Saquan number 1 pick

cattleman78

Pen State fan here. A lot of the reason people think that his vision isn't the greatest is because of the running plays the coaches called and the poor offensive line. 90% of the handoffs were QB options, where Saquon had to pause for a second before getting the ball. That allowed a lot of gaps to close and him to bounce it outside.

When he did get a straight handoff, he looked great.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:36 PM, Bonanza23 said:

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-evaluating-beauty-saquon-barkleys-game-without-ignoring-warts/

If I had as much time to write novels as some in here this would be the article I’d write about Barkley. I’m crap at articulating my thoughts. One reason I miss @ditchdigger as he always completed my thoughts :(  anywho

Good article but I think he is being a little bias with the cut ups he was showing. biggest one was the tOSU one. Talking about how he  Should have zero hesitation. You cant judge it on one play but gotta remember the context of the play and the game. Barkley got completely taken out of that tOSU game because that DL completely destroyed PSU's OL. When he wasnt getting any help what so ever from his OL and he sees Bosa is in the tackles hip and shoves the blocking TE right into the backfield literally moments right after getting the hand off and squaring to the line. Yeah its going to cause issues.

I truly would love to see Barkley in a legit power running scheme. Get him the hell out of a read option attack. PSU did him no favors with the scheme they were running this past season. 

As good as he is, I have no idea why people are mocking him to the Giants at 2, let alone the Browns at 1.

QB is everything. The Giants would be completely mental to pass on Josh Rosen for a RB, even a brilliant one like Saquon. When all they have at the position is a consistently declining 37 year Eli.

23 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

As good as he is, I have no idea why people are mocking him to the Giants at 2, let alone the Browns at 1.

QB is everything. The Giants would be completely mental to pass on Josh Rosen for a RB, even a brilliant one like Saquon. When all they have at the position is a consistently declining 37 year Eli.

I could see the mocking to the Browns at one cause they could easily get the franchise QB at 4, specially if they like Darnold Rosen and Baker. Giants make no sense 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I could see the mocking to the Browns at one cause they could easily get the franchise QB at 4, specially if they like Darnold Rosen and Baker. Giants make no sense 

To be honest I dislike that even more.

1. Cleveland - Barkley

2. NYG - #1 QB

3. Indy trade the pick - #2 QB

4. Cleveland - #3 QB

Even if the Browns like three QBs, they're very likely settling for the third guy. It's beyond silly to do that just for a RB.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

1. Cleveland - Barkley

2. NYG - #1 QB

4. Cleveland - #3 QB

Even if the Browns like three QBs, they're very likely settling for the third guy. It's beyond silly to do that just for a RB.

If the browns sees them as a 1a 1b 1c it’s not really settling for a guy. It might just show they have a real plan that heavily involves Barkley. If that is the case then they might actually develop a QB. 

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

1. Cleveland - Barkley

2. NYG - #1 QB

4. Cleveland - #3 QB

I find it unfathomable and more than a little disconcerting that our FO would be so meh about a QB as to be okay with whoever would fall to us in this scenario.

39 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I find it unfathomable and more than a little disconcerting that our FO would be so meh about a QB as to be okay with whoever would fall to us in this scenario.

how do we know that they are so meh about a QB. Maybe they just like the 3 top QBs the same and that they rather pair up one of those top 3 QBs with the drafts best RB/playmaker.

Im just playing devils advocate. To me, its just get your QB at #1 and let the rest of the draft come to you, dont force it

38 minutes ago, buno67 said:

how do we know that they are so meh about a QB. Maybe they just like the 3 top QBs the same and that they rather pair up one of those top 3 QBs with the drafts best RB/playmaker.

Im just playing devils advocate. To me, its just get your QB at #1 and let the rest of the draft come to you, dont force it

Does anyone like all 3 the same?

Every azz with an opinion has a preference.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Does anyone like all 3 the same?

Yeah, I just can't see this being the case. The three have such wildly different strengths and weaknesses in their games and projections that I just can't imagine someone watching all three, really getting down to the root of their individual issues/strengths, and saying, "I love all of these equally!" That would have to be a pretty darn indecisive person.

55 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yeah, I just can't see this being the case. The three have such wildly different strengths and weaknesses in their games and projections that I just can't imagine someone watching all three, really getting down to the root of their individual issues/strengths, and saying, "I love all of these equally!" That would have to be a pretty darn indecisive person.

I love everyone in this forum equally

but me the most. 

On 2/15/2018 at 6:36 PM, Bonanza23 said:

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-evaluating-beauty-saquon-barkleys-game-without-ignoring-warts/

If I had as much time to write novels as some in here this would be the article I’d write about Barkley. I’m crap at articulating my thoughts. One reason I miss @ditchdigger as he always completed my thoughts :(  anywho

Great write up, but like a lot already said it would be more interesting to see Barkley run in an NFL offense, not out of the option.  My concern with picking Barkley high is opportunity cost, I don't know if the difference between him and Michel, Guice, or another back that we can still select pretty high but not #1/#4 is as great as letting Minkah, Chubb, our top QB or another top prospect at a different position go past us.  I mean if not getting an absolute stud somewhere in our secondary means we are playing off coverage all season again that will hurt us more than not having a top 10 RB.

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

Great write up, but like a lot already said it would be more interesting to see Barkley run in an NFL offense, not out of the option.  My concern with picking Barkley high is opportunity cost, I don't know if the difference between him and Michel, Guice, or another back that we can still select pretty high but not #1/#4 is as great as letting Minkah, Chubb, our top QB or another top prospect at a different position go past us.  I mean if not getting an absolute stud somewhere in our secondary means we are playing off coverage all season again that will hurt us more than not having a top 10 RB.

If there was an elite CB or something in the draft, then I say you take him over Barkley. I wouldn't hate drafting Chubb or Fitzpatrick, but I'd rather have Barkley. While I firmly believe we need another pass rusher, I don't see it as being a first round (let alone top five) need. Garrett and Ogbah seem to be set as the starters there. If Williams thinks he can utilize Fitzpatrick well in our defense, then I'll be fine with him.

Like I've said numerous times, I'm usually against selecting a RB that high. But there's no other players worthy of being the fourth pick of the draft that actually fits a need of ours, IMO.

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

If there was an elite CB or something in the draft, then I say you take him over Barkley. I wouldn't hate drafting Chubb or Fitzpatrick, but I'd rather have Barkley. While I firmly believe we need another pass rusher, I don't see it as being a first round (let alone top five) need. Garrett and Ogbah seem to be set as the starters there. If Williams thinks he can utilize Fitzpatrick well in our defense, then I'll be fine with him.

Like I've said numerous times, I'm usually against selecting a RB that high. But there's no other players worthy of being the fourth pick of the draft that actually fits a need of ours, IMO.

Yeah this is where my lack of research on prospects comes in.  I'm operating under the assumption that Minkah is an elite CB prospect that's a bit better than the next up by watching a couple Alabama games and looking at mock drafts.  So my opinion isn't really worth that much here, but watching every Browns game I'd say secondary is definitely a need more than RB.

As well as Chubb, if he's going to be a great DE, I'd rather have him for Ogbah/Garrett injury insurance and to establish a rotation than a highly rated RB.  Backups play along the d-line a lot so it's important to be deep there.  But I'm not going to be upset if we pick Barkley, just have some skepticism that was the right move until I see what happens.

Archived