Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

If he doesn't win the starting LG job, he'll get cut, as they can keep Brett Jones as the backup C for a lot less money.

You really think so? I know that Elflein's rookie contract got a little less affordable because he got the $2M escalator but it still isn't out of line for an experienced backup with versatility. 

14 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

You really think so? I know that Elflein's rookie contract got a little less affordable because he got the $2M escalator but it still isn't out of line for an experienced backup with versatility. 

For $1.5M savings, I don't think there's any significant difference between Jones and Elflein.  

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

For $1.5M savings, I don't think there's any significant difference between Jones and Elflein.  

Fair enough. I wouldn't be at all sad if Elflein was cut. It absolutely blew my mind that the team went into last year counting on Elflein to start at LG. I do think that he could be a viable backup but I can't argue with saving $1.5M either. Maybe that can be invested into overpaying a free agent about that much to come help the line if two of the candidates this year prove themselves.

Based on Zimmer's press conference that just took place, it sounds like Stephen will likely be moving over to replace Pierce at NT.  Which means that the 3T job will be up for grabs between Johnson, Lynch, Mata'afa, and Holmes, while Watts will likely be Stephen's backup. 

Yeah I think Elflein sticks in either case, even as a backup.

If he does lose the starting job, the guards are likely to be Cleveland-Samia, or Collins-Cleveland or something similar -- two new starters with little or no experience. I don't think they'll want to commit to those guys starting 16 games with Dozier as the only other option. And Elflein is also no worse than the 2nd best C on the team (and might even be the best, unless Bradbury improves). 

Despite Kubiak not mentioning Samia in the press conference, I'm sticking with my OL prediction: 

Starters: Reiff/Cleveland or Cleveland/Reiff (apparently Reiff sticks at LT) - Bradbury - Samia - O'Neill
Backups: Hill, Elflein, Collins, Dozier, Udoh
...with an outside chance either Collins or Dozier gets released in favor of keeping Brandel or Hinton.

Edited by Krauser

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Exactly what I expected. I’m guessing one, or both guards will change before week one. 

Yep yep. That is what I have been thinking since they didn't use free agency to solve the interior offensive line hole too. I know a lot of people around here. I don't know if Samia can pass Elflein in the depth chart. Cleveland may have a better shot but that would require him being a quick study. It would asking a lot to expect either of those guys to start at guard but when the only thing between them and being a starter is Pat Elflein it isn't stretch to think one of them may be given the chance. Not to mention, Dozier is no better then Elflein. Fans just aren't sick of seeing his play yet.

My concern is that one of those young guys is going to be given the starting job rather than having them earn the starting job. If nobody earns the job the team will have to give it to someone though and it may be better to give it to a young guy instead of the guys that already have had opportunities that they squandered.

It seems to me that the 1st team listed there may be what the team trots out there week one. That thought causes me to throw up a little in the back of my throat.