Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Has Kene ever played in punt coverage?  That's the only other special teams he could play on.  And last I've heard there's several others on punt coverage that already would have a leg up on him, notably a guy like NaJee Thompson, who sounds like he's been one of the guys standing out on special teams.   

We ran a fake with him once against Baltimore lol

• Like 1

That speculation turned out to be useless as Hockenson suffered from an ear infection that affected his equilibrium, and he couldn’t take part in practices because of it, as he explained on Monday:

TJ: "I had an ear infection that has messed with my equilibrium. So I’m just taking it slow and trying to get back as quickly as I can. I want to be out there with the boys obviously, my favorite thing is playing football with the guys in the locker room and having a great time with them, so it stinks but I gotta get ready for September and that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

The concerns about a possible hold-in were overblown as neither the Vikings nor Hockenson seemed to stress about the contract situation. 

As long as Hockenson is out, it is on Johnny Mundt and new addition Josh Oliver to run the show in the tight end group. Oliver’s presence could unlock even more for Hockenson in the passing game, as he doesn’t have to be the primary blocker. Certainly, his versatility is about to increase.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/speculation-was?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:18 PM, AP_allday2869 said:

🙄

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/native-american-group-threatens-commanders-boycott-name-change

Contrary to what has been reported in the liberal media that supports the recent name change, the Native American community says otherwise:

excerpt:

In its letter to the Washington Commanders, signed by Eunice Davidson, the group's founder and president, the group points to a poll that found that 90% of Native Americans did not find the Redskins name offensive. The group also pointed to how other sports teams, including the Kansas City Chiefs and the Chicago Blackhawks, have kept their Native American-inspired names while recognizing that the names carry "an obligation of honor and respect."

"At this moment in history, we are formally requesting that the team revitalize its relationship with the American Indian community by (i) changing the name back to 'The Redskins' which recognizes America's original inhabitants and (ii) using the team's historic name and legacy to encourage Americans to learn about, not cancel, the history of America's tribes and our role in the founding of this Great Nation," the letter read.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purplexing said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/native-american-group-threatens-commanders-boycott-name-change

Contrary to what has been reported in the liberal media that supports the recent name change, the Native American community says otherwise:

excerpt:

In its letter to the Washington Commanders, signed by Eunice Davidson, the group's founder and president, the group points to a poll that found that 90% of Native Americans did not find the Redskins name offensive. The group also pointed to how other sports teams, including the Kansas City Chiefs and the Chicago Blackhawks, have kept their Native American-inspired names while recognizing that the names carry "an obligation of honor and respect."

"At this moment in history, we are formally requesting that the team revitalize its relationship with the American Indian community by (i) changing the name back to 'The Redskins' which recognizes America's original inhabitants and (ii) using the team's historic name and legacy to encourage Americans to learn about, not cancel, the history of America's tribes and our role in the founding of this Great Nation," the letter read.

In 2020, researchers from the University of Michiganand UC Berkeley published a journal article on the results of an empirical study analyzing data from 1,021 Native Americans, twice the size of previous samples. It included Native Americans from all 50 states representing 148 tribes. 69% of participants identified as "Cisgender women; transgender, nonbinary, and genderqueer", with the remaining 31% of the demographics being "Cisgender Men". The researchers found that 49% of self-identified Native Americans found the Washington Redskins name offensive or very offensive, 38% found it not offensive, and 13% were indifferent. In addition, for study participants who were heavily engaged in their native or tribal cultures, 67% said they were offended, for young people 60%, and those with tribal affiliations 52%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_opinion_polls#:~:text=In May 2016%2C The Washington,bothered" by the team's name.

I know this is just trolling since you do something like this pretty much every offseason and then disappear when the actual football season starts, but it wouldn’t be right to let you post tabloid garbage with debunked polls and not call it out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Purplexing said:

Are you a moderator now?

I am. 

I’ve been asked to step in and remind people to keep it to football. Please keep anything semi-related to football (such as name changes and the socio-political aspect of the changes) away from this site.

tks.

-ET

• Like 3

On 8/15/2023 at 7:07 AM, vike daddy said:

That speculation turned out to be useless as Hockenson suffered from an ear infection that affected his equilibrium, and he couldn’t take part in practices because of it, as he explained on Monday:

TJ: "I had an ear infection that has messed with my equilibrium. So I’m just taking it slow and trying to get back as quickly as I can. I want to be out there with the boys obviously, my favorite thing is playing football with the guys in the locker room and having a great time with them, so it stinks but I gotta get ready for September and that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

The concerns about a possible hold-in were overblown as neither the Vikings nor Hockenson seemed to stress about the contract situation. 

As long as Hockenson is out, it is on Johnny Mundt and new addition Josh Oliver to run the show in the tight end group. Oliver’s presence could unlock even more for Hockenson in the passing game, as he doesn’t have to be the primary blocker. Certainly, his versatility is about to increase.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/speculation-was?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I love Oliver getting extra reps to get all-the-more integrated into this offensive system.  So, I don't mind Hockenson wanting to avoid injury before he gets his new contract with some period of injury guarantees.

• Like 3