Saquan number 1 pick

cattleman78

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

EXACTLY 

Just think  if we're watching Sam Darnold play and we're thinking , "wow man this guy has it all, but man our running game isn't helping him out... Wish we had a stud running back to take some of the load off of this young guy." We've got the opportunity to get that this year. 

I cant pass on Saquon at 4. 

Remember, got nothin but love for ya, but... We could also be saying, My, Im sure glad we drafted Guice late in the 1st instead of Barkley top 5, especially since their production is pretty dam simular, and Chubb, who we drafted at 4, is killing RTs-OGs, and second on the team in sacks(obviously, Myles is first) Dodged a bullet there!

4 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Remember, got nothin but love for ya, but... We could also be saying, My, Im sure glad we drafted Guice late in the 1st instead of Barkley top 5, especially since their production is pretty dam simular, and Chubb, who we drafted at 4, is killing RTs-OGs, and second on the team in sacks(obviously, Myles is first) Dodged a bullet there!

Or we could be saying:

Man, to think we could have had Barkley instead of this 2nd or 3rd round bum our idiots in the FO stubbornly drafted to prove how smart they were.

OR 

I can’t believe these morons drafted Chubb at 4 when Ogbah is better.

That argument goes both ways.

I don't think it's cut and dry. There's something to be said for just hitting on a blue-chip player and not worrying about the position. It's preferable to a bust at a better position.

Of course, one can easily pull up Trent Richardson in response to Saquon Barkley, as they could for anyone at any position.

Just speaking in pure objective talent terms and not worrying about positions or diminishing returns etc. I feel much more confident that Barkley will be a great NFL player than any of the guys I can think of off the top of my head that would be around in a trade down situation.

Now I'm sure there will be some top NFL players to come from the middle of the first, maybe Vita Vea, maybe someone else. But my point is more so that we can't pinpoint them with complete certainty right now.

We can't pinpoint Barkley with certainty either, but realistically you can with more confidence.

Kind of like how you could say with more confidence pre draft in 2011 that Julio Jones will be a better NFL player than Phil Taylor and Greg Little.

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Or we could be saying:

Man, to think we could have had Barkley instead of this 2nd or 3rd round bum our idiots in the FO stubbornly drafted to prove how smart they were.

OR 

I can’t believe these morons drafted Chubb at 4 when Ogbah is better.

That argument goes both ways.

It does go both ways, that was my point, buddy. 

7 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

It does go both ways, that was my point, buddy. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually 100% great with a trade-back/not drafting Barkley at #4 so long as we hit. I'm just tired of being "the smartest people in the room" only to have it blow up like an ACME Rocket and we're Wile E Coyote.

I'd risk overdrafting blue chip prospects, because they have the highest probability of working out, especially since both guys fill our two biggest areas of need and are quite probably the best 2 players in the draft, at least arguably.

It's arguably a WIN/WIN, drafting BPA and it addresses our two biggest needs.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually 100% great with a trade-back/not drafting Barkley at #4 so long as we hit. I'm just tired of being "the smartest people in the room" only to have it blow up like an ACME Rocket and we're Wile E Coyote.

I'd risk overdrafting blue chip prospects, because they have the highest probability of working out, especially since both guys fill our two biggest areas of need and are quite probably the best 2 players in the draft, at least arguably.

It's arguably a WIN/WIN, drafting BPA and it addresses our two biggest needs.

Im not tired of being " the smartest ppl in the room" and having it blow up. On paper, trading back is smart.

I am just tired of passing on top tier talent. To me it be really freaking hard to pass on the best offensive player in the draft, extremely hard. 

Also to me the Browns issue isnt having enough picks in this year draft or next years draft, its having elite level kind of players.I rather the Browns stay put and trade up back into the first like last year.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Im not tired of being " the smartest ppl in the room" and having it blow up. On paper, trading back is smart.

I am just tired of passing on top tier talent. To me it be really freaking hard to pass on the best offensive player in the draft, extremely hard. 

Also to me the Browns issue isnt having enough picks in this year draft or next years draft, its having elite level kind of players.I rather the Browns stay put and trade up back into the first like last year.

That’s literally what I just said man.

When you people say "the best player in the draft", you do realize you have no clue who the best players are, right?

If mean sure, if we KNEW Barkley was the best player in the draft and had an LT/AP career, sure, draft him at 4. 

Or just be smart about it knowing it is easier to find impact RBs later in the draft than it is to find impact players at some other key positions.  

17 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

When you people say "the best player in the draft", you do realize you have no clue who the best players are, right?

No man, some folks in here do not. I’m not being facetious either.

If mean sure, if we KNEW Barkley was the best player in the draft and had an LT/AP career, sure, draft him at 4. 

Agreed.

Or just be smart about it knowing it is easier to find impact RBs later in the draft than it is to find impact players at some other key positions.  

This.

30 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Out of curiosity, who are you talking to here exactly? If it's me, I used the words "arguably", "blue chip" and "probably" every single time.

I don't care whether we draft him at 4 or not, but this team desperately needs a RB. 

Yes it definitely is. The point I'm trying to make though, is if we're trying to be smarter than everyone else by intentionally passing on Barkley because we're arrogant enough to "know" that we have the next Kamara/Hunt in the 2nd or 3rd, then that's extremely stupid as well, unless of course they're right...which I highly doubt. For every Hunt, I'll raise you a Hardesty and Travis Prentice. And yes, on the flip side, for every LT/Faulk you get a Trent Richardson. This is the draft, so who knows what we'll get? The point I'm trying to make is we need to stick to our draft boards. If Barkley is 1st on our board, we should draft him at #4 if we can't trade the pick and get a LOT of value in return.

I'd be furious if we passed on Barkley at #4. In fact, I guarantee you we take him if he's there and don't regret it.

He's going to be the top player on our board at #1, but we need a QB so badly that we need to take one there. Once we have QB in the bag, the BPA philosophy come pick #4 will be Saquon Barkley. And he'll fill a position of need.

Bradley Chubb is solid but unspectacular. He dominates with a motor and technique, but he's not nearly fast enough or powerful enough to warrant a top 5 pick in my opinion. I don't think he'll be a bad player, but he's closer to Derek Barnett as a prospect than he is to Myles Garrett. People need to slow the hype train on that kid.

And I'm glad the Minkah Fitzpatrick hype died down a little bit. He's certainly good, but people were severely overrating him, especially with his ability to play CB and FS. He's a SS whose best spot is in the Nickel defense. Nothing wrong with that, but please let's refrain from just pointing to the top FS's in the NFL and using them as comparisons for a dude that hasn't ever even played there. I've seen Ed Reed and Earl Thomas comparisons made for this dude. Ridiculous. He's a good player with no major flaws in his game, but he's not worth a top 4 pick either. I have Fitzpatrick slightly below Derwin James and I don't have Ronnie Harrison (the other Bama S) too far behind him. I'd be salt if we took him over Barkley.

Trading down only becomes an option for me if Saquon Barkley is gone before pick #4 and I doubt he goes before that anyways. If he does get taken, I want to trade down into the 10-12 range and take Derwin James to play FS instead of Minkah. At least Derwin James has experience playing there and has the upside to become a Sean Taylor type player. Taylor would have been the GOAT so I realize this is a wild comparison to make, but I believe Derwin James has this kind of potential and the skill set to play in the box or up high. People are mistaken to pigeon-hole him in as an in-the-box only safety. Watch FSU and tell me he's strictly an in-the-box safety. Not true at all.

I don't understand people that are anti-Saquon. My only advice to you guys is that you need to start watching him play or stop eating paint chips.

47 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'd be furious if we passed on Barkley at #4. In fact, I guarantee you we take him if he's there and don't regret it.

He's going to be the top player on our board at #1, but we need a QB so badly that we need to take one there. Once we have QB in the bag, the BPA philosophy come pick #4 will be Saquon Barkley. And he'll fill a position of need.

Bradley Chubb is solid but unspectacular. He dominates with a motor and technique, but he's not nearly fast enough or powerful enough to warrant a top 5 pick in my opinion. I don't think he'll be a bad player, but he's closer to Derek Barnett as a prospect than he is to Myles Garrett. People need to slow the hype train on that kid.

And I'm glad the Minkah Fitzpatrick hype died down a little bit. He's certainly good, but people were severely overrating him, especially with his ability to play CB and FS. He's a SS whose best spot is in the Nickel defense. Nothing wrong with that, but please let's refrain from just pointing to the top FS's in the NFL and using them as comparisons for a dude that hasn't ever even played there. I've seen Ed Reed and Earl Thomas comparisons made for this dude. Ridiculous. He's a good player with no major flaws in his game, but he's not worth a top 4 pick either. I have Fitzpatrick slightly below Derwin James and I don't have Ronnie Harrison (the other Bama S) too far behind him. I'd be salt if we took him over Barkley.

Trading down only becomes an option for me if Saquon Barkley is gone before pick #4 and I doubt he goes before that anyways. If he does get taken, I want to trade down into the 10-12 range and take Derwin James to play FS instead of Minkah. At least Derwin James has experience playing there and has the upside to become a Sean Taylor type player. Taylor would have been the GOAT so I realize this is a wild comparison to make, but I believe Derwin James has this kind of potential and the skill set to play in the box or up high. People are mistaken to pigeon-hole him in as an in-the-box only safety. Watch FSU and tell me he's strictly an in-the-box safety. Not true at all.

I don't understand people that are anti-Saquon. My only advice to you guys is that you need to start watching him play or stop eating paint chips.

I really disagree about Chubb. He’s going to be an above average DE in the NFL and very much worth the 4th pick. I think I disagree about Fitzpatrick. He’s the type of player you just pick and put him somewhere in the secondary and let him play. He’s very versatile. Btw I say “I think” because I haven’t done as much research on him that I’d like. I am also definitely not sold On Saquon yet either. I’m not sold he can run between the tackles and not sure he’s got good vision. Again I need to watch more with him too. 

Just my ever so humble opinion. JMESHO for you lazy millennials :D

Archived