Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Osborn will only be on the team if he gets the PR job, which he's the favorite for at this point...and if that's the case, it's likely that they keep 6 WRs.  

I'd like that. I'd really like to see if Osborn can be used as a gadget player as well.

Spielman likes drafting those types it seems.

The Vikings have not made an announcement about whether there will be fans at U.S. Bank Stadium when the Vikings host the Packers in Week One, but head coach Mike Zimmer hinted about what that announcement will be when it comes.

Zimmer said Friday that “it looks like we’re not going to have any fans in there early” and said that “really stinks” because of how involved the team’s fans get during games. Crowd sizes in Minnesota are limited to 250 people at the moment and Zimmer said it didn’t make sense to open the building to that number of people.

Other places have less stringent rules governing crowd sizes and Zimmer took issue with the lack of uniformity when it comes to having people in the stands for games.

“I think there are some unfair things going on around it as far as some teams can have fans and some teams can’t,” Zimmer said, via Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “So I think there is a competitive disadvantage in some of those areas.”

Zimmer said the team will scrimmage at the stadium next Friday with “the scoreboard going and the lights and all the stuff, and the crowd noise that they’ll hear during the game” so that players are used to it before facing the Packers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/21/mike-zimmer-lack-of-uniform-rule-on-fans-creates-competitive-disadvantage/

On 8/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I doubt Beebe makes the team, especially if the plan is to have Jefferson immediately play the slot receiver, and maybe we can stash Osborn onto the practice squad without losing him.

If that happens, Hollins should be able to take the 5th spot without problem.

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Beebe is still rotating in with the 1st team. Kubiak talked about a rotation of the top 4 WRs, and so far that's been Thielen, Bisi, Jefferson and Beebe. Maybe Sharpe moves ahead of Beebe eventually, but that hasn't happened yet. 

Right now, I think Sharpe is the odd man out. As long as Jefferson can play outside at least occasionally, they wouldn't be using Sharpe except as an injury backup. AFAIK he doesn't play special teams. 

Hollins maybe makes the team as a redshirt backup (often inactive on game days), but they might try to stash him on the PS again. 

I think they'll keep Osborn as a WR5 or WR6 (depending if Hollins sticks) and returner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

Do you think we're moving on from Dalvin after this season? I keep hearing reports that he and the Vikings can't agree on a new contract. If I had to guess, he wants a lot of money and the team is wary of committing not only to a RB, but a RB who can't stay on the field.

It might just depend on how this year goes.  If he blows up he'll chase a big payday and he should.  If he misses time, he might just come back for decent money.

I wonder if tue Vikings pull their previous offer if he gets hurt again.  Hard to see paying even 7-8 million to a guy who cant make it 16 games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

It might just depend on how this year goes.  If he blows up he'll chase a big payday and he should.  If he misses time, he might just come back for decent money.

I wonder if tue Vikings pull their previous offer if he gets hurt again.  Hard to see paying even 7-8 million to a guy who cant make it 16 games.

If he blows up, I’d expect the Vikings would seriously consider the franchise tag. I think he’ll be back, one way or another, unless he gets injured again. In that case, I’d see the Vikings cutting bait and hoping for a compensatory pick. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Krauser said:

Right now, I think Sharpe is the odd man out.

That wouldn’t surprise me at all. 

I said earlier this offseason that if Bisi Johnson takes another step forward, I don’t see the point of keeping Sharpe as the two seem fairly redundant in what they bring to the roster. 

A week into full-team practices at Vikings training camp and the order at wide receiver is beginning to crystalize. Rookie first-rounder Justin Jefferson is continuing to mount hype towards his first season in the NFL, but the Vikings may be taking things slow with Jefferson.

Instead, it’s Bisi Johnson in his second year who is emerging as the No. 2 wide receiver behind Pro-Bowler Adam Thielen. Johnson, a 2019 seventh-round pick out of Colorado State, surprised in training camp last season and earned a spot on the roster, eventually taking over as a starter after Thielen suffered hamstring and ankle injuries.

Johnson came into training camp improved and has continually developed trust with offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, who actively reached out to Johnson before he was drafted.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/08/vikings-bisi-johnson-justin-jefferson-wide-receiver/?fbclid=IwAR2d_12mrC-NuBbQrZaH2eU4O2mE9d15hadMlJNXwZq-jOAXfOgZYlmTYU8

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I would laugh if Bisi Johnson burst on to the scene after drafting Jefferson in the 1st round, just like Thielen did after the team drafted Treadwell. 

I love our depth. Thielen is in his 30s. Could end up seeing Jefferson and Johnson taking over in a couple years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I would laugh if Bisi Johnson burst on to the scene after drafting Jefferson in the 1st round, just like Thielen did after the team drafted Treadwell. 

If Bisi can hit Theilens level then that's a win.  I think Jefferson definitely looks like he can contribute immediately though.