Saquan number 1 pick

cattleman78

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/scot-mccloughan-preferred-derrius-guice-to-saquon-barkley/

McCloughan about to be Public Enemy #1 in Cleveland when he goes Baker and then passes on Barkley.

I'd get over it. I prefer Darnold and Rosen, but I'm a fan of Mayfield so I could live with him at #1. And while I'd probably take Barkley if he's available at #4, I won't be too upset if we pass on him since this running back class is pretty loaded. I'm usually against taking a running back so early anyway, but I'm for taking Barkley since there's not many other top prospects worth taking at #4 that fit a need. I wouldn't be against trading down and taking Guice later in the first or another running back at the top of round two.

Dorsey will be the one making the decisions at the end of the day, though. We really have no idea how much of a say McCloughan will have, although I'm sure his thoughts and opinions will carry a good amount of weight.

50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sure.....in 1978.

There hasn’t been a RB at 1 since Carter in 1995 and we need to be the dipshts to break that streak?

How are we going to take Saquon Barkley number 1 overall when we already turned in the card for Baker "little Favre" Mayfield?

But seriously...there's noway Saquon goes top 2.

Importance of positions comes into play!!!

QB - #1 priority on any football team if judged by the draft!

Long way down

LT - second most important position on offense, again if judged by the draft, as GM's absolutely feel they must protect their investment in a franchise QB!

WR - since passing the ball has reached new heights in pro football, WR's have moved up significantly in their priority on a football team!

Pass rushers - when it comes to defense, pass rushers are the #1 priority on defense!

CB's - obviously, if passing the ball is the #1 priority on offense, defending the pass is the #1 priority on defense!

Safties - If a Safety can handle one on one coverage, he becomes a priority on defense as well!

Then we have the secondary positions on a football team which includes RB, unless your team like Dallas, is intending to use the run as the #1 priority on offense, something that a SB winner has not done for many, many years, as most NFL teams only use the run about 33% of their offense.

There are very few NFL teams that would draft a RB in the top 5 or even the top 10, these spots are usually reserved for priority position on any football team, so why in the world would Cleveland even consider Barkley as their #1 overall pick, especially after 2 great RB came out of last year's draft in a later round. From a football point of view, they would have to be complete idiots to draft Barkley and IMO, there is absolutely zero chance that they do it, it isn't even worth considering!!!

At #4, it may be a choice worth looking at, if the scouts rate him that high, but even then, Cleveland will be tempted to trade down a few spots to acquire more assets in the draft, as RB is a very loaded position in this year's draft, so the team may well be willing to wait a round to draft a RB, far more likely scenario IMO.

As much as I disagree with Barkley not being deserving of the number 1 pick I agree positional value although sometimes ridiculous takes priority. Barkley is hands down the most talented player in this draft physically, has the stats to back it up, and he’s character is A++. But he’s also a RB and if you look at the teams in the Super Bowl and much through out the playoffs. There’s not many teams with backs drafted in the top 10 let alone top 2-5. QB,PR, and DBs hold more value then a RB. So with that being said as much as I love Barkley. We have an opportunity to select two of the top 5 players in the draft 3 of them being needs and holding value. Darnold,Minka, and Chubb. If we come out with two of the three it’s a win for us. I was on the Barkley train early and still am. He’s my draft crush. But it just makes more sense to draft the players with the biggest impact 

56 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

As much as I disagree with Barkley not being deserving of the number 1 pick I agree positional value although sometimes ridiculous takes priority. Barkley is hands down the most talented player in this draft physically, has the stats to back it up, and he’s character is A++. But he’s also a RB and if you look at the teams in the Super Bowl and much through out the playoffs. There’s not many teams with backs drafted in the top 10 let alone top 2-5. QB,PR, and DBs hold more value then a RB. So with that being said as much as I love Barkley. We have an opportunity to select two of the top 5 players in the draft 3 of them being needs and holding value. Darnold,Minka, and Chubb. If we come out with two of the three it’s a win for us. I was on the Barkley train early and still am. He’s my draft crush. But it just makes more sense to draft the players with the biggest impact 

You look at it, the teams that selected RBs in the top10 in '17, both made the playoffs. The RB selected top10 in '16 made the playoffs. If Zeke was smarter and didnt miss any games, Dallas prolly would of made the playoffs. The RB selected top10 in '15, they made the playoffs this year but also finished #2 in MVP. Seems like the track record of drafting a back in the top10 has had a pretty good return investment. The thing I like about Barkley, is he just isnt the best RB in the class, he is the best overall offensive player/playmaker in the draft.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

You look at it, the teams that selected RBs in the top10 in '17, both made the playoffs. The RB selected top10 in '16 made the playoffs. If Zeke was smarter and didnt miss any games, Dallas prolly would of made the playoffs. The RB selected top10 in '15, they made the playoffs this year but also finished #2 in MVP. Seems like the track record of drafting a back in the top10 has had a pretty good return investment. The thing I like about Barkley, is he just isnt the best RB in the class, he is the best overall offensive player/playmaker in the draft.

Yeah, but, the 2 RB's who went round 3, Kamara and Hunt has far better rookie years and were dominate and both those teams made the playoffs as well, so I still think it is a risky business drafting a RB as high as #4, after all, McCarthy didn't have a sensational year and Dallas which based its offense on its RB, fell back into a non playoff team???

I think you can say that Jacksonville and Carolina, depended far more on their defense than their offense to carry them through the season!!! Jacksonville did not have a solid franchise QB and needed a RB to carry their load, we will be drafting hopefully, a great QB within 2 years and running the ball will not be a priority on our football team???

16 hours ago, mtmmike said:

The only way we are drafting barkley number1 is if we win the cousins lottery.

That said barkley would be perfect if we draft a qb at 1

If we were to sign Cousins, which is a long-shot, a trade back would be the only sensical decision. Between picks 5,6, and on down the list, we could hit it huge with other teams needing their QBOTF. Even at pick 2, with us talking to other teams, we could get value from the Giants to not trade that pick elsewhere. 

Hypothetically, give us Cousins, pick 5, and a 2nd. We still get Fitzpatrick and whatever other guy we want other than QB between picks 4/5. At least 2 QBs go in the top 3; maybe 3. Hanging on to that pick, considering the likely return, would seem like a longshot if we signed Cousins. From his end, if he’s looking to sign somewhere to compete, I’d almost put Cleveland as a better turnaround destination then other projected locations, really. That’s not recent precadent or the national stigma though. I really think it’s a huge longshot. 

Excellent point you bring up

1 I promised cousins that I would draft barkley with are 1st pick.

2To me I have barkley head and shoulders above chubb,fitzpatrick

'3there is a pretty significant drop of from 1 to say 7 when you start talking about davenport.

4trade great if you can get value but lets say rosen drops to 4 what team do you think is going to pay up 3 number 1s a couple of number2s and maybe a 4th to move up 3 spots?

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sure.....in 1978.

There hasn’t been a RB at 1 since Carter in 1995 and we need to be the dipshts to break that streak?

Your  right but how many running backs turned to be the best in there class

A RB for a team who was just 0-16 with a coach who doesn't use his RB.  Sweet.  That would be so Browns.  

I am sure Saquan will be a good RB somewhere, I just hope it is somewhere else (unless we trade down and draft him, at pick 1 is just silly).

Even if we signed Cousins I think it is a terrible pick at 1.  It would be fun as a fan, but an obviously bad football decision considering what we would trade the #1 pick for.

13 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

A RB for a team who was just 0-16 with a coach who doesn't use his RB.  Sweet.  That would be so Browns.  

I am sure Saquan will be a good RB somewhere, I just hope it is somewhere else (unless we trade down and draft him, at pick 1 is just silly).

Even if we signed Cousins I think it is a terrible pick at 1.  It would be fun as a fan, but an obviously bad football decision considering what we would trade the #1 pick for.

You are talking logically.

What is your audience?

Archived