Blake Griffin traded to Detroit

bigbadbuff23835

Is Blake Griffin really only worth a mid 1st round pick, Avery Bradley on an expiring contract, and Tobias Harris ($16M next year, then FA)? At face value I have 0 issue with the Clippers wanting to rebuild and move on from Blake (of course I find it absolutely idiotic and a clear sign they don't know what they are doing when you consider that they gave him a giant contract in June and made moves that suggested they wanted to win now), I just find it so hard to believe that this is the best return they could have gotten for him. Avery is a good player on a dirt cheap contract at the moment (making him a good target for contenders, you'd think) but he will get a contract next year that he deserves, which will take away a lot of his value. Solid starting guard, offers a lot on the defensive end, capable scorer, but literally nothing else. Am I not seeing the value of Tobias Harris or something?

Or am I over valuing Blake? I view him as a top 20 player, all-NBA caliber, 1st option, and the type of a guy you can build around. Definitely one the weakest of the "guys you can build around," but he's one of them IMO.

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Is Blake Griffin really only worth a mid 1st round pick, Avery Bradley on an expiring contract, and Tobias Harris ($16M next year, then FA)? At face value I have 0 issue with the Clippers wanting to rebuild and move on from Blake (of course I find it absolutely idiotic and a clear sign they don't know what they are doing when you consider that they gave him a giant contract in June), I just find it so hard to believe that this is the best return they could have gotten for him. Avery is a good player on a dirt cheap contract at the moment (making him a good target for contenders, you'd think) but he will get a contract next year that he deserves, which will take away a lot of his value. Solid starting guard, offers a lot on the defensive end, capable scorer, but literally nothing else. Am I not seeing the value of Tobias Harris or something?

Blakes contract is massive and he has an injury history. 

47 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Teams need to stop trying to play both sides of a rebuild.  The Clippers couldn't get Kennard or Johnson?  Embrace the tank (they owe Boston their 1st rounder in 2019 if they make the playoffs) and flip Bradley, Harris, and trade Jordan and Williams.  Playing both sides is a mistake that gets you stuck in the middle.

I wonder how many other teams that are buying knew that Griffin was available.

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Or am I over valuing Blake? I view him as a top 20 player, all-NBA caliber, 1st option, and the type of a guy you can build around. Definitely one the weakest of the "guys you can build around," but he's one of them IMO.

You have to consider Griffin's contract and injury history.  Plus look at the packages it took to get all the stars and superstars over the last year.  Right about in line since the Clippers decided they wanted to try and rebuild and compete.

10 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Is Blake Griffin really only worth a mid 1st round pick, Avery Bradley on an expiring contract, and Tobias Harris ($16M next year, then FA)? At face value I have 0 issue with the Clippers wanting to rebuild and move on from Blake (of course I find it absolutely idiotic and a clear sign they don't know what they are doing when you consider that they gave him a giant contract in June and made moves that suggested they wanted to win now), I just find it so hard to believe that this is the best return they could have gotten for him. Avery is a good player on a dirt cheap contract at the moment (making him a good target for contenders, you'd think) but he will get a contract next year that he deserves, which will take away a lot of his value. Solid starting guard, offers a lot on the defensive end, capable scorer, but literally nothing else. Am I not seeing the value of Tobias Harris or something?

Honestly I think I agree with everything you are saying. It's sad being a Pistons fan, but, really it was hard or is hard to expect much more than this with the current landscape of the NBA.

Tobias Harris would of been great for a team that needs a secondary or off the bench scorer. He'll get buckets. I don't see how he keeps the Clippers even/treading water with the addition of him and Bradley.

Blake got his money so I'm sure he's never going to be too upset, but he has to be thinking he messed up not taking any free agency meetings and signing somewhere else right now.

If he had signed in Phoenix then it's very possible Kyrie is in Phoenix with him instead of Boston.

51 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Considering Blake went for a non-lottery pick, Jordan and Bradley together are not worth a top 6 pick.  That'd be bad.

If the Cavs can attach the terrible contracts of Smith and Thompson, it wouldn’t be. 

Jordan, Bradley for Nets 1st, Thompson, Smith

Jordan

Love

James

Bradley

Thomas

Archived