Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

No, they actually had a good line for a few years there, until Norv showed up. It was better than not bad.

Crikey man, what's the deal? You were the one that called them not bad. I was merely agreeing with you. I agree with you and then you argue anyway. What's the deal?

They were good in 2007-08 with McKinnie, Hutchinson and Birk, and still OK in 2009 swapping in Sullivan and Loadholt. Took a step back in 2010 with McKinnie getting cut and Hutch aging out, but they were legitimately good again in 2011-13.

I didn't think they were good any of those years. They were occasionally good for parts of seasons but never held up throughout a season.

It’s not disingenuous to point out that the reason the 2014 OL struggled was the scheme and coaching, not the talent, in a discussion about how the Vikings OL has supposedly had less than rock bottom talent for 10 years.

Okay, if you say so. But I don't care how talented a player is at figure skating if I am looking for someone to play ice hockey. If the team picks one scheme, and doesn't have players to execute that scheme I suppose you can say they had talent, if those players were really good at something else....like figure skating. To me, that is very, very disingenuous. We are talking about how talented the players were at the job the team needed them to do. It is cool to have a long snapper that can do magic and all, but it is just cool. They guy still needs to be good at long snapping.

But if you say that it is not disingenuous to compare the level of talent at something the team is not looking for and claiming they had talent, yeah...if you say so :eyeroll:

I get the feeling that you just want to argue for the sake of arguing and don't really care what you are arguing about as long as you are arguing. You said about the line that they were "not bad" and I agreed and you argued. It isn't the first time I have agreed with you and then you proceeded to argue. I don't know man. You do you. What you think isn't that important to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

But if you say that it is not disingenuous to compare the level of talent at something the team is not looking for and claiming they had talent, yeah...if you say so :eyeroll:

I get the feeling that you just want to argue for the sake of arguing and don't really care what you are arguing about as long as you are arguing. You said about the line that they were "not bad" and I agreed and you argued. It isn't the first time I have agreed with you and then you proceeded to argue. I don't know man. You do you. What you think isn't that important to me.

What’s disingenuous is pretending we agree when you’re saying the Vikings OL talent hasn’t even been entry level for 10 years and I’m saying they had NFL quality talent more recently than that. There are some points on which we agree but we disagree on that.

I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing. I’m having a discussion about football on a football discussion board. There’s no need to make it personal. I didn’t intend to, and I’m sorry if it came across that way.

21 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

Did not think we'd have so little cap space after the Reiff restructure we'll have to count on our practice squad over veterans for help.

That's weird, considering I just heard yesterday that they had about $6M of cap space.  I'm not sure who's right.  

5 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Looking at those numbers, is it even possible for the master of the salary cap, the Wizard of Bryz to get a Cook extension?

Now with Kamara going to make bank in the next couple days, are we essentially saying goodbye to Cook or is there still hope with the likes of Rudolph?

Of course he could. Providing that any extension doesn’t increase his cap number in 2020. 

Bringing in Ngakoue came after the team broke off talks with Cook; it likely means talks with Cook are not going to heat back up until after the season. Is it possible? Sure, it is possible for them to extend him even considering the lack of cap space. Dollars can be moved around.

Counting 69 players against the cap instead of the 51 they had to count before the cuts is showing up in the current cap situation.

13 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Looking at those numbers, is it even possible for the master of the salary cap, the Wizard of Bryz to get a Cook extension?

Now with Kamara going to make bank in the next couple days, are we essentially saying goodbye to Cook or is there still hope with the likes of Rudolph?

Definitely won't be saying goodbye, because the franchise tag exists...and I definitely think they'll use it, since it's going to be so low.  

10 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

So essentially back loading the deal to take the strain off the cap the next two years?

Yes. If the salary cap doesn’t move, I’m sorry but I just have a hard time believing that the NFL/NFLPA will let the cap drop $20M, the Vikings will have roughly $20M in cap space for 2021. And could get that number to ~$30M if they cut Reid, who’s still listed as being under contract next year. 

$30M in cap space with Ngakoue, Harris, Cook, and Eric Wilson as your top UFAs? Plus, a restructure for Hunter. It’ll likely be tight again, but not improbable. 

Especially if teams expect to see new tv contracts in the near future. 

Edited by SemperFeist

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes. If the salary cap doesn’t move, I’m sorry but I just have a hard time believing that the NFL/NFLPA will let the cap drop $20M, the Vikings will have roughly $20M in cap space for 2021. And could get that number to ~$30M if they cut Reid, who’s still listed as being under contract next year. 

$30M in cap space with Ngakoue, Harris, Cook, and Eric Wilson as your top UFAs? Plus, a restructure for Hunter. It’ll likely be tight again, but not improbable. 

Especially if teams expect to see new tv contracts in the near future. 

The deal would have to include virtually no signing bonus.  Even a $10M signing bonus spread out over 5 years (the max) would put us over the cap for this year.

Barring some extremely creative cap crunching, and Cook being willing to take guaranteed roster bonuses instead of a signing bonus, no extension will happen this year.  Might as well just push it to next year at this point to have at least some minor cap flexibility.

• Like 1