Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, perrynoid said:

How much weight would he have to put on, in your estimation?

As @Klomp said 50lbs would be a solid start. To put that on and keep it on would be EXTREMELY difficult when now he is eating naturally. Could take months by the time he would have that on and to be in football shape.

to look back to high school, I got asked to put on 10 lbs just to move up a couple weigh classes to wrestle against another guy in a team match. Extremely difficult and I was on full feed before the gain

I could cut 10 lbs in a day and a half before I could put on 10 lbs and try and not be running for the bathroom. 

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

How have we not paid attention to the offensive line?

Let's see, here's what we're dealing with for our depth....

Reiff: signed last year
Easton: traded for in 2015
Elflein: drafted last year
Remmers: signed last year
Hill: signed in 2016
Compton: signed this year
Collins: signed last year
O'Neill: drafted last year
Isidora: drafted last year
Edison: signed last year
Andrews: signed this year
Gossett: drafted this year
Lang: signed last year
Norton: signed last year
Joseph: signed this year
Quinn: signed this year

So out of the 16 players who are in our facility every day, all but 2 players were added to the roster either last year or this year. Yep, sounds like we don't pay enough attention to the position group. We never bring anyone new in!

My preference would have been to spend more mid-round picks over the last several years.  Also, late round picks and UDFA hardly constitute paying attention to the positions.   Let's just hope our OL can get healthy and have a great year!

14 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

My preference would have been to spend more mid-round picks over the last several years.  Also, late round picks and UDFA hardly constitute paying attention to the positions.   Let's just hope our OL can get healthy and have a great year!

OK, so the problem isn't that we've ignored the position, but that they didn't draft and sign the guys you wanted them to.

Edited by Klomp

2 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Paying more attention to the offensive line would have prevented 4 starters from getting injured?

I mentioned concern several months back that the team was relying on two guys that had pre-existing injury conditions. True, Easton's new injury had nothing to do with what put him on IR at the end of last year, but Elflein's status is directly related to one of his injuries. This isn't the first time the team put too much faith into a linemen coming back from injury. Look at how the team didn't adequately address the line when they put too much faith into Sullivan and Loadholt coming back. The team got caught off guard when Mike Harris was unable to go. They continually think that guys that are injured will be able to come back. All too often that isn't true. The team never should have been counting on Easton and Elflein until they actually were back. It isn't just offensive lineman either. Look at Sharrif Floyd.

The team has not adequately addressed the offensive line in a long, long time.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I mentioned concern several months back that the team was relying on two guys that had pre-existing injury conditions. True, Easton's new injury had nothing to do with what put him on IR at the end of last year, but Elflein's status is directly related to one of his injuries.

Putting high capital into a center two years in a row is your solution? Yet you wanted to rely on Teddy at QB.

Edited by Klomp

I could put on 50 lbs in 3 weeks...Just point me to a Dunkin' Donuts with about $10,000 in gift cards...their coffee with cream and sugar would take care of the first 30 pounds, and a rotating assortment of donuts would account for the last 20. Although I don't know how well I would perform in diabetic shock...

Edited by wcblack34
used "an" instead of "a"...rookie move

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

OK, so the problem isn't that we've ignored the position, but that they didn't draft and sign the guys you wanted them to.

It's not specific draftees per se;; instead, what particularly perplexed me was passing on OL mid-round talent for other positions.  In the recent past, there have been a number of quality IOL that were available in the mid-rounds, often due to teams overemphasizing other positional needs.  But I suppose we can and will be having this conversation ad nauseum until many of us fans are convinced the front office starts paying sufficient attention to the OL.

10 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I mentioned concern several months back that the team was relying on two guys that had pre-existing injury conditions. True, Easton's new injury had nothing to do with what put him on IR at the end of last year, but Elflein's status is directly related to one of his injuries. This isn't the first time the team put too much faith into a linemen coming back from injury. Look at how the team didn't adequately address the line when they put too much faith into Sullivan and Loadholt coming back. The team got caught off guard when Mike Harris was unable to go. They continually think that guys that are injured will be able to come back. All too often that isn't true. The team never should have been counting on Easton and Elflein until they actually were back. It isn't just offensive lineman either. Look at Sharrif Floyd.

The team was caught off guard when Easton had a new injury pop up? Weird. The team was caught off guard when Mike Harris had a mysterious injury pop up? Weird. 

The team continuously believes that players can recover from injuries because under most normal circumstances they can. The Harris and Floyd injuries were aberrations. With your line of thinking, Adrian Peterson's ACL injury should have been the end of his career and Dalvin Cook should be done as well. We may as well fire the medical staff because if someone gets injured they will not be able to come back. 

It would be nice to be 3 deep at every OL position, but if you do that then you are pouring all of your resources into the OL and then you would complain about lack of depth at other positions. Would you trade Dalvin Cook, Mike Hughes, and Danielle Hunter for Ethan Pocic, Austin Corbett, and Chaz Green? I wouldn't. Those were the next OL drafted after our selections.  We have taken swings in the draft as well. Clemmings and Beavers didn't work. They don't all pan out.

They are being cautious with Elflein. He should be back. It is frustrating that people think this team hasn't put resources into the offensive line. A ton of teams are desperate for help on the OL, it's not just us. We have had some bad injury luck that has made us thin. That stinks, but it is what it is. I would rather keep our talent then let guys like Diggs and Hunter walk so we could pursue a Solder or Norwell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Like who?

Like Pat Elflein. Who we took. 

The pick after Elflein was Dan Feeny. After that, there wasn't any OL taken that look to be high impact guys at this stage. 

In 2016, yes it would have been nice to have Cody Whitehair over Mac Alexander. We did, however, take Beavers in the 4th.

If people want to argue that this team is not good at evaluating offensive lineman, then I think that is a fair argument. However, saying that this team doesn't devote resources to the offensive line is not a fair argument in my opinion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

In 2016, yes it would have been nice to have Cody Whitehair over Mac Alexander.

I don’t consider the 2nd round a mid round. 

And tou are 100% correct. This team’s evaluation of o-linemen has been very questionable, but they certainly have not neglected the position group. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Sorry, but this is just hindsight malarky

12 hours ago, Klomp said:

Putting high capital into a center two years in a row is your solution? Yet you wanted to rely on Teddy at QB.

Huh?

You are making up things that do not exist. I said nothing about putting high capital into a center two years in a row nor did I saw anything about wanting to rely on Teddy at QB.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:37 AM, SemperFeist said:

Sorry, but this is just hindsight malarky

Disagreed. It is neither malarkey nor hindsight. I was concerned about it several months back. Here is what I wrote on May 1 on this board:

"The team has addressed offensive line but they have not effectively addressed it to solve the problem.

The '18 offensive line is more likely to be worse than the '17 offensive line than show improvement IMO. There is a variety of reasons for that. One of them is the transition from Case Keenum to Kirk Cousins. Cousins hasn't been real good throughout his career with bailing out his offensive line. Another reason is the loss of Berger. Another is the injuries that Elflein and Easton are coming back from."

I still believe the same thing and my belief is further reinforced by the happenings since then.

Edited by Cearbhall
s/malarky not/malarkey nor/
  • Like 1