TCMD Discussion!!

EaglesPeteC

2 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Yeah that was funny, as soon as I saw that trade announced my first thought was, "Didn't KC's GM in TCMD say he'd never trade Peters?" 

Funny how that works :D

Not happy.  Sigh, I should be used to this as a Chiefs fan. 

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't know who TB's GM is, but he offered some terrible contracts.

EDIT: But he can take solace in the fact that he wasn't alone.

Trumaine Johnson was offered 5y/95mil/8mil signing bonus by the Jets
The Buccs were awarded him for 5y/89.8mil/14mil signing bonus

The Buccs have no cap issue and intend on having him play and start unless he falls off a cliff. That may happen when he's 33 at the last year of the deal, but is that fear worth the upgrade from Josh Robinson or Ryan Smith to Trumaine Johnson? Yes. The Buccs using the 5th year and high bonus structure that lost us out of the Leveon Bell deal round one was applied. I like the move in the context of this mock, it's too much irl though.

Bashaud Breeland was offered 5y/29mil/2.4mil signing bonus by the Bills
Bashaud Breeland was offered 4y/20mil/1.2mil signing bonus by the Seahawks
Bashaud Breeland was offered 5y/28.4mil/1.4mil signing bonus by the Titans
Bashaud Breeland was awarded 5y/34mil/6mil signing bonus by the Buccaneers

The Buccs end up getting Breeland for 1 to 2 million more per year than was offered by three other teams this round. Given we had roughly 60mil in cap space for this round I think it's fair to say in the context of the mock Breeland was not a "terrible" contract offer, it was about 1.5mil per year more than the competition. Signing bonus is not a negative as he is intended to be a Bucc the entirety of the contract unlike other contracts in this simulation where late years are throw aways to get awarded players. Neither the Trumaine contract, nor the Breeland scales to insanity in later years (unless you prejudge Johnson already is at insanity levels, but then he otherwise makes that amount as a Jet in this mock, so it's not an offer unmatched in scale as it would be in real life). 

Poe had an offer from the Chargers for 3y/25mil
The Buccs were awarded him for 3y/29mil

That's 1.3mil a year more for Poe than the Chargers offered.

Robert McClain was resigned for less than a million a year.

If my offers are terrible because I spent 1.3+2+roughly tie more than the competition to fill three holes on my defense, I'm not sure what I am supposed to do. Additionally I didn't throw every dime of cap space the Buccs have to succeed in these three large contracts. We've already extended Mike Evans and have something like 20-25mil in cap space left. I dealt for Jimmie Ward on a 1 year 8 mil deal that comes off the books next year as well, but I view the Buccs as a competitive team that isn't hampered in the short or long terms. I can see my offseason grade not being a top team, but far from "terrible". Terrible to me would be either no signings and trades and maintaining a large cap, or massive overpays in relation to other offers in the simulation neither of which have happened in my opinion.

Trade wise I feel like the Robert Quinn trade is one of the superstar (Desean + 3rd for Quinn) that appears pretty fair, and that's pretty hard in these mocks as you know. Quinn fit my need for a 9 technique edge rusher that excels against the pass. My scheme was calling for his position to carry that burden with Noah Spence, who is otherwise my only option to fill that role. I also traded my 4th for Wilkerson, which was a no negotiation -- just offer what was listed in the trade block simple trade. Wilkerson fills my 5 technique upgrading over Gholston. In real life I'd need to know Wilkerson's frustrations with the Jets, his role and his view of salary long term, but here I'm happy to pay his salary and start him opposite Quinn rushing. His pass rushing abilities complement Quinn, and his ability against the run are desperately needed as Quinn doesn't offer much in that regard. Then Poe, which I'm assuming was graded as terrible, fills the NT position allowing McCoy to be single teamed less. Wilkerson/Poe/McCoy/Quinn > Gholson/Baker/Mcoy/Spence. That has to be a pretty safe consensus. The Buccs cap isn't ruined by these moves, and it's not like the long term view is disrupted either with Spence being the only young high upside guy from prior, and he remains on the roster.

Cornerback wise Trumaine Johnson and Bashaud Breeland is a fantastic duo for the Buccs and allows Hargreaves to stay in the slot. If I resigned Grimes he'd have cost me near 7mil. I turned that into Breeland, and Grimes got near that from the 49ers. Aside from Trumaine Johnson, my other options for a stud solution at LCB were Aqib Talib, who the Rams traded for (and would be controversial to trade for given his first stint in Tampa), or draft. In the draft, at 7, I see my realistic options being Trumaine Edmunds at SLB, Quenton Nelson at left guard, Fitzpatrick or Derwin James at Safety, Vita Vea at NT (Poe rules this out now) or possibly a trade down for someone looking at a QB. I like all of those options more than taking Josh Johnson or Denzel Ward at the moment. Things could change, but I'm following my offseason plan and not crippling my future.

The one trade I somewhat regret was the trade with the Titans. I wasn't going to roll with Doug Martin at RB though, and recouperating a 4th round pick was important to me. Moving Beckwith though opens up Trumaine Edmunds at 7 as an option, and other LBs later. Davonte Bond when in 4-3 under base (no nickle) is fine, and Spence when in 3-4 is fine. It's just the most strange of my moves as Murray is a 30 year old back, but Peyton Barber and draft (or a budget vet in FA) should be decent.

I didn't mean to rant or reject criticism, but I wanted to explain my offseason thus far.

16 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Trumaine Johnson was offered 5y/95mil/8mil signing bonus by the Jets
The Buccs were awarded him for 5y/89.8mil/14mil signing bonus

The Buccs have no cap issue and intend on having him play and start unless he falls off a cliff. That may happen when he's 33 at the last year of the deal, but is that fear worth the upgrade from Josh Robinson or Ryan Smith to Trumaine Johnson? Yes. The Buccs using the 5th year and high bonus structure that lost us out of the Leveon Bell deal round one was applied. I like the move in the context of this mock, it's too much irl though.

Bashaud Breeland was offered 5y/29mil/2.4mil signing bonus by the Bills
Bashaud Breeland was offered 4y/20mil/1.2mil signing bonus by the Seahawks
Bashaud Breeland was offered 5y/28.4mil/1.4mil signing bonus by the Titans
Bashaud Breeland was awarded 5y/34mil/6mil signing bonus by the Buccaneers

The Buccs end up getting Breeland for 1 to 2 million more per year than was offered by three other teams this round. Given we had roughly 60mil in cap space for this round I think it's fair to say in the context of the mock Breeland was not a "terrible" contract offer, it was about 1.5mil per year more than the competition. Signing bonus is not a negative as he is intended to be a Bucc the entirety of the contract unlike other contracts in this simulation where late years are throw aways to get awarded players. Neither the Trumaine contract, nor the Breeland scales to insanity in later years (unless you prejudge Johnson already is at insanity levels, but then he otherwise makes that amount as a Jet in this mock, so it's not an offer unmatched in scale as it would be in real life). 

Poe had an offer from the Chargers for 3y/25mil
The Buccs were awarded him for 3y/29mil

That's 1.3mil a year more for Poe than the Chargers offered.

Robert McClain was resigned for less than a million a year.

If my offers are terrible because I spent 1.3+2+roughly tie more than the competition to fill three holes on my defense, I'm not sure what I am supposed to do. Additionally I didn't throw every dime of cap space the Buccs have to succeed in these three large contracts. We've already extended Mike Evans and have something like 20-25mil in cap space left. I dealt for Jimmie Ward on a 1 year 8 mil deal that comes off the books next year as well, but I view the Buccs as a competitive team that isn't hampered in the short or long terms. I can see my offseason grade not being a top team, but far from "terrible". Terrible to me would be either no signings and trades and maintaining a large cap, or massive overpays in relation to other offers in the simulation neither of which have happened in my opinion.

Trade wise I feel like the Robert Quinn trade is one of the superstar (Desean + 3rd for Quinn) that appears pretty fair, and that's pretty hard in these mocks as you know. Quinn fit my need for a 9 technique edge rusher that excels against the pass. My scheme was calling for his position to carry that burden with Noah Spence, who is otherwise my only option to fill that role. I also traded my 4th for Wilkerson, which was a no negotiation -- just offer what was listed in the trade block simple trade. Wilkerson fills my 5 technique upgrading over Gholston. In real life I'd need to know Wilkerson's frustrations with the Jets, his role and his view of salary long term, but here I'm happy to pay his salary and start him opposite Quinn rushing. His pass rushing abilities complement Quinn, and his ability against the run are desperately needed as Quinn doesn't offer much in that regard. Then Poe, which I'm assuming was graded as terrible, fills the NT position allowing McCoy to be single teamed less. Wilkerson/Poe/McCoy/Quinn > Gholson/Baker/Mcoy/Spence. That has to be a pretty safe consensus. The Buccs cap isn't ruined by these moves, and it's not like the long term view is disrupted either with Spence being the only young high upside guy from prior, and he remains on the roster.

Cornerback wise Trumaine Johnson and Bashaud Breeland is a fantastic duo for the Buccs and allows Hargreaves to stay in the slot. If I resigned Grimes he'd have cost me near 7mil. I turned that into Breeland, and Grimes got near that from the 49ers. Aside from Trumaine Johnson, my other options for a stud solution at LCB were Aqib Talib, who the Rams traded for (and would be controversial to trade for given his first stint in Tampa), or draft. In the draft, at 7, I see my realistic options being Trumaine Edmunds at SLB, Quenton Nelson at left guard, Fitzpatrick or Derwin James at Safety, Vita Vea at NT (Poe rules this out now) or possibly a trade down for someone looking at a QB. I like all of those options more than taking Josh Johnson or Denzel Ward at the moment. Things could change, but I'm following my offseason plan and not crippling my future.

The one trade I somewhat regret was the trade with the Titans. I wasn't going to roll with Doug Martin at RB though, and recouperating a 4th round pick was important to me. Moving Beckwith though opens up Trumaine Edmunds at 7 as an option, and other LBs later. Davonte Bond when in 4-3 under base (no nickle) is fine, and Spence when in 3-4 is fine. It's just the most strange of my moves as Murray is a 30 year old back, but Peyton Barber and draft (or a budget vet in FA) should be decent.

I didn't mean to rant or reject criticism, but I wanted to explain my offseason thus far.

Edmunds will be a Colt

Unless I am misunderstanding Mike's table, you gave Trumaine $14 million PER YEAR in signing bonuses over 5 years. That means you have no way of getting out of the contract until after the 4th year. You offered Breeland $6 million PER YEAR in signing bonuses over his contract. That also gives you no out until after the second-to-last year of the deal. Your APY on Breeland is fine. It's the horrific signing bonuses that make these terrible deals.

(Yes, I am aware that signing bonuses are paid upfront and prorate)

The Bucs current staff might be gone after the year, but you are stuck with both CBs no matter what. Those are the sort of contracts that land teams in cap hell. Having tons of cap room gives you the flexibility to eat a lot of money this year. Instead, you are screwing your future cap flexibility with those contracts.

Archived