Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

58 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

If Bisi can hit Theilens level then that's a win.  I think Jefferson definitely looks like he can contribute immediately though.

If Bisi can be 80% of the player Thielen has become, that’s a home run of a 7th round pick. 

I’ll be thrilled if Bisi can become a top 40 WR. 

4 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Did Treadwell show much promise in his first training camp?

No, he was struggling. 

That rookie preseason in 2016 he caught 6 of 14 targets for 61 yards, with 2 drops. He played long stretches of all 4 games, so he ran twice as many routes as any other receiver on the team, but he didn’t produce. PFF grade was 56.8.

42 minutes ago, Krauser said:

No, he was struggling. 

That rookie preseason in 2016 he caught 6 of 14 targets for 61 yards, with 2 drops. He played long stretches of all 4 games, so he ran twice as many routes as any other receiver on the team, but he didn’t produce. PFF grade was 56.8.

yeah, i remember lots of early reports of is work ethic being great, but then came the later reports of how his priorities were misdirected.

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

yeah, i remember lots of early reports of is work ethic being great, but then came the later reports of how his priorities were misdirected.

Agreed.  I think it was even Greenway that said on the radio that he knew immediately from the time that he stepped on the practice field that Laquon didn't have it.  Same with Ponder.

I’ve heard stories, from Ponder himself, that he came into camp as a rookie with a bit of an entitled attitude. And because he didnt get the advantage of rookie camp or OTAs, he didn’t get to feel his way into the locker room. It was very obvious, given the team’s QB situation, that Ponder was drafted to be “the guy”, and he tried to be overly confident which just came across as arrogance, and rubbed a lot of the vets the wrong way. But I still believe that the biggest hinderance to Ponder was that the Vikings didn’t implement an offense that was built around him. 

As for Treadwell, I think there were two main factors. One, I think that the Vikings and their medical staff believed that he would lily recover from that nasty leg injury, and I don’t think he ever did. Two, I don’t think Treadwell knew how to handle being just another guy on the team. 

Edited by SemperFeist

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But I still believe that the biggest hinderance to Ponder was that the Vikings didn’t implement an offense that was built around him. 

It wasn't the offense's fault that Ponder couldn't get it done. Musgrave gave him lots of play action rollout half field reads, and a nicely designed screen/gadget game built around Harvin. Ponder struggled to manage the pocket and his accuracy was spotty at best. They were able to move the ball better on the ground than the air, so why would they have been throwing more? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Krauser said:

It wasn't the offense's fault that Ponder couldn't get it done. Musgrave gave him lots of play action rollout half field reads, and a nicely designed screen/gadget game built around Harvin. Ponder struggled to manage the pocket and his accuracy was spotty at best. They were able to move the ball better on the ground than the air, so why would they have been throwing more? 

You forgot to mention his noodle arm. He didn't have the velocity to allow him to be successful if he was much short of perfect in his reads, anticipation, and accuracy. He was far from perfect in all of them and the noodle arm was never going to bail him out.  I agree that Ponder was going to fail in any offense. His post-Vikings career backs that up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  I think it was even Greenway that said on the radio that he knew immediately from the time that he stepped on the practice field that Laquon didn't have it.  Same with Ponder.

Do you have the links to that conversation? I thought Startribune kept radio recordings with former Vikings players...?

Edited by SteelKing728

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you have the links to that conversation? I thought Startribune kept radio recordings with former Vikings players...?

I don't have a link to it, but if I recall correctly, it was one of Greenway's appearances earlier this summer on KFAN on the Friday Football Feast (so it was on a Friday ;) ).  It might have been one of them in June or July, so if you go to your favorite podcast app, you should be able to pull them from there.  

• Like 1