Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

If there are major changes coming, it is hard for me to imagine the owners sticking with Rick Spielman. It does seem if a change takes place at the GM level it likely will lead to the head coach being replaced. A new GM ought to be casting his net wider than just Stefanski in the head coaching search because he too shouldn't expect to have more than a couple chances to get the right guy and the rest of the pieces of the puzzle needed by that head coach.

It's hard to disagree here. IF Zimmer goes, Spielman should go with him.

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If there are major changes coming, it is hard for me to imagine the owners sticking with Rick Spielman. It does seem if a change takes place at the GM level it likely will lead to the head coach being replaced. A new GM ought to be casting his net wider than just Stefanski in the head coaching search because he too shouldn't expect to have more than a couple chances to get the right guy and the rest of the pieces of the puzzle needed by that head coach.

Unless they promote Paton to GM. Could very well keep it all internal.

I just hate the idea of moving on from Zimmer and Speilman. Part of it has been our production, part of it is my gut. No, we have not made deep playoff runs. No, we have not won a superbowl. That shouldn't discredit the whole process and where we were and where we are now. No doubt, mistakes have been made, bad signings have happened, but this team has had some serious turnover in big time positions, and tons of other issues... and despite all of that, we have been competitive. We've gone through QB's, coordinators, all sorts of stuff. This doesn't make us special, but it does add to the narrative. Speilman has produced strong draft classes, but some uninspiring free agent acquisitions. Zimmer elevated our defense to elite levels, and that is tapering off some especially this year, but it doesn't mean he has lost it or something. We went from a defense heavy focus in the offseason with the draft to being more balanced and our offensive production has crept up... but that just means that the defense has had to suffer some.

At the end of the day, Zimmer is respected and trusted by the players. The atmosphere around this team has remained positive and hungry. We have not put all the pieces together yet, but I just cannot help but feel like moving on from Zim, Speilman, or both would spell a good situation for us. I like Stefanski, but not enough to think that he should unseat Zimmer right now. I'd much rather see Stefanski leave and have Kubiak take over or to bring back Shurmur.

Obviously a lot of people here disagree, and I respect that, but my gut tells me that it would be at least a multi-year disaster if we give up on Zimmer at this point.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I just hate the idea of moving on from Zimmer and Speilman. Part of it has been our production, part of it is my gut. No, we have not made deep playoff runs. No, we have not won a superbowl. That shouldn't discredit the whole process and where we were and where we are now. No doubt, mistakes have been made, bad signings have happened, but this team has had some serious turnover in big time positions, and tons of other issues... and despite all of that, we have been competitive. We've gone through QB's, coordinators, all sorts of stuff. This doesn't make us special, but it does add to the narrative. Speilman has produced strong draft classes, but some uninspiring free agent acquisitions. Zimmer elevated our defense to elite levels, and that is tapering off some especially this year, but it doesn't mean he has lost it or something. We went from a defense heavy focus in the offseason with the draft to being more balanced and our offensive production has crept up... but that just means that the defense has had to suffer some.

At the end of the day, Zimmer is respected and trusted by the players. The atmosphere around this team has remained positive and hungry. We have not put all the pieces together yet, but I just cannot help but feel like moving on from Zim, Speilman, or both would spell a good situation for us. I like Stefanski, but not enough to think that he should unseat Zimmer right now. I'd much rather see Stefanski leave and have Kubiak take over or to bring back Shurmur.

Obviously a lot of people here disagree, and I respect that, but my gut tells me that it would be at least a multi-year disaster if we give up on Zimmer at this point.

As opposed to just losing in round 1 of the playoffs until he retires? I mean, I get that people have different ways of being fans, so we will just disagree.

• Like 1

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

As opposed to just losing in round 1 of the playoffs until he retires? I mean, I get that people have different ways of being fans, so we will just disagree.

I hate losing in the playoffs as much as the next guy. I just don't think that's our ceiling with the current staff, despite that being the outcome that we've seen in Zimmer's tenure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

weren't we in the NFC CG a couple of years back, losing to the eventual Super Bowl winner...?

i guess it could be argued whether we were actually in that game though...

They were, as they were about to go up 14-0 until Case threw that INT...it unraveled from there.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i've thought/wondered about that too, but being Spiel's long time assistant is he likely to do things differently?

Tough to say but an interesting topic for sure. Who knows what his dissenting opinions/decisions would've been over the course of Spielman's tenure.

• Like 1

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Nope, because runs in this case is the one word, singular, because they are talking the definition of the one word.

hmmm...

then it would have been, "the word, runs, is plural." because then the subject of the sentence is "word," not "runs."

lolololol

• Like 1