Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Good point.

The people that were trying to justify the Vikings (in)actions to fill the guard positions this offseason by suggesting Reiff could fill in at one guard spot with Samia starting at the other spot have had to slowly come to terms with reality.

There's a far larger difference between moving a guy from one left side position to another left side position from changing a guy from one side of the line to the other.  I'd make the argument that it's easier to move a guy from LG to LT in 2 weeks (in the case of Cleveland) than it is to move a guy from RT to LT in 2 weeks.

Edited by swede700

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

No, it's not a cohesively gelled unit, but even so, you're asking a guy who's started for 2 years on the right side (and only played LT for 1 year at Pitt) to all of a sudden change his footwork in 2 weeks.

And? 

If it’s what the team ends up doing, do you really think they’ll do it without believing that O’Neill can’t do it? 

And for all we know, O’Neill has been working on his left tackle foot work during the offseason. He played LT at practice the other day and all reports were that he looked very smooth. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There's a far larger difference between moving a guy from one left side position to another left side position from changing a guy from one side of the line to the other.  I'd make the argument that it's easier to move a guy from LG to LT in 2 weeks (in the case of Cleveland) than it is to move a guy from RT to LT in 2 weeks.

Agreed.

I don't think the team is ready to move on from Reiff without seeing something out of someone else that tells them they hvae a viable backup plan. I've read nothing to suggest the team has looked at Cleveland there so I doubt he is that backup plan.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Why? The footwork and hand placement for guard and tackle are very different.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

And? 

If it’s what the team ends up doing, do you really think they’ll do it without believing that O’Neill can’t do it? 

And for all we know, O’Neill has been working on his left tackle foot work during the offseason. He played LT at practice the other day and all reports were that he looked very smooth. 

If that's what they do, then that's what they do...but I don't think it's a wise move and we should expect even more issues with the offensive line than we did even a week ago.  For me, it'll likely be the 2016 Sam Bradford scenario all over again...and it didn't have to be that way.  

Just now, swede700 said:

There's a far larger difference between moving a guy from one left side position to another left side position from changing a guy from one side of the line to the other.  

Unsure of what you're saying here, specifically.  Is the larger difference moving inside/out or right/left?  My reading comprehension has had a five month break.

42 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Unsure of what you're saying here, specifically.  Is the larger difference moving inside/out or right/left?  My reading comprehension has had a five month break.

I think he's saying that the footwork and hand placement changes when playing on the left as opposed to the right. It's not an easy transition to make from all I've read, and even if a guy is more than capable of transitioning (like O'Neil) one would think it would take time to retrain and regain the muscle movement/memory.

Maybe the argument isn't necessarily whether or not O'Neil can transition with ease, but whether or not they feel Cleveland is ready for the NFL despite having played largely at LT in college. 

Edited by babababa

7 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I've been on board with a RR cut for a long while, would be pleased if this ended up being the case. As for who is the starting LT, I'm fine with letting BO & CH fight it out, even if it's just 2 weeks

CH?

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I've been on board with a RR cut for a long while, would be pleased if this ended up being the case. As for who is the starting LT, I'm fine with letting BO & CH fight it out, even if it's just 2 weeks

It’s the right move and frankly would have been supportive of it months ago. Moving O’Neill to LT would seem the best option, especially if Udoh or Hill might be more comfortable at RT.