Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Jones started 12 games at center for the Giants after Weston Richburg was injured last season, but fell behind Jon Halapio this year as the team rebuilt their offensive line under new head coach Pat Shurmur. Jones, who is set to make $2.9 million this season and has also played guard, came to the NFL in 2015 after two years in the CFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/26/giants-trade-c-brett-jones-to-the-vikings/

Jones attended the University of Regina in 2009 and was named the Male Athlete of the Year in 2011. He also was a four-time Academic All-Canadian honoree. In 2012, he was named the Canada West Outstanding Lineman (J.P. Metras Trophy) and Outstanding Student-Athlete (Russ Jackson Award).

Jones participated in the CFL Combine in Toronto in March 2013. He was drafted in the second round, 16th overall by the Calgary Stampeders that May, and was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Rookie that season. Jones also won the Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman Award and helped the Stampeders win the Grey Cup in 2014.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-new-vikings-ol-c-brett-jones

I am assuming that Jones was signed to start at center. The team isn't trading for an almost $3M contract for a backup center. I know many here were less concerned about the injury to Elflein as it pertains to '18 than I was but this trade does nothing to ease my concerns about Elflein's readiness to play this year.

It is later than I would prefer but I am glad that the team at least tried to do something about the dire system on the line. I don't know anything more about Jones than what I read in this thread but at least he is another piece the team can work with. Hopefully the team can cobble something together that won't hold the team back from its potential. The offensive line unit has been holding the team back for a long, long time.

It looks like Jones is a free agent after this year. Hopefully the team signs at least two offensive linemen in free agency next year. At least one of them should be a high end free agent. I understand that this will mean letting another piece go but the team absolutely needs to solve the offensive line. It is too important of a piece to not keep trying until they get to at least average. Offensive line is very important to team success.

If Jones is as good at pass blocking as PFF says he is, that will be absolutely huge. Cousins is going to need a pocket and to avoid pressure up the middle. I love the trade. Low cost for a big position of need, and we picked a guy still on a roster as opposed to someone who was cut. 

Not a good idea. Edison is completely overmatched and is a center only. Compton has at least some versatility/value, but I agree he shouldn't be a starter.

Honestly my idea line to start the year assuming that Elflein can't go is:

Reiff - Remmers - Jones - Isidora - O'Neill

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If Jones is as good at pass blocking as PFF says he is, that will be absolutely huge. Cousins is going to need a pocket and to avoid pressure up the middle. I love the trade. Low cost for a big position of need, and we picked a guy still on a roster as opposed to someone who was cut. 

• smart guy
  • previous team captain
  • lots of starts
  • played in pressure games
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Not a good idea. Edison is completely overmatched and is a center only. Compton has at least some versatility/value, but I agree he shouldn't be a starter.

I'm not sure where I said otherwise?

The fact is, until Elflein is ready to go, it'd be foolish to go into games without a backup option. Edison may be overmatched, but he needs to make the team because he's probably going to be the only option we have at C if there were an injury to Jones and Elflein isn't ready.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

I'm not sure where I said otherwise?

The fact is, until Elflein is ready to go, it'd be foolish to go into games without a backup option. Edison may be overmatched, but he needs to make the team because he's probably going to be the only option we have at C if there were an injury to Jones and Elflein isn't ready.

RIght... but you had him starting - not just talking about him making the team. If he has to start, we can expect a lot of issues like we've seen the last two games.

Edited by RpMc