Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

I'm far more worried about the D-Line than any other unit. We'll be relying on three players to step up and provide competent play. I understand our CB group is young, but there's a lot of high round talent there, and we have two great safeties to help them along.  

I wouldn't mind seeing a trade or FA signing at DT if one becomes available in the next couple of weeks. I just don't see our DTs holding up this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm far more worried about the D-Line than any other unit. We'll be relying on three players to step up and provide competent play. I understand our CB group is young, but there's a lot of high round talent there, and we have two great safeties to help them along.  

I wouldn't mind seeing a trade or FA signing at DT if one becomes available in the next couple of weeks. I just don't see our DTs holding up this year.

Yeah, the Vikings losing Joseph and Griffen while having Pierce opt-out has really hit the D-line. The Depth guys are now having to become the starters and the jury is still out on whether they can step-up in a significant way. Odenigbo looked capable, but he isn't Griffen. Rotation is questionable at best. If Hunter is injured at any point this year this team will probably field one of the worst lines in the NFL. This should be the season the team uses Barr more in a rushing role. I don't seriously expect anything from the mid-round rookies this season as there's nothing more than wishing and hoping there. 

Sorry -- just how I feel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeydudemanG said:

What do you guys feel about the offensive line shake up. I think our team is coming together outside of the guards. But its nice to here ezras om the left and Pat E is competing at rg.

I thought the whole idea of releasing Kline was that the team was so excited for Samia to start at left guard, so seeing Elflein get the first reps coming out is disappointing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I thought the whole idea of releasing Kline was that the team was so excited for Samia to start at left guard, so seeing Elflein get the first reps coming out is disappointing. 

Plans changed when there was no mini camps or OTAs, and training camp was drastically altered. I think the team was really looking forward to seeing what Samia and Udoh were going to do with a full offseason.

Also, pads haven’t even been put on yet, so we really don’t know what’s going to happen yet. 

Edited by SemperFeist

12 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

That was a narrative that never had a lot of legs. Many never bought into it. There was never much to support Samia as a starter at guard. He'll be showing great progress if he can become a game day active backup. Last year he wasn't even activated as a backup when starters were injured and Dozier was starting.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:02 PM, wcblack34 said:

I have far more faith in the Defensive Line...and with Andre Patterson in particular, than you do.  I have zero concerns, especially if Stephen moves over to NT, which is his better position.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Kline was RG...and now Elflein has been moved to that side, apparently.

59 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Is Kline still unsigned?  That move still befuddles me, he was solid last season.  Perhaps with more cap space, we can re-sign him?  Thoughts?

Wouldn't call him solid, definitely not beyond being replaced and had some injury trouble.

14 hours ago, RpMc said:

Wouldn't call him solid, definitely not beyond being replaced and had some injury trouble.

I would say that he was one of the most consistent of the offensive linemen last year and they didn't often have to worry as much about him.  Yes, he was certainly a replaceable piece, but I'm not sure that his replacement will necessarily give the same or better performance.

• Like 1