again. This rearrangement caused Clements to walk away and Bennett was ill suited for additional coordinator responsibilities. He couldn't go around firing people because of his mistake. The coaches were under contract and they have families to worry about so in that respect MM basically maintained the status quo for a couple of seasons. This off-season finally gave him the opportunity to tidy up that structure.

I believe the new structure will allow McCarthy to go back to overlooking all three departments but this time also retain the playcalling. Philbin essentially will be trusted to run the entire offensive department and game planning himself so he will be taking on some of MM responsibilities. In turn he will be delegating the X and O's responsibilities to the pass and run game coordinators. This in my mind explains why we are seeing pass/run coordinators in our coaching staff now. This is the evolution of the structure he had in place when he had Clements as AHC/Offense and Bennett as coordinator, the only difference now is that Bennett's role has been divided into two, pass and run coordinators.

He clearly decided to have the same structure for the defence. Pettine overlooking the entire department with the game planning and playcalling responsibilities and with Whitt and Graham handling the X and O's and communication. Whilst unlikely. it's possible that their job titles is just simply "window dressing" that reflects the higher salaries they're are on and that Whitt is actually just a defensive backs coach and Graham is an inside linebacker coach. I suspect it is the former so Pettine is actually working under a slightly different structure than what he is used to. Hopefully it doesn't prevent Pettine from implementing his defensive system successfully.

MM overlooking three departments and also adding a line of communication to Murphy puts MM in a true management role. Very little X and O's and coaching now. He's basically Belichick but without the GM title.

I've never viewed titles as a major talking point. At the end of the day, its a bunch of guys with job responsibilities in a room trying to make the team better. If everyone is put in a position to succeed, there is almost no need for a chain of command on a daily basis. Very loosely speaking, chain of command and job titles most come into play if things aren't working well. No different than most of us average Joes if you know what I mean

Archived