Saquan number 1 pick

cattleman78

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Saban is damn good with DBs, but what they teach at Bama is technique that doesnt work in the NFL. I remember reading a story about how Saban teaches corners to move their feet and turn their hips differently compared to your more traditional way. It has works for his college scheme. When it comes to the NFL and they are being taught the more traditional way because it works better for multiple/different coverages, its hard for the DBs to adjust. Bama has produced some decent talent but when you are drafting an outside corner in the 1st, you dont want him to be decent. 

None of that really applies to Minkah, he’s a safety either way.

42 minutes ago, buno67 said:

How much trust do you have taking a DB and making him a starting outside corner, when he barely played the position in college. I wouldnt like that all. Specially when the technique taught at bama rarely translates to the NFL. I think going back at least close to 10years, I think Bama has only produce one legit NFL corner, the rest have bombed. Its the one defensive position they dont produce.

Thats the key word, if someone uses him properly. He is a great athlete but I am not a fan of players who are the masters of nothing. Well rounded player but not really great at one position. Browns took a player like that in Peppers last year. I know he wasnt use properly but when he was in position, he didnt make that many plays. Hoping it was just growing pains and playing at one full time position helps him grow in year two.

I rather take the players whole are already said to be elite type corner prospects like Ward and Jackson.

I personally never said I want him as a corner. I want him as some type of safety. 

Btw Fitzpatrick is one of those rare times I’ll be paying attention to the combine. I’ll actually be interested in watching him in safety drills. 

14 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I personally never said I want him as a corner. I want him as some type of safety. 

Btw Fitzpatrick is one of those rare times I’ll be paying attention to the combine. I’ll actually be interested in watching him in safety drills. 

I pay attention every year.

OL in compression shorts >>>> 

If someone told me now that we would get  Jared Goff and Todd Gurley production as a package deal with #1 and #4, I'd bite their hand off.

I loved Goff as a prospect, and was a big fan of Gurley too. What's crazy is that I'm actually higher on Darnold than Goff and higher on Barkley than Gurley.

That tells you exactly what I'm hoping for from our first two picks.

My two big remaining questions with Barkley:

1. How much is he going to be Ladanian Tomlinson vs. LeSean McCoy? Both great backs, but (imo) one you take top 5 and laugh on your way to the bank, the other you take mid-late first and feel satisfied. I could see him going either way depending on his development within the tackles and in pass blocking (I didn't totally agree with Kollman on that specific point, though obviously he knows a lot more than me and has watched more of Barkley I'd assume).

2. How much of a gap is there between Barkley and Jones/Guice/Michel? I think the draft process so far has been so focused on Barkley that we haven't really dug down into the other RBs as much as we have on Barkley. And, at least personally, I think there might be less gap (especially Jones/Guice) than we realize.

Those two questions basically define whether I'd be excited about him top 5, okay with him top 5, or slightly put off about it top 5.

43 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

My two big remaining questions with Barkley:

1. How much is he going to be Ladanian Tomlinson vs. LeSean McCoy? Both great backs, but (imo) one you take top 5 and laugh on your way to the bank, the other you take mid-late first and feel satisfied. I could see him going either way depending on his development within the tackles and in pass blocking (I didn't totally agree with Kollman on that specific point, though obviously he knows a lot more than me and has watched more of Barkley I'd assume).

2. How much of a gap is there between Barkley and Jones/Guice/Michel? I think the draft process so far has been so focused on Barkley that we haven't really dug down into the other RBs as much as we have on Barkley. And, at least personally, I think there might be less gap (especially Jones/Guice) than we realize.

Those two questions basically define whether I'd be excited about him top 5, okay with him top 5, or slightly put off about it top 5.

I agree with a lot of that. I'm interested to see his Combine showing. I'd like to see if he's as freaky an athlete as he comes across on the field.

I've seen a lot of Jones, having watched every USC game over the last two years. I haven't seen a great deal of Guice, just th odd TV game we got of LSU and highlights. As much as I like RoJo, I think there's a big gap between him and Barkley. Jones is electric in his own right when he hits the open field, but he runs upright and without a ton of power; I'm not sure if that's going to be a problem in the pros. I think he'll be good but the Jamaal Charles comp, though I see it a bit, might be a bit too far. As I say, I haven't seen as much of Guice but from what I have, I'm bamboozled by those that compare him to Barkley and say there's not much in it. I see a strong runner with a violent mentality, but little in terms of elite quicks and athleticism.

Barkley is in a league of his own in my opinion. His acceleration out of cuts, his lateral quickness and his overall control of his body and making it do what he wants it to do is at a level I haven't seen in a RB prospect for a while.

I too have some questions regarding his power in between the tackles, but it's hard to judge that in the context of his o-line and the read option factor that contributed to a lot of stuffed runs before he even had a chance. Sometimes I also think he is too fast for his own good and it almost overpowers his ability to stay up on contact. I'd like to have seen more instances of sheer power and lowering the shoulder through tackles within the box, but you have to take what you get when watching Saquon. He's so outrageous with his quicks and getting into the open field that he almost doesn't even get touched enough to have to display that aspect of his game. But by no means do I think he's a McCaffrey/Bush type back.

I think your comparison of LT/LeSean is a very good one in that regard. Both great backs and both offering more complete qualities than CMac/Bush. Then it's just a matter of is he LT, an unreal dual threat back with the power to work inside just as well as outside, or McCoy, who shares many of those same qualities but a bit watered down.

3 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I'm interested to see his Combine showing. I'd like to see if he's as freaky an athlete as he comes across on the field.

Yeah I don't think the combine will say much either way. He will have special quickness and great long speed in the NFL, that seems fairly obvious watching him play in actual games. The difference between whether a special back is worth a top pick is whether or not they refuse to go down. RBs that accept being tackled aren't worth the top pick. It is what separates LeVeon Bell, Alvin Kamara and David Johnson from Lamar Miller, Ameer Abdullah and Mark Ingram. Some of it is balance but a lot of it is just willing themselves to stay up. That said, I don't really know where Barley stands in that regard, from what I've seen in actual games I haven't seen it from him. He could still be a Todd Gurley with his skills but I think Gurley is a little overrated I'd take Kamara over him without blinking. That dude fights for everything.

31 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I don't think the combine will say much either way. He will have special quickness and great long speed in the NFL, that seems fairly obvious watching him play in actual games. The difference between whether a special back is worth a top pick is whether or not they refuse to go down. RBs that accept being tackled aren't worth the top pick. It is what separates LeVeon Bell, Alvin Kamara and David Johnson from Lamar Miller, Ameer Abdullah and Mark Ingram. Some of it is balance but a lot of it is just willing themselves to stay up. That said, I don't really know where Barley stands in that regard, from what I've seen in actual games I haven't seen it from him. He could still be a Todd Gurley with his skills but I think Gurley is a little overrated I'd take Kamara over him without blinking. That dude fights for everything.

I dont know, it be hard for me to take Kamara over Gurley. Dude just produced a 2000 all-purpose yard offense and made his QB and WRs look top tier. Kamara looked like the best freaking complimentary piece to go with Brees, Ingram, and Thomas. You can make Gurley your true feature back, Im still not sure you can do that with Kamara.

Like one of the best games to watch on Barkley is the Iowa game. touched the ball 40x and still showed no slowing down. Dude was doing it all and wasnt getting tired or slowing down 

I cant find anything that talks about this past season but his '16 season he did lead the nation in broken tackles. He has 60 broken tackles vs power 5 opponents. Next close was 51. Other backs like Guice had 42.  

I think the only reason why we might take Barkley at 4 (after, hopefully, taken the right QBOTF at 1) is if Dorsey is too influenced by this "we have to win now" thing, which will be a shame.

Sashi set this up so that only a complete idiot can fail.

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

I think the only reason why we might take Barkley at 4 (after, hopefully, taken the right QBOTF at 1) is if Dorsey is too influenced by this "we have to win now" thing, which will be a shame.

Sashi set this up so that only a complete idiot can fail.

I disagree on this one. I think we would take Barkley at 4 because he is the best player in the draft (alongside Nelson).

An idiot would take Barkley at 1. As long as we don't do that, we should be okay!

"IF" we want a QB at 4, and take Barkley at 1 and then a Qb at 4, I might just go unibomber on the stadium. 

So to get a RB we run the enormous risk of getting our 3rd ranked QB at pick 4, rather than take our top QB and probably still be able to get Barkley at 4?   no.  no.  no.

Even if Barkley went before pick 4, I much rather have our top QB prospect and then our second rated non-QB prospect rather than barkley and NOT our top QB prospect.  Just crazy if anyone wants to do that. 

Some people have mentioned ranking three Qbs the same.  Yeah, fire everyone now if that is true.  I guarantee that isn't true though.  That has probably never been true in the history of ever. 

Archived